I noticed this is now the longest gap between firmware updates...

• 1) I'm aiming low based on this UPDATE !!!! and on previous updates it's sounding like the KPA is being considered a finished product and will only get minor fixes and tweaks from here on.
    2) Personally I don't have any huge problems with the sound or feel right now. Perhaps you do though?
    3) Come on, why should I have to not get the most out of this near $2k unit or even create or download more profiles just because of shitty rig management? And why is that OK? I don't see that anyone should have to delete profiles just because of that. It's like putting a fiat punto engine in a ferrari.

1. It does more than enough for the price. I have a 2200 Mesa head, it does not have a usb keyboard interface. Why should the KPA, which hold hundreds of high-quality amp sounds comparable to my Mesa head, be required to have usb keyboard functionality? You act like this is a shortcoming of the product, while ignoring what a breakthrough in technology you possess. Instead of harnessing it to create music, you are griping about a method to use your keyboard with it. ?(

2. I bolded my opinion, stated in the previous post, perhaps you overlooked it.

3. The arrangement of this statement is puzzling and I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to convey. For nearly 2K, there is more than enough value in what you have. Rig management is easy enough using the usb, unless you have a hoarding complex which requires you to keep every profile in existence on your KPA. I prefer to only use KPA storage for the profiles I use regularly, if a song idea comes along where I need a different tone, I simply load them from my computer to my usb, it's quite simple. Frankly, how can any workflow or performace be enhanced by having to pickup a computer keyboard to search for a new tone? And your analogy is flawed. Having fewer profiles on your KPA won't diminish it's performance, as you implied.

It's sad that we have such a creative and useful technology available to us, light years ahead of what previous generations had available to them, but people are unable to appreciate it because it doesnt have a usb keyboard interface. Crazy. Most people on this forum seem like very helpful and normal people, but people like Per will never be satisfied.

• 1) That's a false argument, for a start your mesa head only does one thing, every control you need for that is directly accessible and has no parameters that would have a valid relation to an alphanumeric input device. it's not a valid comparison at all, but I'm willing to bet you use a footpedal with it all the same.

2) If the product is satisfactory then what do you care about what's in an update at all, let alone poo-pooing others ideas for what they'd like?

3) Sorry, but technology being marvelous isn't enough of an argument, in fact it only gets in the way of progress. You wouldn't have this technology at all if everyone had just sat around and gone "Wow, fire, what more could you possibly want? Darn spoilt kids!". The "we should be happy with what we've got" is an apologists viewpoint, and I'm not ready to give up on Kemper that quickly.

I work in the tech sector and this is a fairly expensive tech product surrounded by a market of other tech products of a similar nature to compare it with. I hold it up to the standards of other tech products in the price range and of my own products and expectations for that kind of outlay, I expect excellence, and so should you.

• Am I the only one that stop thinking at everything out of music while I get goose bumps due to the TONE I get out of this box? Seriously, I've never had anything that could come even near to what the Kemper does (used to run a 20U rack system back in the 90's), I can make every possible thing I could with amps and then some....
    Excellence is overrated, IMHO, when it comes down to run after what your competitor is doing....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Am I the only one that stop thinking at everything out of music while I get goose bumps due to the TONE I get out of this box? Seriously, I've never had anything that could come even near to what the Kemper does (used to run a 20U rack system back in the 90's), I can make every possible thing I could with amps and then some....
    Excellence is overrated, IMHO, when it comes down to run after what your competitor is doing....

Agreed. Tone is the end game. All the rest is secondary.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• This will be my last response to you, your demographic is painfully obvious.
    1. It certainly is a true argument. If you are too obtuse to see that, I will attempt to reduce it to your level of understanding. Many of us here, and I presume you do as well, spend several thousand dollars on one single amplifier. Said amplifier has zero "bells and whistles," not even a usb keyboard interface, and only produces one sound. With the KPA, you are spending less than 2k, and not only can it faithfully reproduce the aforementioned amp's tone, but it can produce many other tones of high-end (2K+) amplifiers. So, if you have any understanding of math and logic, you can easily identify the value in the KPA, regardless of it being "considered a finished product," or not.

2. I am not going to go back and bold every one of my posts for you, you should learn to read more carefully. I prefaced the bolded part with "But in the meantime," Again, I'll dumb it down for you. This means that I'm in no big rush for the next update, I'm content for the time being with the excellent tools available with the unit. I would rather them take the time necessary for a solid feature set instead of rushing to cater to an impatient minority.

3. Declaring you're in the tech sector doesn't qualify you to be whiny about a feature that isn't necessary. And yes, a keyboard interface is very unnecessary, especially at this stage in the product's development, if ever. I've been a software developer for the last decade, but I'm not on here yapping about delays in updates and protocols. And I'm very curious what product you are comparing the Kemper to in terms of standards. There is no other product out there that does what it does. It's unprecedented, so you have no reference for what functions it should or should not have. Enlighten us, I would love to check out these other products that profile amps. 8)

• This will be my last response to you, your demographic is painfully obvious.
    1. It certainly is a true argument. If you are too obtuse to see that, I will attempt to reduce it to your level of understanding. Many of us here, and I presume you do as well, spend several thousand dollars on one single amplifier. Said amplifier has zero "bells and whistles," not even a usb keyboard interface, and only produces one sound. With the KPA, you are spending less than 2k, and not only can it faithfully reproduce the aforementioned amp's tone, but it can produce many other tones of high-end (2K+) amplifiers. So, if you have any understanding of math and logic, you can easily identify the value in the KPA, regardless of it being "considered a finished product," or not.

