Ways to soften high frequencies

• Hi all,

what would you say is a decent High Cut value (in the output section) to cut the harsh high frequencies found in a lot of profiles (which are otherwise good to great profiles) without altering the sound of the original amp too much? How does the high cut work exacly, actually.. Is the slope gentle or does it cut more of a straight line?

Alternatively, how do you deal with that? Presence control on the amp could be a good idea, but I like the idea to have a global parameter.

Seeing as an average guitar cab's frequency response sees a big drop from 5k on out and gets zeroed at 15k, does it make sense to cut roughly in the same place?

I'm looking into this because I'd like to get a good and convincing live sound directly on stage (profiles are fine as they are for PA).

BTW I use a kemper cab but I can hear too much highs (wich I wouldn't hear from the amp) also when in imprint mode w/ high directivity setting.

Well, any hint much appreciated.

• You can set Global High Cut around 5k and then fine tune it using a Graphic EQ in the effects slot and use it's High Cut to go somewhere between 3.8 to 4.9. The High Cut is really specific for each profile. One setting for the global to work on all profiles just doesn't "cut" it.

The Soft Shaper stomp can also smooth out high end fizz while keeping the low end tighter (or less flubby). A small setting works best.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• To be honest I never use Hi Cut on any rigs as I don’t feel the need. The Cabinet Section does a great job of capturing the natural roll off of a real speaker. If a sound has high frequency harshness I put that down to poor micing during profiling and just find a better rig. Alternatively, maybe the high end of my hearing is so knackered from 30years of loud drummers and a Dual Rectifier behind me.

As for how Hi Cut works, it is a gentle roll off not a cliff edge cut. I think it used to be a first order filter but was changed relatively recently to a more aggressive second order filter which cuts by 12db per octave.

• Just out of curiosity are you referencing the global hi-cut in the output section or using an eq on a per rig basis?

Both. I rarely EQ any profiles at all. I just find something that works and roll with it. That was one of the main reasons I chose Kemper over Axe or Helix. I didn’t want to need to waste time tweaking.

• Both. I rarely EQ any profiles at all. I just find something that works and roll with it. That was one of the main reasons I chose Kemper over Axe or Helix. I didn’t want to need to waste time tweaking.

I assume you don't use the High Cut because you perform with Kemper live. It's an absolute must when using Kemper for recording directly (using the virtual cabs). They should have termed "recording" as "EQing" because that's mostly what you have to do on every dang track. 8o

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I assume you don't use the High Cut because you perform with Kemper live. It's an absolute must when using Kemper for recording directly (using the virtual cabs). They should have termed "recording" as "EQing" because that's mostly what you have to do on every dang track. 8o

I don't play live much these days. I think hi cut for recording is massively over rated to be honest.

• Both. I rarely EQ any profiles at all. I just find something that works and roll with it. That was one of the main reasons I chose Kemper over Axe or Helix. I didn’t want to need to waste time tweaking.

Thanks for the insight, I've had the Kemper for 5 years but never touched the Hi or Low cut until last summer when I bought a Kone and have never used an eq on a rig. I use my rig as a glorified combo amp, no recording, no plugging into a pa, just what you hear is what you get. I even abandoned the Kone this past week in favor of a guitar speaker, I just can't acclimate to a coaxial or pa speaker. I have so many profiles to wade through that I am taking the same approach, if it sounds and feels good save to Kemper, if not - skip it.