Harsh sound on Kemper for absolute no reason

• The second track is much louder but doesn't sound "bad" I don't hear clipping or anything particularly wrong just much higher volume. I notice that your settings don't have -12db ticked but the actual level is -17db. However, Main Output is currently linked to the Master Volume control so if you touched that for any reason (Monitor Out and possibly also Headphone Out are also linked to the Master Volume for example) then the level hitting the interface would also be changed.

• I copied both recordings and normalized them so they are both around the same volume.

Note: The thin sounding version is inverted from the good sounding version. Peaks are positive for thin and peaks are negative for good. This does not matter to how it sounds but shows something is different.

The thin sounding version sounds like there is a phase issue. It sounds like you are getting two signals mixed together that are not in phase so the bass is being nulled out. This can happen if you have a stereo effect on but are summing the left/right channels together to make a mono signal? Make sure the Kemper is stereo out and your recording in stereo in your DAW.

How are you connected to the recording interface? Maybe the Kemper thinks you are connected with balanced connectors and you are using unbalanced cables? This is less likely to be the issue, but maybe possible?

EDIT:

We have all heard this sound before when you have a stereo headphone plug that is not connected correctly. Are you using the Headphone out when recording? Maybe it is not connecting correctly so the L/R are being summed together.

• The second track is much louder but doesn't sound "bad" I don't hear clipping or anything particularly wrong just much higher volume. I notice that your settings don't have -12db ticked but the actual level is -17db. However, Main Output is currently linked to the Master Volume control so if you touched that for any reason (Monitor Out and possibly also Headphone Out are also linked to the Master Volume for example) then the level hitting the interface would also be changed.

This sounds like a good candidate for the issue.

As you are a new user, just want to assure you that its not normal behaviour. Having gigged with my KPA for nearly 8 years, I've never had an issue with the sound changing.

Unfortunately for some reason I can't listen to your clips so its only others comments on the issue.

So, its either:

1) A change with you interface/DAW settings - do the headphone check to rule it out

2) Unlink volumes - if its gain/volume issue, most likely to be this. You don't want them linked anyway.

3) A fault - check your spam folder as support are pretty prompt to respond.