2 Kemper Profilers via SPDIF

• Hello,

I am curious if anybody had any luck in connecting 2 Kemper Profilers via SPDIF to a Windows PC. I am thinking about getting a second Profiler to speed up my Reamping Process. So for example I could reamp to DI Tracks at once.

The Support mentioned a possibility with the Roland M-1000 but that is no more on the market.

I know that using Analog In and Outs would be a possibility but I don't wanna add more noise and extra DA-AD Conversion.

Maybe someone knows a Device which would do that for me. I would really like to be able to reamp 2 Tracks at once so I could instantly how the Sound would be in Stereo when reamping 2 different DI Signals at once.

Heavy Greetz

• Here's something relevant from the Kemper FAQ:

There are nearly no relevant hardware differences between early PROFILER™ Head and Rack units compared to those built recently. Even the first units can be updated to the latest operating system version including all features.

There is just one exception: Units built before 2019 have to be master of the S/PDIF clock. Head and Rack models manufactured since 2019 can also be switched to act as S/PDIF clock slave - like all PROFILER Stage™ units.

If you're using an older Kemper, it is master by default, meaning your computer's audio interface _has_ to be set to slave, meaning the other Kemper can't be slave to a slave interface (slave-slave), nor master (because then you have 2x masters in the overall configuration).

You need two Kempers with the newer SPDIF interface. That way, the computer audio interface can be the master, and both Kempers can be slaves. I don't know that this works from personal experience, but in theory that should work. Pursue that angle in your further research.

But first and foremost, figure out whether the Kemper you have right now is the kind that lets you set it to slave. Either you can send your serial number to Kemper support and ask when it was made, or you can simply look in the global settings under the SPDIF tab and see if there's a setting that let's you choose between master/slave. If you don't, that means you'll have to sell your Kemper and buy two new ones to get what you want ;(

Edit: I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask Kemper support whether they could retrofit the newer SPDIF interface to your Kemper for a hefty price :)

Edited 5 times, last by Preacher ().

• it is not possible to sync more than 2 devices over SPDIF because the clock is embedded into the audio stream. You need a mixing device that has a sample rate converter on each of its inputs.

Only units that support AES/EBU with a dedicated word clock input can be synced from a central clock.