Privacy of profiles?

• What's the deal with artists being so private with their Kemper profiles? And why? There are countless artists that use Kemper products - from Tears for Fears, to Alex Skolnick, to Steve Winwood, to Muse - yet trying to track down what profiles they use is kept private. Why? Even if they are paid profiles, why would the artist not share those profiles? I personally find this a major frustrating drawback to Kemper products with this exposure; trying to hunt down profiles that seem one would think would want to be shared.

With that said, are there any profiles anyone has found that an artist uses - or has used (paid or not), that they're willing to share? Maybe we can all help each other if the artists won't directly.

• I doubt that it occurs to them. They’re tools for a purpose. They aren’t looking for community.

They’ve also spent countless hours if not years honing their sound.

Frankly, being asked to sell all that time and effort, as if it was no big deal, for a few bucks online would likely piss me off.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Even if you did have their exact profile, the chances of you sounding identical to said person is not going to perfectly happen. Your guitar, pickups, cables, hands, pick, pick attack, signal chain, room, etc will most likely alter something in some way. My best advice is to find a profile that is close/similar and do your tweaking to your liking and be done with it so you can get on to playing your guitar and making music.

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

• I've been spending more than a year on developing my own profile, I am 90% there, It may take me 5-10 more years to get to 100%. I would never share it until I retire and am inducted into the HOF! And then I might sell it instead of sharing it for free depending on how much money is left in the bank after paying for hotel room destruction (that my bandmates did), paying back my manager for some paycheck advances (that my bandmates took), and paying alimony to five wives (that my bandmates took advantage of). All while I was living in a hilltop house driving 15 cars.

So I respect their wishes to keep there stuff secret. Sort of adds to the music mystery anyway.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• With that said, are there any profiles anyone has found that an artist uses - or has used (paid or not), that they're willing to share? Maybe we can all help each other if the artists won't directly.

#1 asking for commercial profiles to be shared is dangerously close to piracy

#2 The Kemper Rig Pack "Ace Skunk Anansie" are Ace's amps, set up in his way by him, mainly for his use but graciously shared with the PROFILER community. The same with the (internationally probably not well-known) german band Revolverheld.

Bert Meulendijk, Keith Merrow, ViViX the same thing.
    And then there is the Michael Wagener Rig Pack, a compilation of all the tones he created for countless top-notch artists, sounds that defined an era of hard rock / metal.

• Even if you did have their exact profile, the chances of you sounding identical to said person is not going to perfectly happen. Your guitar, pickups, cables, hands, pick, pick attack, signal chain, room, etc will most likely alter something in some way. My best advice is to find a profile that is close/similar and do your tweaking to your liking and be done with it so you can get on to playing your guitar and making music.

Good advice! Totally agree.

and I'd like to add that a different guitarist with THE SAME complete Rig sounds different. It's someting that I've always clearly noticed anytime I've seen Slash's Tech doing a quick soundcheck (of stage monitors) just before the show.

And That's exactly what he confirm here. (Jump at 8:15 if You're not intrested in his rig)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The rig exchange has some great profiles, obviously you'll have to search through many bad profiles to find great ones...It's illegal to share the 3rd party profiles that can be purchased (..thjis should be common sense..) There are a TON of 3rd party profiles that are "proffesionally done" and sound amazing, many for $50 or less (..CHEAP!!) Artist not willing to share their profile? Nothing new ..I spent countless hours profiling my boogie and tone to get it where it is now, and it's "MY" sound, I have NO interest in giving that to someone...

Agian, this should not seem unusual by any means. Finding great profiles and tweeking to your liking is super easy.

• I'm pretty sure Mark Knopfler had someone help create his profiles, so ownership of the IP isn't necessarily clear cut.

Mark could play a Squier Strat through a cheap amp and sound amazing, so even having the profiles would only get part of the way there.

• I'm pretty sure Mark Knopfler had someone help create his profiles, so ownership of the IP isn't necessarily clear cut.

Mark could play a Squier Strat through a cheap amp and sound amazing, so even having the profiles would only get part of the way there.

You could take Eric Johnson’s guitar out if his hands right as he finishes a tune…..and sound exactly like…..You.

• Also, these people are professional musicians, so they're by definition competing for money with other guitarists. It used to be common to keep your "little secrets" to yourself.

• Also, these people are professional musicians, so they're by definition competing for money with other guitarists. It used to be common to keep your "little secrets" to yourself.

not necessarily - there are some that enjoy spreading rumors, but others go the full disclosure way, telling people exactly what they were doing and why they were doing it - 'professional musicians' are a quite diverse group

• I seem to remember way back that Tom Scholz told everyone exactly how he got his sound for Boston.

People lost their minds saying “A magician never reveals his secrets..”

• Well, EVH would not tell Randy Rhoads how he kept his guitar in tune. Rhoads GF reported he was upset EVH kept the secret from him (which I believe was the trem-stop EVH had installed in back of the floyd rose). I had read this from an online article but can't remember where.

I think if you happen to capture a little magic in your tone then you are less likely to share up front but eventually do.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• During a Jeff Beck sound check my lovely girlfriend and I snuck in and sat down in the back row.

Beck got pissed off at Jan Hammer and his band and told them all to get the fuck out.

The stage lights blinded his view of me so we moved closer so I could study his rig settings.

He spotted me and yelled "you get the fuck out too", he looked at Melissa and said " But the Bird can stay".

I said the bird's with me so fuck off!

The show was phenomenal I never got the rig setting but Jeff Beck hit on my girlfriend. 8)