Which strings are you using?

• Title says it all. :)

I've been using Ernie Ball 9s on my electrics since forever, and its been something I never really thought much about. Occassionally other brands like D'addario XL get used, mostly because they are cheap alternatives but I keep coming back to EB. I don't hear much of a difference between string brands so it's more about cost and feel for me. But what about coated strings?

(like these here: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B001F…15WH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1)

The only coated string I've tried was on my girlfriend's bass. She plays punk metal stuff and likes black strings:thumbup:! They feel kind of slippery or something. The pink EBs that I'm used to have a powdery dry feel, and the Daddarios even "drier", if that's possible.

I read that they have a longer life, because they are supposed to stay brighter longer because oil doesnt corrode them so quickly. Obviously I just have to buy some and try them out.

What strings are you using, and why? Anyone using coated strings? What's your experience with them?

• 009-042

the heavier bottom strings make no sense IMHO (although I played these sets for over a decade), since it is already necessary to angle the pickups away from the bass strings to get a good balance.
    If you are a riff monster, this might work I guess, but if you're switching between rhythm and lead work a lot, the 042 set is more even IME.

• GHS Boomers 9-46 or 10-46...sometimes ernie ball same gauge....have used elixir coated a few times but they cost like 3 sets of boomers

Did the coated strings really last any longer? I haven't tried boomers in ages.

The thing I've found to help strings live 2-3x longer is just wiping them down with a cloth when I'm done practicing, or sometimes even in the middle of a practice session.

• 009-042

the heavier bottom strings make no sense IMHO (although I played these sets for over a decade), since it is already necessary to angle the pickups away from the bass strings to get a good balance.
    If you are a riff monster, this might work I guess, but if you're switching between rhythm and lead work a lot, the 042 set is more even IME.

I don't really like heavier bass strings either, I should have specified that I play 009-042 too. What brand of strings are you liking these days?

• GHS Boomers my favorites, EB Slinkys, D'Addario for 12-strings, and I am trying out some Fender pure nickels. 008-046 combinations depending on guitar.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Ernie Ball 10-52 skinny top/heavy bottom (just like I like my women).

I tune down to Eb and play heavy metal.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I once read that coated strings (which are only coated on the wound strings, right?) are destroyed if you do that pick scrape thing down the neck. So that's them out for me!
    I did try Elixirs and thought they sounded dull.
    I use regular strings and a string cleaner on a cloth after each gig, which keeps them in good condition for much longer.
    I have no brand preference - I use whatever is the best price.

10 - 46 gauge. I also avoid stainless steel strings, as they seem to destroy the frets.

• Elixir strings have different tension - a set of .009 feels much more like .010. Always needed to adjust neck and intonation too. The plain strings are not coated, but anti-rust plated. They last a very very long time. But I don't like the stiffness and that there is no "real" .009 set. Also the special plain strings are definitely eating frets more than regular ones.

I will try the new D’Addario XS strings next. Basically they have a film coating like Elixir on the wound strings (patent expired?) and polymer treatment on the plain steels (same as their XT I guess).

• Does Fast fret really help with keeping strings clean? I always thought it was snake oil....

I always just use a dry microfiber to clean wipe down the strings and guitar after I'm done abusing it.

Ibot39 ...that's interesting about the different tension feel. I like how 10s affect my playing, I treat the guitar differently with higher tension strings, but after awhile my hand just hurts and I feel like I'm overworking and getting diminishing returns.

I hear no difference in tone with 9s, 10s, or 11s.

• Does Fast fret really help with keeping strings clean? I always thought it was snake oil....

been using it since the 90s and there is a noticable difference if I do not apply it. Tried other products and even household chemicals that were suggested to me, but this stuff just works.
    (and as a bonus gets rid of the most annoying squeaks when recording acoustic guitars)

• been using it since the 90s and there is a noticable difference if I do not apply it. Tried other products and even household chemicals that were suggested to me, but this stuff just works.
    (and as a bonus gets rid of the most annoying squeaks when recording acoustic guitars)

Yes, I use Fast Fret too and agree with DonPetersen .

• Just tell me what strings don't squeak. I never put anything on my strings except a micro-fiber towel but that's just to remove the dust and dead flesh off the guitar. :|

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Use to play 11-49 elixir for years, not for the tone but for the feel.

Now I have some cervical nerves problems, so I play with Elixir 9-42.

9-42 got better balanced tones but I really don’t like the feel.

Elixir is the only brand I use. I got sweaty hands and acidic sweat, if I use non elixir strings they are deadly dead within half an hour. Elixir is a gift from the gods for me lol.

• Depends on the guitar for me. In most instances I use DR 11-50 Tite Fit. Been using them for many years and when I was on the road they were always so gracious to help me out so I have much love for DR.

Lately I have been trying some different strings simply for unique gauges to see if I like anything. I do like the Ernie Ball sets that Steve Stevens put together. Mega Slinky (10.5 - 48) and the Ultra Slinky (10 - 48). They also have a Hybrid Slinky set that I like a lot on tele's (9 - 46).

I do want to try out the new James Hetfield String set since the gauge is very familiar to me just to see how they feel/compare with the DR's but I haven't had a chance to do so.

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

• Daddario for me. Why? Becuase a 10 set packet of strings are the cheapest. Well least expensive. I've gone from 10-46 to 09-46 for standard tuning. Works better for solos on the treble strings for me at least. 10-52 for D standard tuning.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Having tried a few over the years, I play EB skinny top heavy bottom....I found EB's last pretty well, I was using some detuned stuff so went heavier and stuck with them ever since. I prefer to have the same strings on all my guitars because I'm a simple creature and don't want to be trying to remember what gauge is on what.

Coated strings - They look great and I've used a fair number of sets in the past BUT I agree they feel plasticy so whilst they look great for half a set, they often flake and feel really odd. So I gave up on them as I really didn't like them much. Ironically I was re-looking at them again ( DR Neons) but held off as I remembered my past experience

Just bought some optima golds. Used them before - they don't really last that much longer and do dull as well so not worth the price for that reason.....I only bought them to match the White Falcon! Pure show off/indulgence!!

• I bought a Strandberg bass from a guy and he sent it to me. Coated strings on. Didn't like that at all and becuase of coated strings I had to get a new nut. But I didn't complain. After all it was a bargain.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau