Quick Power Amp On/Off question

• Hi All -

Picked up a Kemper Power Rack and unpowered Kabinet. Love them. I also have a non-powered Kemper in the studio.

If I wanted to use the powered Kemper the same as I do with the unpowered (studio monitors, spdif into audio interface), is it a simple matter of turning off the power amp switch in the output section and using it just like an unpowered? I have read the section in the manual, but it's a little confusing to me. :)

Thanks for any info!

• I turn off the power amp whenever I don't want to use the kabinet even though the kabinet is always connected when in the studio.

Another point to be made is that it really doesn't make sense to leave the power amp checked on if no kabinet is hooked up. Turn on when you need it and turn off when you don't.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Please let us know, how to improve the clarity of this sentence in the Main Manual:

¨   Power Amp Switch

“Power Amp On” activates the built-in power amp. There is no specific need to switch it off when not in use; unlike a tube power amp, the built-in Class D amp is not in any danger when you have no speaker connected. Nevertheless, you may want to switch it off to reduce energy consumption.

• Burkhard - my question wasn't if I can turn the power amp off and on. I am aware of that. My question was whether it is that switch alone, or other settings to make the powered Kemper behave the same as an unpowered Kemper for recording, etc.

If I wanted to use the powered Kemper the same as I do with the unpowered (studio monitors, spdif into audio interface), is it a simple matter of turning off the power amp switch in the output section and using it just like an unpowered?

• Burkhard - my question wasn't if I can turn the power amp off and on. I am aware of that. My question was whether it is that switch alone, or other settings to make the powered Kemper behave the same as an unpowered Kemper for recording, etc.

I'll answer that: It makes no difference to the signals of the Main Outputs (and if going into an Interface), and/or the SPDIF connections if the Power Amp is off or on. The signals are the same -- so recordings are the same.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.