Some advice, as I am afraid I will blow something up...

• Hi everyone,

I've played guitar for over 20 years, and I have only recently become interested in using more effects pedals. I've always been a big fan of many distortion, fuzz, and overdrive pedals throughout the years. But I never had any interest whatsoever when it came to reverbs, delays, pitch shifters, phasers, chorus, etc....

In short, I have never used anything in my effects loops. That is true for my old tube amps and my kemper.

So anyways, I just got these old analog delay and chorus pedals, and I'm excited to use them with my Kemper in my home studio setup. A few things I would like clarification on before I mess something up:

First of all, how well does the Kemper even take to pedals? The kemper has a pretty sweet arsenal effects built in, so is it even worth it to bother with pedals (especially in a studio setting)?

Next, I understand why I wouldn't want to run the pedals before the kemper. Basically, what I should do is try to run the effects after the amp, but before the cab simulation in the kemper.

That must be what the Sends and Returns are for, right? This is basically just an effects loop?

Also, doesn't the signal get converted after the amp processing? In other words, won't the kemper be sending a line level signal into the delay pedal? isn't that going to be problematic? Does the delay pedal return an instrument level signal into the kemper, and is that problematic? If this stuff ends up in line level, then should I be using a TRS cable, or does it not matter?

What parameters do I need to be mindful of when setting this up? And I mean the parameters on the Kemper. I'm guessing it's not a simple plug and play.

Mono/ stereo... ok so... I might get two chorus pedals eventually. But not yet. And I just want to start with my delay (mono effect).

Since this is for a recording, I thought I would take advantage of the Kempers output routing. I would like to separate the amp sound and the effects, that will just give me more options once it's all in the box. I don't care about doing a DI right now.

My main output will be mono through an XLR. Do I select "Stack" for this output configuration? I've read the manual several times, but I am still confused about the difference between all of these outputs.

For the effects, I am guessing that I should use a mono output, since the pedal outputs in mono. How would I separate this? I could use spdif. Would that work? Do I select the "wet" configuration as the output?

Sorry guys, all these effects shenanigans are part of what kept me away for so long, but I don't want to keep avoiding it. Any help is appreciated.

• RE external effects: did you read Main Manual 8.5, chapter "Effect Loop (Pink)", page 270. Just try simple setup with 1 effect, you can set it in a minute and you will see.

• Try not to over think it. You won’t blow anything up so just experiment until you find something you like.

The kemper has a pretty sweet arsenal effects built in, so is it even worth it to bother with pedals (especially in a studio setting)?

Personally I wouldn’t bother in a studio setting unless there is a specific effect that you just can’t get without an analog pedal. For studio work the Kemper is a great choice but if you need more I would turn to Plug-ins rather than pedals for the simplest workflow and the best results. However, everyone is different and you can learn a lot just from experimenting so try it out and see what works (and doesn’t) for you. 🤘

• I use my stereo modulation pedals in between the main outs of Kemper and my Interface inputs sometimes. I use a Keeley Compressor and Digitech Feedback in front of the Kemper. I try all kinds of FX chains when recording. Putting a Treble Booster or a pedal with Gain after the stack or on the Kemper main outs is when you have to worry about clipping your signal but you never have to worry about it blowing up.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• The kemper has a pretty sweet arsenal effects built in, so is it even worth it to bother with pedals (especially in a studio setting)?

Next, I understand why I wouldn't want to run the pedals before the kemper. Basically, what I should do is try to run the effects after the amp, but before the cab simulation in the kemper.

IME while external pedals are fun to mess with, they are usually not worth it - unless you have something very special.
    The internal delays and reverbs are well beyond what most pedals offer once you get to know them (and there are quite a few),
    but the biggest selling point for me is the total recall. Once you touch a control on a pedal - that sound is gone, do that with more than one pedal and you'll end up with a lot of photos and a headache ;)

Usually modulation, delay and reverb pedals are indeed used in the effect loop, these days anyway. Not too long ago there were no fx-loops and all that stuff went in front of the amp.
    Van Halen - phaser and delay in front

Rockabilly - Slapback in front

Surf - Spring Reverb in front

'more options' is always alluring but can quickly lead to option-paralysis if you're not used to it.
    I often commit a take and record it with delay (if there is any to begin with) and reverb.
    It is often quicker to make something work, than to have 35 reverb plugins available, each with dozens of presets and an array of controls - just because you choose a reverb plugin and then a preset and then edit it to your liking doesn't mean the result is superior to what you started out with - after all, you chose that reverb on your sound to record with - probably for a reason.

just my 2 ¢

;)

• origin effects Cali76 Stacked and Revival Drive Compact before my Stage and an A.P.E./Flashback2 combo an a mono loop and a BOSS GT1000 Core in a stereo loop for me.

Great pedals that do specific things the Kemper can't. Live, I don't know if anyone other yhan me would notice the subtleties of the stuff in the loops, the two before the Stage are awesome though.

• origin effects Cali76 ........

..........Great pedals that do specific things the Kemper can't. Live, I don't know if anyone other yhan me would notice the subtleties of the stuff in the loops, the two before the Stage are awesome though.

Would definitely love to see the KPA compressor upgraded to be able to mimic the Cali76. It's the only thing I really miss from my old pedals.