Privacy of profiles?

• I don't get this. Why do people feel they are owed things?

Why should people feel pressured to share their stuff, its their choice, its not a right.

Why is it Kemper's problem? They have created an amazing platform to even enable the possibility but its a criticism that not enough people share their IP?

Interesting the OP hasn't commented since....

Interesting the OP hasn't commented since....

I for one do not feel I'm owed anything. Quite the contrary. My desire for the Tone Show rigs to be shared is more about adding value to them. I'm content with freezing the videos and copying the parameters.

It *is* interesting that the OP hasn't made another comment.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nobody has said this??? Not sure where this is coming from.

If you went to a concert and the guitar player had covers on his amps so no one could see what they were, would that not seem odd? Me personally, I would think the person is a douche. By using a Kemper, you basically have covers on your amps. Since we cannot see the amps, the question is why don't they say "I am using this profile." So we as fans can say "oh that person uses an M.Britt plexi profile! Cool!".

Of course many players have the big amps in front, even though they are using a different amp and setup behind that wall. Which is similar to having covers on the amps, but it is done for sound repeatability not covert actions. Without searching, I recall Hetfield, Lifeson, and May all discussion their live rigs and how they were behind the line.

As others have stated, there is no general forum for them to state this information. So 98% of players do not say what profile they are using because it does not occur to them that they even could or should. Not like they will stop the concert so the guy can scream out "I am using JoeBob's Soldano profiles!!! Wohoooo!!!" And then the 3 people in the crowd who even have a clue what they are saying can go "Sweet!".

And for those players that don't care who knows their setup, one would think they might even share their profiles (or info if they are paid for). So fans can play along at home.

And in the end it doesnt even matter, since many players use different amps every tour anyway. So do players use different profiles all thru a tour? Get bored and switch to a different profile? Sure why not. Not like you have to safely ship and prepare a bunch of amps, just press a button.

So no one is saying they SHOULD share. Just saying its a weird situation we are in with modelers vs normal amps.

• What's the deal with artists being so private with their Kemper profiles? And why? There are countless artists that use Kemper products - from Tears for Fears, to Alex Skolnick, to Steve Winwood, to Muse - yet trying to track down what profiles they use is kept private. Why?

The OP said it....

• I seem to remember way back that Tom Scholz told everyone exactly how he got his sound for Boston.

People lost their minds saying “A magician never reveals his secrets..”

Tom Scoltz had good reason to share as he used the the Rockman that he invented and sold. It is also interesting how much more sharing Edward Van Halen did once he had Peavey, and then EVH products to sell.

• Tom Scoltz had good reason to share as he used the the Rockman that he invented and sold. It is also interesting how much more sharing Edward Van Halen did once he had Peavey, and then EVH products to sell.

People still freaked at Scholz’s tell-all.

EVH never really let the cat out of the bag on his original rig. As for Peavey & EVH Gear…..People *still* didn’t sound like him. 😁

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• My point here it is the artists choice.

Its part of their "sound" and its up to them how much they do or don't share. I see it as them being gracious if they do and I have no judgement on those that don't.

I get why EVH used to turn his back to minimize copycats. Randy was the opposite and seemed happy to share anything BUT neither is right or wrong. Imagine spending years developing a groundbreaking sound or technique only to have someone copy it ?

Rufus as you say this doesn't make them sound the same anyway :)

• My point here it is the artists choice.

Its part of their "sound" and its up to them how much they do or don't share. I see it as them being gracious if they do and I have no judgement on those that don't.

I get why EVH used to turn his back to minimize copycats. Randy was the opposite and seemed happy to share anything BUT neither is right or wrong. Imagine spending years developing a groundbreaking sound or technique only to have someone copy it ?

I think that's the key point.

It's their choice to keep their "business secrets" or to share everything (open source style).

If you run a pizza shop and everyone keeps coming back because your tomato sauce is awesome, you also would think twice before sharing the recipe. (couldn't think of a better example... Maybe I should get something to eat...)

• I think that's the key point.

It's their choice to keep their "business secrets" or to share everything (open source style).

And a third choice: monetize it. Some artists prefer to sell their profiles/presets or develop new ones for commercial purposes. Some others partner with companies to “bundle” their tone and settings in pedals or other piece of gear. EVH included.

• And a third choice: monetize it. Some artists prefer to sell their profiles/presets or develop new ones for commercial purposes. Some others partner with companies to “bundle” their tone and settings in pedals or other piece of gear. EVH included.

I have to say. I'd be more likely to buy a 'sounds like' profile it was endorsed by the artist. I've held off buying any so far, mainly bceause Ive enjoyed having a crack myself, but also if they don't sound anything like the previews you're down some cash.