Refining Profiles

• I’ve been exploring profiling my Phaez Corona, a range of clean through crunch tones.

What I’m experiencing is that when I “Refine” a capture it affects the Definition setting swinging it either to 0 or 10. If I capture the same an do not “Refine” then the Definition setting is about the midpoint of 5.

If the refined profile definition outcome is 0 then increasing definition produces a too bright tone.

If the refined profile definition outcome is 10 then decreasing definition produces a too dark tone.

Leaving the profile unrefined and thus yielding a definition outcome of about 5 produces a good profile and useable definition range.

So refining the profiles seems to bugger up the definition of the capture.

Any insight with what is happening in the refine process that is causing this?

Should I simply not refine the captured profile and leave be?

Thanks for an offered insight…

• I'm curious. Have you compared the refined profile at Definition 0 and 10 moving them back to 5, and then compared them to the unrefined profile?

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I'm curious. Have you compared the refined profile at Definition 0 and 10 moving them back to 5, and then compared them to the unrefined profile?

The unrefined profile at 5 sounds similar to refined profiles that end up at spectrum extremes of 0 or 10.

If I raise a refined profile from 0 to 5 it’s too bright, and conversely 10 to 5 is too dark.

• Take a look at some of the videos where Guido makes some profiles and look at just how surgical he is when refining.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Take a look at some of the videos where Guido makes some profiles and look at just how surgical he is when refining.

That's a helpful video! So refining is a reiterative process, hmmm...

Any understanding with what is he doing at the 7:10 mark with the volume manipulation... which level and for what purpose?

• That's a helpful video! So refining is a reiterative process, hmmm...

Any understanding with what is he doing at the 7:10 mark with the volume manipulation... which level and for what purpose?

I believe he is just testing the guitar volume roll off to see how it compares from the real amp to the profile.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Has Kemper spoken about the refining process outside of the limited instructions in the manual? Obviously folks are doing far more than “strumming chords with attitude for 20 seconds”. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• The Kemper does not know what kind of pickups you are using during this process. So it creates a ball park idea of what the amp is doing. then it refines these settings to your playing thru the actual amp. This may have weird things happen if your pickups/playing/etc are not typical of say a les paul being strummed normally.

Maybe try a different guitar or pickup selection?

I know I did some things like turn off the real amp when profiling so the mic was only picking up the acoustic sound of me playing or the sound of the Kemper thru my studio monitors and I got some very weird results.

So I am guessing the Definition, Gain, and IR are derived/adjusted from what you are playing in the refine process. Totally a guess and probably 100% wrong.

Palm mutes put out some very low freqs that strumming chords does not create. Probably a good idea on high gain stuff for sure.

• I'm gonna try to lower the pickup volume knob and then play with this "attitude" and see what happens. My guess it's gonna produce a tighter and clearer sound. I can't remember if I tried this before, I think I did. As I'm typing this it has occurred to me that I could engage or disengage a pedal in front of the Amp being profiled or an eq in the effects of the Amp and it would for sure change the refining outcome. I do remember I did something hella goofy one time in the refining process where I added a distortion pedal and it got all mangled sounded and then I changed the gain of the Amp or something and I could hear the kemper trying to play catch up most noticeably in the noise or static region of the tone (upper mids, high trebles areas), a gargling or an un gargling. Hope this inspires. Chairs.

• well... none of that worked :D:D:D:D:D:D

i also tried something i remembered i thought of long ago. I moved the eq knobs on the target tone while in the 3rd phase of profiling, which i was pretty sure is the cabinet resonance portion(?) it didnt really make a big difference that i could tell which I think is kinda weird but maybe not.