Kemper Stage Output Issues

• Hey Guys. I’m hoping I can get some help. I just got a stage. I’m coming from the helix with a built in interface. I have a motu track 16 interface hooked up now with my kemper. I’m new to this. I can’t get sound from my studio monitors.

My set up is xlr cables going into kemper, trs cable going from main outputs on motu into studio monitors. Usb going from laptop to computer. Guitar input into kemper.

I have a signal. The lights flash on motu when I strum guitar, and I get a signal in reaper when I record, but I can’t get sound from my studio monitors. Is it a setting on my computer or kemper that I need to change? Thanks!

• Sounds like your input is muted on your motu interface. Find the mixer software for it and unmute. I assume that you have sound when you play recorded tracks in Reaper?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• No, I don’t have sound when using reaper. I was just curious if I had connected everything right, so I pulled up reaper, added a track and started recording. When I strummed my guitar the track responded and showed it was recording, but I could t hear it. Any ideas? Or do you still think it’s just muted?

• Yes, I have the drivers installed. So if I have this right, I need two xlr cables, not xlr on one end and trs at the other. I go from the back of the stage with xlr to motu interface mic 1 and 2 slots. Then I got trs cables from main outs on motu to studio monitors. Is that correct?

Reaper finds my interface. I can record a track and it shows that it’s recording something, but I can’t hear it. I confirmed that monitoring is on.

Super frustrating. I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong.

• in the cue mix software, it shows bars on the inputs but nothing on the outputs. Is that the problem? I have a loop going on the stage of me just strumming random notes so if the sound kicks in I’ll know it. Lol

• The cable does not matter. It can be XLR or TS, or XLR<-->TS.

In Reaper, go to Options>Preferences>Audio>Device ---and make sure your Output Range covers your monitors going out from your interface. I have 4 outs so my first: Out 1, and last: Out 4. Your names my be different.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Tried it. It didn’t change anything. I appreciate your help with it tho. Is it possible a setting on my computer that has to be changed to get sound? It seems like there’s no output from my interface, but there should be

• I gave up. Back to using my helix. Old technology drives me insane. I should have done my research. Lol. Thanks for your help!

• I don't think that means when using the Helix as the USB interface. Do you hear anything from the Helix when it's plugged into the Motu the same way you're connecting the Kemper?

When using the Motu are you sure you're connecting its outputs to your studio monitors?

• in the cue mix software, it shows bars on the inputs but nothing on the outputs. Is that the problem? I have a loop going on the stage of me just strumming random notes so if the sound kicks in I’ll know it. Lol

If you see no level indication on on the output meter in Reaper, you are not sending the signal to the main bus. In other words, your monitors may be setup correctly but the main bus has no signal to send.

"Faith don't need no second opinion"

• Super frustrating and complicated. With my helix and fractal units, you just plug a usb cable in and immediately get sound. This is complicated and nothing seems to work.

• Maybe a stupid question, but could I just go usb from kemper to motu? And then have xlr cables go from kemper to studio monitors for sound? Would that work for recording?

• The Helix and a lot of other devices include USB audio, so they work as an interface. The Kemper has SPDIF, but not USB audio. The USB on the Kemper is just to connect Rig Manager or to use a thumb drive.

So when you use the Helix, it is working as your computer's audio device. For the MOTU, if you're using Windows, try to find your Sound Settings and make sure the MOTU is set as the default sound device. Same thing if you're using a MAC but I can't tell you where to look. Or just contact MOTU support. I'm sure they can get you set up easily.

Or if you don't want to do that, you might try running the Kemper outs into inputs on the Helix. I'm not sure what inputs the Helix has, but I you might be able to use the effect returns or it looks like it has a SPDIF on at least one picture I see. But that might be more complicated than just getting the MOTU working...

• Note that when the Motu, or other brand, is connected to Windows, you can click on your speaker icon in the taskbar to change from studio monitors to desktop speakers during youtube or other video/music playback. Provided you actually have desktop speakers connected to the computer and studio monitors connected to the interface.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.