cutting through in live band with 2 guitars when other player uses valve amp

• When I play a solo I'm not using the volume of the guitar. I ignite a boost after the stack.

If you play with medium or high gain, a little more gain from the guitar's volumeknob does not make you cut the mix.

Absolutely, if you have a lot of gain to start with the sound is so compressed that nothing in front of the amp will change volume. I still ride the volume knob for varying the sound quality (tone and cleaning up etc) but it definitely won’t provide a solo boost. Most of the time I am using more mid gain type tones though

Another good point that was made earlier in the thread though was about band dynamics. Quite often a solo doesn’t need much boost if other band members are sensitive to overall dynamics and create a little space for the solo instrument.

As always there is no single right o wrong way just what works for each individual.

• Not my suggestion, it's what I learned from the video. There is a Kemper tutorial that explains the control very well. In fact all of the tutorial videos are right to the point and easier to understand than the manual is, and IMO, they are essential watching. I'm not crazy about the way the manual explains some things, and the compressor section is a great example where the video will make much better sense to you understanding what the control actually does. Many misunderstandings from manual interpretations are well explained in those videos including Clean sense and Distortion sense that is misunderstood by many.

By softer do you mean less gain or less volume or both as you would adjust for those differently.

Again, Please watch the video it will answer your question better than I could in about a minute.

I'd be glad to if I knew *which* video you were referring to. A Google search turns up nothing on point from Kemper.

What I'm after is for the amp to clean up - AND - get slightly softer when I back off the guitar volume. Right now it cleans up and stays the same volume, which is too loud for rhythm parts.

• I'd be glad to if I knew *which* video you were referring to. A Google search turns up nothing on point from Kemper.

What I'm after is for the amp to clean up - AND - get slightly softer when I back off the guitar volume. Right now it cleans up and stays the same volume, which is too loud for rhythm parts.

This was my point - that is what most good quality Valve amps do, clean up without significant volume drop. People tend to pick less aggressively and think the volume drops but in my experience it doesn't.

It is NOT the most effective way to boost for solos or to drop back in the mix. A cleaner sound will also cut more.

So for a different sound, totally use the guitar volume. For dropping back volume wise, there are multiple options ( Morph, different patch) all of which are more accurate as well - which for me in the heat of a gig is easier to control.

I have a different slot for Rhythm and solos for precisely this reason.

• I'd be glad to if I knew *which* video you were referring to. A Google search turns up nothing on point from Kemper.

I was sure that it was in the "Stack section" video but I don't see it there now.??? If I find it, I'll post it. Somebody else might know? I know I saw it somewhere at one time.

• I was sure that it was in the "Stack section" video but I don't see it there now.??? If I find it, I'll post it. Somebody else might know? I know I saw it somewhere at one time.

INPUT SECTION

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Maybe you spoke about this one?

Very useful.

https://youtu.be/c0yqOGA8QKA

Yes! that's the one! Watch this one VT. And the one above. Between the two there is a lot of useful info there. As I have wrote many times, most people do not understand clean sense and this vid does a great job of explaining. I like how he puts the controls go to the extreme to really have you hear whats going on. I think these are required lessons!