Groovy cool shit

• Here is a funky lil' track starring my Rhodes MK II , an arturia Juno 6 , a real jazzbass, my semi hollow , my huge jazzbox and the PRS Ssky on leads.

https://audius.co/chillfrogz/groovy-cool-shit

I managed to add some vocals , first ones after covid took my voice for 2 months :( Not so bad I managed to do 3 voices , up , mids & even lows , mixed on a virtual choir.

I really dig the way the bass turned out on the mix.

BayouTexan , here is the full list of my FX chains , a great way to save lots of time and develop some consistent mixes :

Most of the chains are for vocals , it's a complex subject and each singer is a strange animal ;)

Others are pretty simple , EQ, comp , tape sim , verbs ...

My friend djemass has hiw own preset too ;)

• Great Song Renaud!

This reminds me of a cool Steve Khan record.

Eyewitness - 1981

The beginning of a new Khan era, this band featured Anthony Jackson, Steve Jordan, and Manolo Badrena. A true classic and is often viewed as one of Steve's finest albums. The playing and sound created by Anthony Jackson and Steve Jordan are revered to this day as influential for generations of bassists and drummers.
  • Killer! Has a bit of the Police's more progressive tracks to it.

My template in Reaper is similar.

I am using a MEqualizer for hi and low cuts and any mid boosts, Waves C1 Compressor, Waves Kramer Tape drive on the Master bus. My guitar bus options are MEqualizer, Waves Doubler 2, and OriRiver reverb, so not much there. I have not found a delay I like other than the Kemper delays and my Flashback II.

My biggest challenge is to map out SD3 across 16 channels so I can get a better stereo field in drums. I did it once but never saved it to a template and forgot how to do it. ;(

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Very cool man, big fan of the off-kilter stuff, love the buttery synth lead and the vocals are perfect for this too. Sounds like samples of 60's records! Love it!

• Sounds fab, the guitar parts are fab, great clean tone. Love the interspersed vocal parts.

I'm feeling a bit inadequate now, i don't have any fx chains on my recordings with the exception of EZmix for mastering, maybe i should start

• This reminds me of a cool Steve Khan record.

Eyewitness - 1981

Thx Mud, excellent jazz underground ref here, I gave a try to this album, really great, with share a big bass tone and a semihollow ,but that's it! these guys are clearly pros :o

My biggest challenge is to map out SD3 across 16 channels so I can get a better stereo field in drums. I did it once but never saved it to a template and forgot how to do it

Thx BT, I almost never use this possibility , much too complex too mix. Your fxs look great , we all have some tape sim at some point . I agree with the delays , KPA is fantastic in this regard , I often use it on my vocals with the verbs.

Very cool mashup Renaud... so many styles and periods reflected in that one. Still sound and well rounded

Thx for listening Michael, my mixes are most often on the bright side , I'm a fan of the English school of mixing , my absolute ref is Alan Parsons of course !

Very cool man, big fan of the off-kilter stuff, love the buttery synth lead and the vocals are perfect for this too. Sounds like samples of 60's records! Love it!

Thx Per , yeah the Juno is such a great synth , Arturia did it so well ;) Vocals , yeah these are layered on 5 tracks and I used this nice waves choir plugin ( a kind of doubler tripler with spacing etc) and some chorus gave it a pad feel. I wish I could sing some vox harmonies like the beach boys , it's richer than guitar at some point.

Sounds fab, the guitar parts are fab, great clean tone. Love the interspersed vocal parts.

I'm feeling a bit inadequate now, i don't have any fx chains on my recordings with the exception of EZmix for mastering, maybe i should start

Thx Joe, you clearly don't need any FX chain as you fount the perfect tone & mix formula. We're all jealous of you tone 8) .

Never tried EZ mix but it looks pretty smart & easy.

• Off-kilter means different and unexpected. So sometimes like a wobbly wheel, or thrown off, but in music I mean it as in not MOR, so off the beaten path with interesting rhythmic structure and interest. You want a bit of that in any good music.

• First of all, it's totally impossible to ignore a tune with the title Groovy Cool Shit.

Secondly, I really got off on this one. It has such a multitude of influences that it made my ears spin.

Thirdly, the title is absolutely descriptive.

Cheers,

Mats N