Streching Out - new tune inspired by Michael McDonald

• Another try at writing instrumental melodies that you can sing/hum along to.

This tune is definitely influenced by Michael McDonald's and Kenny Loggin's work back in the 80s.

This my James Tyler SE into the Kemper.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Good job Mats_Nermark , got some Chicago vibes going on. I think it’s pretty hummable but I get the journey you’re on, I also try to find that catchy riff.

Here’s my observations I’m using recently that might be of use to you (or not). I think the key to hummable is always simplicity and then repeating it a lot, and also the use of call and response.

So many main themes are less than ten notes, sometimes only three or four (Beethoven is the greatest for this), people seem to remember the fanfares the best and mainly the call rather than the response, and it feels like it’s easier to remember if it’s tension-release so call is slightly longer than the response or a direct repeat a tone down, it’s that combination of punchy rhythm and simple melody.

Even a complex theme like Smetna’s Die Moldau is only 10 notes on the call and 8 on the response. If we get into jazz then think about Kenny Burrell Caitlin’s Con Carne is only 8 notes (6 on the response), Brubeck’s take 5 is an exception at 11 and 5/10, but you can simplify out the flourishes to have a 6 note motif.

it’s also about the space. You need that overtly dramatic pause before the call and then that timing for the response is critical. pause before the response.

I think because your mind seems to work so much in very clever multipart multi-instrumental call and responses and interweaving melody that can sometimes bury the intent and the decoration can obscure the clean line. Maybe go back to basics, do a track that’s just drums guitar and allow yourself only one other rhythm section instrument, perhaps just a bass guitar, or perhaps just a single piano. So you have to do the call and response on the same instrument, which could simplify the motif.

• definitely singable to me, with some great backings vocals as well .

Yep as Per says , it's complex harmony , I dig it , but lots of folks got no interest in complexity, one of my singers always as to simplify my guitar work. It's my pride , but I think he's right, especially nowadays.

• This is cool advice. Thank you!

I have actually started on a new tune with this advice in mind. I'll post it when I'm done.

Cheers,

Mats N

• definitely singable to me, with some great backings vocals as well .

Yep as Per says , it's complex harmony , I dig it , but lots of folks got no interest in complexity, one of my singers always as to simplify my guitar work. It's my pride , but I think he's right, especially nowadays.

Thanks, Waraba!

I'm thinking about what you say about the harmonies being complex. Funny thing is that I don't see them as being complex. Just the way they are supposed to for this style. :D

Cheers,

Mats N