Does direct mix ADD direct signal, or "divide" signal so that less goes to amp

• Quick question about signal flow - when increasing direct mix, does this:

1) simply add the direct signal (which as I understand is taken after pedal slots, and mixed back in before the cab) to the mix, or

2) "divide" the signal going into the amp, so that the more you turn up direct mix, the lower the volume of signal going into the amp

I am assuming it's the first option - but just want to make sure! Especially as elsewhere ckemper stated that at full direct mix it's 50/50 direct/amp - so another way of putting the question, does this just mean that the parallel direct signal is as loud as the amp'd signal at full direct mix - or that at full direct mix the signal's volume is divided 50/50 between amp and direct (hence the volume of the signal going into the amp would be 50% less)?

Reason I'm asking is that when I add a boost of any sort to the stomp section, I set it carefully so it drives the amp just how I like it for response/feel and gain. So if the second option is the case, this will mess up these settings when I increase direct mix. Again, I'm pretty sure this is not the case, but can anyone confirm?

• The direct signal is added, and you can clearly hear loudness and see the output LED go yellow if you set it to 10.0 on med gain or higher gain profiles.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.