Kemper at NAMM 2022

• Fender, Gibson, PRS and many others did not attend this year.

The show is intentionally about half the size of a normal year, as well as three days instead of the usual 4. All planned as a result of the pandemic.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited once, last by Ruefus ().

• It was cancelled earlier this year for COVID reasons and rescheduled to this month which probably killed the sponsor attendance scheduling, and add to that flight cancellations.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• No need for it IMO. Old business model that can easily and effectively be bypassed without the added costs, hassles and production down time for attending.

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

• No need for it IMO. Old business model that can easily and effectively be bypassed without the added costs, hassles and production down time for attending.

Nah. Trade shows will be back in full-force soon enough. There is no replacement for in-person.

• Nah. Trade shows will be back in full-force soon enough. There is no replacement for in-person.

"In Person" can be done other ways without the massive NAMM costs. No dealer is going to get face time with every company that they do business with at NAMM, it's just not possible. Tech and current business practices has left NAMM and that model behind a decade ago (or more).

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

• "In Person" can be done other ways without the massive NAMM costs. No dealer is going to get face time with every company that they do business with at NAMM, it's just not possible. Tech and current business practices has left NAMM and that model behind a decade ago (or more).

I think you’ll find that the $15 billion trade show industry will certainly change - but go exactly nowhere. It isn’t just about getting face time with existing dealers. That’s one tiny part of what goes on.

The business done and relationships built on the show floor, at evening events, in restaurants and hotel bars after hours cannot be replaced with technology anymore than a concert video can replace actually being there.

• I think you’ll find that the $15 billion trade show industry will certainly change - but go exactly nowhere. It isn’t just about getting face time with existing dealers. That’s one tiny part of what goes on.

The business done and relationships built on the show floor, at evening events, in restaurants and hotel bars after hours cannot be replaced with technology anymore than a concert video can replace actually being there.

So you clearly agree with what I said. ;)

Since, as you say, it isn't about floor face time then there is absolutely no need for the NAMM costs to talk shop at a bar or restaurant. Have you ever purchased anything online? There are many effective ways to do and conduct successful business now a days. With NAMM, the juice simply isn't worth the squeeze for most companies. YMMV

• So you clearly agree with what I said. ;)

Since, as you say, it isn't about floor face time then there is absolutely no need for the NAMM costs to talk shop at a bar or restaurant. Have you ever purchased anything online? There are many effective ways to do and conduct successful business now a days. With NAMM, the juice simply isn't worth the squeeze for most companies. YMMV

Actually, I vehemently disagree with you.

Mostly because you have an incredibly myopic view of what trade shows are about.

• Actually, I vehemently disagree with you.

Mostly because you have an incredibly myopic view of what trade shows are about.

lol @ myopic view of a trade show. I forget how cutting edge they are... brimming with endless possibilities. Let me guess, you are on the board for NAMM? You work for NAMM? Your great great uncle invented NAMM?

Your inability to elaborate is comedic. Thanks for the entertainment. First two beers are on me.

• lol @ myopic view of a trade show. I forget how cutting edge they are... brimming with endless possibilities. Let me guess, you are on the board for NAMM? You work for NAMM? Your great great uncle invented NAMM?

Your inability to elaborate is comedic. Thanks for the entertainment. First two beers are on me.

First, I don’t drink.

Why elaborate? It’s a $15 billion industry you made obsolete in a message board post.

Clearly you’re smarter than the rest of us.

• First, I don’t drink.

Why elaborate? It’s a $15 billion industry you made obsolete in a message board post.

Clearly you’re smarter than me.

(fixed it for you)

Great! I will get you a fancy sparkling water or something to your liking, fair enough?

Why elaborate? So you don't look like an idiot thinking that a trade show is the only way to do business in the modern world. As long as the sheep are willing to buy floor space, stop production for a week and spring for exorbitant and unnecessary costs to follow the herd of hype there will always be a market for NAMM or any other similar event. I am simply saying there are other ways of doing business that cost less and are just as effective, if not more so, than a trade show. Coming from a multi generational family with ties to businesses that align with the initial "trade show" industry mindset I have evolved and been able to see it for what it is now a days which is simply a glorified party and place to collect and hand out business cards, see old friends and indulge in whatever one wishes. Ask yourself, if it was so vital, wouldn't all the big guns be there? Clearly your unexplained views solidify and outweigh anything I have said because there is only one way to achieve a thing in business and even life for that matter.

• Great! I will get you a fancy sparkling water or something to your liking, fair enough?

Why elaborate? So you don't look like an idiot thinking that a trade show is the only way to do business in the modern world. As long as the sheep are willing to buy floor space, stop production for a week and spring for exorbitant and unnecessary costs to follow the herd of hype there will always be a market for NAMM or any other similar event. I am simply saying there are other ways of doing business that cost less and are just as effective, if not more so, than a trade show. Coming from a multi generational family with ties to businesses that align with the initial "trade show" industry mindset I have evolved and been able to see it for what it is now a days which is simply a glorified party and place to collect and hand out business cards, see old friends and indulge in whatever one wishes. Ask yourself, if it was so vital, wouldn't all the big guns be there? Clearly your unexplained views solidify and outweigh anything I have said because there is only one way to achieve a thing in business and even life for that matter.

