Different sounds through headphones Kemper vs. Audio Interface

• Hi guys,

as I've already commented in another thread (to no avail), I have been having some issues with my newly purchased Focusrite Scarlett 8i6.

The main thing being that the sounds I get from the Headphone jack of the Kemper is a lot nicer than the sound through the Scarlett headphone out.

It sounds less compressed, cleaner and just chimes much nicer. I've tested with a bunch of different profiles (mainly from ToneJunkie), and I came to same conclusion for all.

Initially it was an issue of volume, which I bypassed by getting a Mackie headphone amp. It sounds good, but not quite Kemper headphone good.

Is this a common problem for all Audio interfaces?

My setup is:

Kemper -> SPDIF -> Scarlett 8i6 -> MacBook Air -> GarageBand

I've played around with output settings of kemper (-db, space, cabinet) but nothing really helps.

Some input would be much appreciated :)

Thanks!!!

• I have a small mixer between Stage and the interface, also an Headphone Amp (have to feed 4 Headphones). The interface also feeds back to the mixer. I have the exact same signal from the Stage, the Mixer directly ( even in playback) and the Headphone Amp. Never plugged the cans in the interface though...

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• I have a small mixer between Stage and the interface, also an Headphone Amp (have to feed 4 Headphones). The interface also feeds back to the mixer. I have the exact same signal from the Stage, the Mixer directly ( even in playback) and the Headphone Amp. Never plugged the cans in the interface though...

Thanks for your reply!

Interesting, I've read something like this before. May I ask what audio interaface and output from the Kemper you are using?

• Apogee Duet 3. Stage Main outs (1/4) to the mixer. RCA to 1/4 from rec out of the mixer to Apogee and 1/4 to RCA back to the Rec in

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• I think the common understanding is that the difference you hear is caused by the space setting. Try enabling it for all outputs and see if you have the same experience.

I have it on my todo to make some comparisons between recordings from analog and headphone out.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

Edited once, last by musicmad ().

• try the analog outs, please and see how that sounds

yeah ive actually already tried the analog outs as well as the headphone out from the Kemper, but the result is the same.

I think the common understanding is that the difference you hear is caused by the space setting. Try enabling it for all outputs and see if you have the same experience.

I have it on my todo to make some comparisons between recordings from analog and headphone out.

Yeah I have had that enabled for all outputs :)

The Focusrite has a different headphone amp than the Kemper so it's going to sound different.

Yeah I guess this is what it boils down to... I read somewhere the Kemper HP out enhances a certain frequency spectrum that is very appealing. Huh, Idk. i guess I will try with the mixer eventually to get the sounds right :D