2. I am not going to go back and bold every one of my posts for you, you should learn to read more carefully. I prefaced the bolded part with "But in the meantime," Again, I'll dumb it down for you. This means that I'm in no big rush for the next update, I'm content for the time being with the excellent tools available with the unit. I would rather them take the time necessary for a solid feature set instead of rushing to cater to an impatient minority.

3. Declaring you're in the tech sector doesn't qualify you to be whiny about a feature that isn't necessary. And yes, a keyboard interface is very unnecessary, especially at this stage in the product's development, if ever. I've been a software developer for the last decade, but I'm not on here yapping about delays in updates and protocols. And I'm very curious what product you are comparing the Kemper to in terms of standards. There is no other product out there that does what it does. It's unprecedented, so you have no reference for what functions it should or should not have. Enlighten us, I would love to check out these other products that profile amps. 8)

Enough non sequiturs. Surely you do know and understand that the Kemper is just an amp sim coupled to a calibration function right? So compare it to any other amp sim... even the ones on your computer, I'm pretty sure you want a keyboard with that.

We're not likely to get USB to computer connectivity or rig management any time soon, if ever. It's never been promised and Christoph and the beta testers have intimated that we shouldn't get our hopes up. Given the pace of firmware development and the sorts of changes made well, to me it shows a product that's going through gradual changes and bugfixes rather than major feature additions at this point. That may change in the future, but for now Christoph is still working on the fundamentals. The firmware that was put up and then pulled today emphasized this, it listed just stop-gap measures for rig management and arrangement on the KPA.

So fitting in with that expectation USB keyboard support for the Kemper is another stopgap measure. I'm far from alone in championing it and it would offer a much smoother experience for navigation and tag editing than the current GUI. Simply for what it is and what it offers in terms of direct navigation, text editing for tags, and reduction of wear and tear on the apparently quite fragile buttons I view it as a better use of development time than favorites and more profile sorting methods.

So why is it again that I can't have an opinion or valid experience exactly, but you can?

You see I'm glad you're enjoying your KPA, it's a great unit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but It sounds like you're still in your honeymoon period, it's a great time, but it can blinker your view. Please don't make assumptions about how other people are using their Kemper's, nor what the problems they are running up against are or are not. So I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't try to stymy debate and I'm certainly not going to stand for you trying to tell me to shut up or that I'm "whining" and that my viewpoint or background is invalid simply because you cannot currently see that anything at all is wrong with the Kemper in this regard and don't want to hear it.

If you want to argue with me about the actual points in question and what you'd rather have in or when you want this firmware, go for it, that's the topic of discussion. But straw men and insults because you're not getting your way are simply not on.

• Remember the KPA is a European creation.

In Europe, traditionally August is "Holiday Season"

I dont expect to see any new KPA firmware drops, or anything else until mid September 2012.

I have read this numerous times now and I think this is a vast misconception as it implies nobody's working in Europe for a long time period. :rolleyes:
    Fact is that due to the number of countries in Europe and due to the federal organization of many of them (e.g. Germany) the holiday season is wide spread from mid June to end of August, which means that for example schools in different regions are closed at different times and people in different regions go on holiday at different times as well.
    But all in all economy and daily life is running normally all the time of course.
    In regards to Kemper I can assure you that they are working their asses off to get out a phantastic update as soon as possible.
    Beta testing takes place continually, even on weekends.
    As the sage hinted at, the next update should be out
    soon... 8)

• Well, Per and Blackbird, I frankly don't see why you should get into such a heated debate...
    Let's try to keep it civil, folks. 8)

:|
    Um, why are you telling me that? I don't believe I've been uncivil in any of my posts, unless you consider them unpardonably long. :pinch:

• Hey I didn't want to imply this. 8)
    I only got the impression you both get unneccessarily harsh against each other and I don't get why.
    You both want different things, nö Problem.

In the long run I want an Editor, too, BTW.

Enjoy the weekend. :D
    I'll be playing my KPA at an open air today. Will be great!

• I'll be playing my KPA at an open air today.

Will you use a UPS ?

[Blocked Image: http://www.audiosemantics.de/FORUMS/NON-SEQUITUR-PLAN-AHEA.gif]

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

Edited once, last by fretboardminer ().

• No.
    This open-air is run very professionally.
    http://www.bargfeld-festival.de
    They even have a webcam installed.
    http://www.bargfeld-stegen.de/webcam_bargfeld.0.html
    In a worst case scenario I only have to plug a cable from m HD 500 to go from there. Normally I use it along my KPA in 4CM.

• Well, Per and Blackbird, I frankly don't see why you should get into such a heated debate...
    Let's try to keep it civil, folks. 8)

It's a shame. My first post simply offered a solution to his complaint, then stated what I was looking forward to. His response went on a multi-point soliloquy about his perceived injustices resulting from the device.

Undeniably, there are individuals that will never be satisfied, regardless of how blessed they are. I'm sorry if anyone on this board was offended by my responses. However, it's easy to identify the children on this board, and I'm done addressing that one.

• Armin - you sound like you already had the beta? Any issues you know of?

H

Works fine here - I profiles most of my new MKV profiles without big problems - once I got a very loud profile (which I got much more often in the past).

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de