Kemper settings using IEM Stereo

• Hi There, can anyone explain me why my Kemper sound is different using a 4x12Cab or my IEM UE11?

My setup:

-Kemper XLR (stereo) out to X32 BUS (stereo).

-Berhinger X32 (stereo) XLR out to IEM. (this is a mix of the whole band including my Kemper)

Using this setup my High Gain sounds terrible, I can't understand why it is so different than when I use my Cab.

Thanks

Bas Meijer

• Does the guitar sound better if you plug the UE11 directly into the Kemper on the front?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• If it also sounds bad there then you know it's related to the sound of your inears and not the x32 playing games.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Does your guitar sound OK through the PA-speakers? If it does, then the problem is with the mix in the X32. If not, then is CAB-emulation on in the RIG(s) you use on the KPA? Assuming you use a powered KPA to feed your 4x12 I suspect that you are missing CAB-emulation for the signal going to the PA. You wouldn't be the first not to read the manual and/or not explore the output options and still get great sound through a traditional cab by turning off cab-emulation in the stack, only to discover that the signal going to the PA sounds bad. The correct way to do things when using a powered KPA (or unpowered KPA some external amp) into a cab for monitoring is to keep cab-emulation on in the stack for each rig but turn it off globally for monitoring in the output settings. That keeps cab-emulation on for the main-outputs. The signal going to the power-amp in a powered KPA is the same signal as the one going to the monitor outputs. If the emulated cab in each rig you use has characteristics similar to your physical cab then you may get similar sound in the PA (and your in-ears) to what you hear from your cab.

• Thanks for your reply, I work with a non-powered Kemper. Let me check al settings regarding Cab-emulation. I think on all Rigs they are enabled.

The EQ settings for my Kemper inputs on the X32 are all flat. The same with the effects.

Thanks for your information, gives me something to do on a Sunday,

Bas Meijer

• A little more detail might help.

You have an unpowered Kemper. You mention using a 4x12 and running straight to the desk. How do you primarily dial in your tones? Do you do so with the cab or through the PA?

I had a really hard time getting the main outputs to sound close to the sound I got through a cabinet until I found a profile with a very similar cab sound and locked it across all my profiles. This massively limits the variety of tones I could have but achieved much better consistency.

• Are you asking why your tiny BA drivers in your Iem's sound different from a live 4x12 cab? My kemper sounds the same through my Iem's(Wireless through M32c/DL32) as it does through my UAD Apollo through Adam studio monitors or over the ear athm50 headphones or the same IEM's that I use live. If I play through my Kemper cab it sounds different because the cabinet and the room now become speakers.

• Me too.

Me three! Only took me 30+ years to get my picking up to snuff though :)

• Are you asking why your tiny BA drivers in your Iem's sound different from a live 4x12 cab? My kemper sounds the same through my Iem's(Wireless through M32c/DL32) as it does through my UAD Apollo through Adam studio monitors or over the ear athm50 headphones or the same IEM's that I use live. If I play through my Kemper cab it sounds different because the cabinet and the room now become speakers.

which iem do you use live?

• My setup:

-Kemper XLR (stereo) out to X32 BUS (stereo).

-Berhinger X32 (stereo) XLR out to IEM. (this is a mix of the whole band including my Kemper)

Using this setup my High Gain sounds terrible, I can't understand why it is so different than when I use my Cab.

With some setup clarification it should be pretty easy to nail down what's going on. From what you've said though, it sounds like there might be confusion in switching in/out the Kempers cabinet IR when swapping between a real cab & direct mixer/Iem. Two questions:

- You only mention the Kemper stereo XLR outs so I'm assuming you're running to either a poweramp/4x12 cab --or-- direct to mixer/iems. Not both at once. Is this correct?

- Do you use the same XLR main outs for both output methods? FYI, on an unpowered Kemper its typically better to use the "monitor" output for a real cab (with "Monitor Cab Off" checked) , leaving the main XLRs free for mixer feeds with cab IR's enabled.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding the setup!

(And yup, I'm another lefty. Not sure why this thread appealed to us!)

• Thanks for your input. Let me explain my settings:

I use the Non Powered Kemper:

- Main out Kemper (XLR) straight in the X32 inputs (Stereo)

- X32 BUS (stereo) in to my In-Ear and from there wireless to my receiver en UE 11Pro

When I use the Cab instead of the IEM I use the Jacks mail out in to my Custom Transistor Amp and from there in my Cab. All stereo as well.

Bas

• Only 30+ years?

I tip my hat to you sir. You are a fast learner. I'm still constantly struggling with my picking 😩

Oh don't get me wrong. I've only gone from suck to blow.