Wonderful bait, but for someone else. As for looking like an idiot….that’s certainly one of us.

So…

I bow to your superior intellect in the hopes you’ll step off your soapbox and go away. You win. Yours is superior….whatever.

Can we move on? Or is that another 200+ word opinion/essay as to why not?

Edited 3 times, last by Ruefus ().

• Black and white thinking. Of course NAMM isn't the only way for companies to advertise and make connections. But it is one way. And for many companies a worthwhile investment of time and money to participate in. For others a work related activity that persists irrespective of its value.

Ever have a job in which you get a certain budget for pro development? Get to fly/drive somewhere, stay in a hotel, go out for some meals with some friends or colleagues, attend a conference for a couple days, get out of the office and daily routine. You sit through some workshops, get some swag, hear a bunch of presentations that tell you stuff you've mostly heard before. You go home, not much changes as a result of info you probably could have gotten had you ordered a book on Amazon. But you keep going each year. Why? Because doing something out of the ordinary, even if expensive is fun. Same reason people spend enormous amounts of time and money planning to go on far away vacations to sit around and do the same things they could do within an hour of where they live.

For the big dogs, like Gibson, it's understandable for them to skip. As they have that rare iconic branding that ensures they will always have market share and significance even if less known companies can put out products that surpass theirs in quality for less cost.

• Wonderful bait, but for someone else. As for looking like an idiot….that’s certainly one of us.

So…

I bow to your superior intellect in the hopes you’ll step off your soapbox and go away. You win. Yours is superior….whatever.

Can we move on? Or is that another 200+ word opinion/essay as to why not?

Cute response...weak, but cute.

No bait here. 3 edits though? ;)

It was a simple dialogue which you failed to present your side with any validity. We don't have to agree and in fact might be able to learn something from one another from different perspectives and experiences. I do appreciate your kind and patronizing down talk from your own soapbox though.

• Black and white thinking. Of course NAMM isn't the only way for companies to advertise and make connections. But it is one way. And for many companies a worthwhile investment of time and money to participate in. For others a work related activity that persists irrespective of its value.

Ever have a job in which you get a certain budget for pro development? Get to fly/drive somewhere, stay in a hotel, go out for some meals with some friends or colleagues, attend a conference for a couple days, get out of the office and daily routine. You sit through some workshops, get some swag, hear a bunch of presentations that tell you stuff you've mostly heard before. You go home, not much changes as a result of info you probably could have gotten had you ordered a book on Amazon. But you keep going each year. Why? Because doing something out of the ordinary, even if expensive is fun. Same reason people spend enormous amounts of time and money planning to go on far away vacations to sit around and do the same things they could do within an hour of where they live.

For the big dogs, like Gibson, it's understandable for them to skip. As they have that rare iconic branding that ensures they will always have market share and significance even if less known companies can put out products that surpass theirs in quality for less cost.

When we are talking money it is most times black and white. :)

I do hear and appreciate your points. You make some good ones, thanks for sharing them. The problem I see with the overall of what you said is the companies with the budgets to do such things are the companies that can afford (no pun intended) to skip, as you stated. Most companies don't have those kinds of budgets and I don't know of any company or NAMM worker who just absolutely loves the madness of the NAMM Show. Most people come back worse than they left...lol but I digress. I do get what you are saying and in some ways can agree with the overall if you have the money to burn as a company. From my perspective, few music companies have that kind of cash flow and can afford to take the time off to do so and have the ends justify the means. Again, from a "fun" perspective I get it but from a business perspective I am not convinced the ROI is there.

Good talk though, I appreciated it. :)

• When we are talking money it is most times black and white. :)

I do hear and appreciate your points. You make some good ones, thanks for sharing them. The problem I see with the overall of what you said is the companies with the budgets to do such things are the companies that can afford (no pun intended) to skip, as you stated. Most companies don't have those kinds of budgets and I don't know of any company or NAMM worker who just absolutely loves the madness of the NAMM Show. Most people come back worse than they left...lol but I digress. I do get what you are saying and in some ways can agree with the overall if you have the money to burn as a company. From my perspective, few music companies have that kind of cash flow and can afford to take the time off to do so and have the ends justify the means. Again, from a "fun" perspective I get it but from a business perspective I am not convinced the ROI is there.

Good talk though, I appreciated it. :)

Your points are valid but its not binary.....I read your view as trade shows cost money, there are other routes, therefore no need for trade shows....hence why some companies are not attending.

The landscape hasn't change in the last few months, it changed years ago. The ability for companies to reach out through other means has been there years, if not decades, and yet trade shows still exist across many industries.

I'm not expert ( got to get that out there), I have been part of some trade shows many years ago, but I believe its as much about showing your presence as it is about doing any direct business. Its a element of marketing/advertising etc. The bigger the stand also can be a statement to say " look how dominate we are in this industry" etc.

So, are trade shows obsolete? I don't believe so and their continued existence shows there is some kind of need.

Is the need declining? Seems so although I suspect that's as much of a function of CoVID as well as companies challenging the need. However, market forces also at play here - floor space is expensive because the demand is there. Demand reduces, prices drop, up take increases ( all to a level of course).

My personal belief ( with no real industry knowledge) is that trade shows will remain but maybe not to the level as has been seen previously.

In other words - everyone is right.