Which strings are you using?

• Tried several brands like Elixir, D'Addario, RotoSound, Ernie Ball ... and just recently discovered

DR Pure Blues, 11 - 50

and immediatly fall in love with them ;)

They sound really great with my

- Telecaster (Alder Body, Maple neck & fretboard) and

- Fender pickups (Josefina 50/51 Blackguard Tele Set, Hand Wound).

• I've been using DR strings on and off for probably 20 years and that's a common reaction for me. The Veritas set with Xeon plains are just awesome.

As with anything, there's likely to be confirmation bias, but over 100 sets over many years on acoustic and electric and I've found my "forever strings".

• Elixir strings have different tension - a set of .009 feels much more like .010. Always needed to adjust neck and intonation too. The plain strings are not coated, but anti-rust plated. They last a very very long time. But I don't like the stiffness and that there is no "real" .009 set. Also the special plain strings are definitely eating frets more than regular ones.

I will try the new D’Addario XS strings next. Basically they have a film coating like Elixir on the wound strings (patent expired?) and polymer treatment on the plain steels (same as their XT I guess).

Update:

The plain strings of the D’Addario XS get black and rough faster than my cheap Fender strings. Very disappointing. So it' s the same as with some other coated strings: Coated E, A, D last long time, but the plain steel strings just can't keep up. Only Elixir plain strings last very long... but the tensionof those is just not right.

• Update:

The plain strings of the D’Addario XS get black and rough faster than my cheap Fender strings. Very disappointing. So it' s the same as with some other coated strings: Coated E, A, D last long time, but the plain steel strings just can't keep up. Only Elixir plain strings last very long... but the tensionof those is just not right.

The DR Veritas sets come with 2 sets of plain strings, one of which has what they call Xenon which has a bit of a gold colour. I don't know what it is, but they seem to last a long time.

• I use Ernie Ball 10.46 if tuned standard.

11.48 for those in Eb

I've just discovered there are some fakes.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I've just discovered there are some fakes.

Very interesting video. As I stated in this discussion I tried some Slinkys and they were garbage. They were maybe counterfeit?

I did not see in the video where he stated any proof they were counterfeit. I only saw differences between sets. What did I miss?

• Very interesting video. As I stated in this discussion I tried some Slinkys and they were garbage. They were maybe counterfeit?

I did not see in the video where he stated any proof they were counterfeit. I only saw differences between sets. What did I miss?

Maybe they were fake.

I was scared for a minute when I saw the video.

I had just recently purchased (at a good price, lesa than 5€/pack ) a new box of 12 packs I hadn't use any of them yet. I checked the packaging and the color and I use 1 of them.. They are originals.

:P

• US and EU countries will have a counterfeit office to contact. I would report and then do a follow up in a few months. I only purchase strings from well known Music Companies so if there is a problem they will replace them.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• 🙂 Is Amazon a well known Music Company?

Funny fact it happend before this last order; I contacted a Music Store (in France) cause he had an even less expensive offer on e bay.

The image/picture was 6 packs of strings, and the price was a bit less than I payed (22€ or so) I asked if there's a different price If I order 48 packs at once.

He kindly replied that the price of 22€ was for a set of 6 strings.. 🤪

Ooookkk

• 🙂 Is Amazon a well known Music Company?

Funny fact it happend before this last order; I contacted a Music Store (in France) cause he had an even less expensive offer on e bay.

The image/picture was 6 packs of strings, and the price was a bit less than I payed (22€ or so) I asked if there's a different price If I order 48 packs at once.

He kindly replied that the price of 22€ was for a set of 6 strings.. 🤪

Ooookkk

No. Amazon sells third-party items. Unless I know for certain that a product is shipping from a known company, like Fender, Ernie Ball, etc, then I don't buy. I would never buy from Ebay.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• My brother's been banging on about these for years for his LP.

He refuses to play anything else. Says the tone is unbeatable.

Those are round core strings and in my opinion those kind of strings are far superior to the hex core string. They sound warmer, bend better and have notable more sustain. And i wouldn't call the difference subtle. The only kind of music that hex core strings are better is metal cause they have more bite and attack.

Hex core strings are easier and cheaper to manufacture, they break a lot rarer during production. Thats why most manufactorers switched to them, anything else they tell you about hex core strings is only marketing.