Help! I need to sound bigger!!

• Im in a 80's hair metal Cover band and the other guitar player just up and left the band, like about 30 minutes ago! We both just started using kemper Profiliers for live gigs and run them in mono straight to foh and the stage monitors. Im not sure if thats the correct way to do it, but thats what we do. Please help me or explain to me how I can make my guitar sound bigger since it will only be me playing for awhile.

Thanks.

• I play in an 80's hair metal band as well although still with 2 guitar players.

Firstly, mono straight into the desk is how I do it. People may tell you to go stereo to sound bigger. I don't subscribe to that.

Personally having also played in a single guitar band, its about finding a fatter profile, with plenty of sonic range. I like ENGL profiles for that reason.

What I will add is that 2 guitars does not mean bigger as they can cancel each other out. Asa single guitarist you will sound tighter and punchier and locking in more with the drummer and bass player ( if you don't already) will be the big winner...

• My advice would be keep things simple. I would avoid stereo for live. Concentrate on your playing and arrangements.

The hole can be filled with help of bass and drum too.

Personally I play a song differently if we a are two guitarists, only me or in an acoustic version with only guitar and vocal.

• In a two guitar player band, you both should have been occupying a different sonic space so you are not stepping on each other and are both heard in the mix. One should be a little stronger in the low mids and the other in the high mids. If you were running that way, you could use an EQ adjustment to get you more even in both. That would fatten you up and fill the space for both guitars. The lower mids tend to fatten your tone.

• Consider a dual amp setup. It can add lots of depth to your sound. I've made a quick video demo regarding dual amp, maybe it helps even if it's not made specifically for hair metal.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Try sending stereo to FOH and using the Dual Chromatic Delay Doubler preset. It will give you the least amount of phasing problems and give a much bigger guitar sound. Tighten it up by by making the millisecond spread less and the Detune at 4.0 or less. And you can use it with a Dual or Single Delay and Verb.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Try sending stereo to FOH and using the Dual Chromatic Delay Doubler preset. It will give you the least amount of phasing problems and give a much bigger guitar sound. Tighten it up by by making the millisecond spread less and the Detune at 4.0 or less. And you can use it with a Dual or Single Delay and Verb

For me, stereo widening would be better for more ethereal longer guitar passages. I've run stereo set ups before and they just tend to mush up.

For tight rock, ( knowing you love your Charvel's, and don;t quote def leppard at me :) ) I just feel its an eq answer.

• It's not a live situation but I found this video very interesting about having a big sound.

https://youtu.be/Uc3SxgT4uCw

So basically, he is doubling the track either with a split track for OD and Fuzz, or adding a harmonizer which doubles by modulation. I've used the Mimiq Stereo Doubler pedal, Waves Doubler plugin, Eventide Harmonizer plugin, Kemper Doubler Tracker preset, yada-yada, and the Chromatic Delay lessens the phasing effect the best for live use, IMO. All the others are great solutions for studio recording. You can get away with using the Mimiq pedal live, and it's a bit trickier to dial in at first. Of course two guitars doubled will work the best in any situation.

I wouldn't worry about the stereo field itself in live situations because of the imbalance of the audience (in more than just listening position). Just get the "bigger" sound and they will thank you.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• jmconnected1
    It's not my intention to contradict any of the advice you've already received, but have you checked out the Double Tracker?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I would look at this another way...

Some of the biggest sounds I've heard come from the smallest number of instruments.

I would only ever have 2 guitars in a band:

1) To play specific parts e.g. harmonies

2) back up during solos ( which for me is when it sound most empty).

I've always felt 2 guitars playing the same thing start to cancel themselves out, NOT make it better. There are only 2 guitarists in both bands Im in purely because there are multiple parts to cover off. We always struggle covering a song with 1 guitar using 2 guitars.

I know its not a binary debate and 2 guitars slightly out of sync cause a chorus type effect making the sound bigger, but to me there are so many advantages of a single guitar and the sound is often more powerful as a result. Whilst this doesn't always translate into recording and multi guitar tracks, for live some of the best sounds I ever heard are from single guitars ( Gary Moore, Ozzy Guitarists, SRV etc). Those don't run heaps of effects etc.

Just flagging there are a number of ways to approach this.....big wide sound ( stereo, doublers, effects) or powerful cleaner un-effected sound. I have always used minimal effects for this reason. You end up with a very "in your face sound".

If you could get away with it, you may decide not to get a replacement :)

• The phase widener makes it bigger but you need to be in stereo and put in a block after the amp. Biggest thing I did to make a bigger sound is I got an IR pack from Ownhammer and it’s another tryout process to narrow down your favorite IRs but I have it narrowed down to about 5 or 6 and it’s made everything sound better and bigger.

• Try going stereo to FOH with the Space parameter (OUTPUT menu page 6/9) @ about 3.3 and 'Space->Headphone only' disabled

Give the guitar a bit of room with a carefully set reverb, short enough and low enough to not be an audible reverb, but if disable something should be missing. EVH-style left & right delays set quite low (again it should be subtle).

But the biggest part will be your playing - sometimes a power chord with the root on the A-string and the 5th as lowest note on the E-string will sound bigger in context than just power chords with the root on the E-string.

left hand and right hand muting techniques are also important, letting the chords ring when possible/needed but always in a controlled way.
    Gain is actually counter-productive, use as much as you need, but increasing the gain above this point will actually make your guitar sound smaller.

Make sure to have mid-heavy sounds with enough treble to give it bite but be easy on the bass, there's a whole other instrument dedicated to that range ;)
    The Low Cut OUTPUT Filter is very useful here. Settings of 50Hz or higher are common.

• But the biggest part will be your playing - sometimes a power chord with the root on the A-string and the 5th as lowest note on the E-string will sound bigger in context than just power chords with the root on the E-string.

left hand and right hand muting techniques are also important, letting the chords ring when possible/neded but always in a controlled way.
    Gain is actually counter-productive, use as much as you need, but increasing the gain above this point will actually make your guitar sound smaller.

YES :)