cutting through in live band with 2 guitars when other player uses valve amp

• quite new to the kemper, using a powered rack through a marshall 1960a 4x12, when playing live in the band i am struggling to cut through the mix vs the other guitar player, we are playing classic heavy metal, iron maiden black sabbath etc.

other guitar player is using a marshall dsl half stack.

main issue seem to be on lead parts, gone up to a 3db boost on the rig volume plus a plus 1 mid boost, still dont seem to cut through and sounds a little thin,

im using the deadlight studio edvaha 5150III Hi Sue Red profile

any advise?

• Hi Matt.

I had the same issues. Try one of these EQs from Tone Junkie. They bring in a huge amount of mids. Should be great for NWOBHM. I use also an EVH-Profile from TMS and apart from recording it works great (I use a FRFR-Setup).

Regards

Stefan

• The lead booster (judiciously used) can slice through. I’ve also had really good luck with a treble booster in the X slot.

Mixing that in can go a long way.

Volume alone often won’t get the results you want.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I really struggled with this. KPA vs JVM410. Both into 4 x 12s.

Even if I ran a JVM410 profile he dominated the mix. If I boosted mids on the profiles I wanted they stopped sounding how I wanted.

Solution for me is posted on another recent thread but in short.

Brutally cut low end. 170 Hz or something.

Pay attention to 3500 approx zone or higher & boost there.

Run a pre amp EQ & cut highs at 2000 to take shrill high end off.

Get other guy to turn down vs you turning up. You turning up just blasts more bad frequency into mic.

• This is about arranging and mixing. If the other guitarist is too loud then they should dial it back during your solos. Have a listen to the rhythm guitars in the songs you're covering and listen to what happens during the solos. If anyone is going to drastically EQ it should be them, to create sonic space for you.

• One more thought. Cab.

Speakers matter a lot.

But what Finally says is true. I only REALLY cracked it when the other guitarist dropped off a bit. Was almost like there was a ceiling & I was left with no room until he dropped.

• this sounds like some basic live/band issues to me:

• if it's solo time, the other guitar player should be in support mode, playing- and level-wise; his job is now to not let the perceived level of energy drop without encroaching on the soloists territory
    • guitar is a mids instrument. kick and bass will cover up your lows and the cymbals will mask the high-end - mids are your friend
    • set a solo sound and then turn down the volume pot on your guitar to create a rhythm sound - I use this often live. You can of course also use a negative boost (Booster Stomp, Level <0) to make it foot-switchable (while activating a nice delay at the same time)
  • we are playing classic heavy metal, iron maiden black sabbath etc.

<->

im using the deadlight studio edvaha 5150III Hi Sue Red profile

maybe not the best Profile for classic heavy metal
    Gain @8.2, Definition @10 (!)
    basically, it's too modern sounding, you want more 'meat' (mids)

The factory content rig '1971 Mars Golub Crch' is a good starting point I think, use Boosters to get more gain (if needed) or bite
    The "GB - Mars CM 800 808" is also nice, but it comes with a Tubescreamer.

Ace from Skunk Anansie has made very cool Profiles of his gear, including DIs, check out his Rig Pack in Rig Manager, especially the '800' and '900' Rigs.

hth :)

• Curious to know Wich profiles are you using live? And what kind of tweak to you make?

Could be great to know from guy like you :)

• I play classic metal ( more of the 80's stuff) and I have solved the cut problem with our other guitarist.

He doesn't turn down nor do I touch the volume control.

I agree you need the right profile, and I now use the preset ( cut the mix I think) and it works really well.

• I play classic metal ( more of the 80's stuff) and I have solved the cut problem with our other guitarist.

He doesn't turn down nor do I touch the volume control.

I agree you need the right profile, and I now use the preset ( cut the mix I think) and it works really well.

Cut the mix, is that a eq present? Do you use it post of pre?

May I ask what profile you are using?

• Curious to know Wich profiles are you using live? And what kind of tweak to you make?

Could be great to know from guy like you :)

1971 Mars Golub Crch :)

I add a little bit of reverb to give it a bit of space around it, without having a clearly audible reverb
    a little bit of delay, I'm not an advocate of sync'ed delays outside of a The Edge or similar context, I like 310ms, about two audible repeats for solos