Would this work? Line6 Shortboard mkII + Kenton Midi USB Host!

• Doing some research for a suitable pedalboard for the Kemper, I was thinking of the Line6 Shortboard mkII since I like the size and the features.
    But since it's only sending either its own protocol over the R45j cable or Midi messaged via the USB port, something has do some translation here.

[Blocked Image: http://www.tunnelvisionmusic.com/assets/images/products/fbv.jpg]

Then I ran into the Kenton Midi USB Host, a small box that will translate midi messages to/from a Class Compliant USB device to standard Midi DIN.

[Blocked Image: http://www.fukusan.com/products/kenton/midi_usb_host/img/midi_usb_host_main_m.jpg]

Wouldn't this solve the issue?

(of course, if the KPA could listen to midi over the USB port the Kenton would not be necessary...

/Janne)

• Quite sure...

From Kentons description:
    "Your USB device is plugged into the USB MIDI Host instead of into a computer. It provides MIDI In & Out sockets for USB MIDI keyboards and controllers which have only a USB B type socket. For example, used with a USB-Solo, it allows the USB-Solo to be used in a standard MIDI setup, just like a Pro-Solo. It has a USB Host port (USB A type socket), a MIDI In and a MIDI Out (both 5 pin DIN).
    MIDI data received at the MIDI In socket will be sent to the USB device. MIDI data received from the
    USB device will be sent to the MIDI Out socket.
    The attached USB MIDI device MUST be 'Class Compliant'.
    The MIDI USB HOST is powered by a regulated 5V mains adaptor (supplied), and can supply up to
    500mA of buss power to the attached USB device."

/Janne

• I think he meant the Line 6 floorboard ;)

If this was possible I would consider this option as well. Ideal would be to connect the line 6 board to the kemper via R45j, but thats impossible I guess...

EDIT: Just found some statements on the line6 homepage:

"We all know the FBV Shortboard MkII can be used to control all kinds of
    audio applications via MIDI over its USB connection (if you’re not
    familiar with what it can do, check out some of the video tutorials
    posted on our Line 6 Support Youtube Channel)"

"Take full advantage of FBV Shortboard MkII with the free and
    downloadable FBV Control software. The application shows you a graphical
    representation of your FBV Shortboard MkII and lets you customize the
    midi commands you send via USB."

Edited once, last by Steeldom ().

• I think he meant the Line 6 floorboard ;)

Ahh..! :thumbup:

I know that Line6 have been pushing this as a feature, using the USB to control any Midi compatible application, like using it to start/stop recording in Logic/Pro Tools. Basically anything that listens to Midi control messages can be controlled by the Shortboard.

The thing that makes it possible is that the Shortboard MKII is designed as a 'Class Compliant' USB midi device, so no drivers are necessary.
    And that is the prerequisite for the Kenton box to work too.

I've seen a lot of posts were people are controlling non-Line6 stuff via midi, but it has always been either:
    Shortboard -> USB -> Computer -> Midi -> device
    OR
    Shortboard -> R45j -> Line6 Amp -> Midi -> Device.

I guess one could use an old PodXT as a translator too, You could probably pick one up second-hand for the same price as the Kenton box. :D

/Janne

• So - connecting an FBV Shortboard mkII to this device should work, but what CC/PC data is being passed through to the Kemper?
    Is this thing programmable to translate what it's receiving to specific CC#s?

The statement above; "FBV Control software. The application shows you a graphicalrepresentation of your FBV Shortboard MkII and lets you customize the midi commands you send via USB." makes me think that I can program the MKII to send specific CC#s, but I've not checked it out yet.
    If that's the case; shouldn't this thing just work without much effort other than programming the FBV to send the right CC#s?

Edited once, last by jimosity ().

• I've been using the Line 6 shortboard MKII (*** It HAS to be the MKII with the USB port! ***) with the Disaster Area gHost Converter with my Kemper. I've done several live shows and band practices with it with zero issues; it's awesome.