Simple Noob Question - Choosing to Record in Mono or Stereo with Kemper - is there any easy way to tell? Is it the Effects?

• Hello

I've seen threads that discuss the merits of recording guitar in mono or stereo, but I guess I simply misunderstand something important in making the determination. Most threads I've read seem to side with mono...but is there a simple way (or rule) to tell if a Kemper patch is meant to be recorded in stereo? I'm assuming that if certain effects are built into the patch, then maybe the answer is yes(?). I don't think I fully understand the difference between stereo effects and effects that just take advantage of panning, and so am left unsure. I currently have my main out as stereo, SPDIF Left as GIT and SPDIF Right as Stack, but I'm wondering if I should have the main out as Mono instead of Stereo, unless Stereo is actually warranted by the patch. Am I thinking correctly or not? Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you!

• Effects in the slots to the right of the Amplifier section (X, MOD, DLY, REV) can be Stereo effects.

If you use a stereo effect in one of those slots, then you could set your main outs to Stereo and get the full stereo sound.

Live From… Peace Frog’s Den features South Texas songwriters and musicians performing live original music from Peace Frog's Den's studio in San Antonio, Texas. All styles of music are welcome. Would love for you to check us out at https://bit.ly/livefrompfd.

• Stereo effects send two different signals at slightly different times to the left and right channel. This gives you a spacial effect which sounds like stereo. Panning simply takes a signal and moves it left, center, or right depending on your wishes. You can have a stereo mix with a mono tracked guitar and a mono delay and then pan the delay to the left or right. So , guitar could be middle and the delay can be heard on the left. You could also have the guitar on the right and hear the delay on left. Similarly, you could do the same with a stereo delay but have some bleed of the delay on the opposite side. I'm leaving out some obvious steps just to get to the basics of the differences.

It's all about what sounds good to you, and the type of genre and tune you are capturing.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Thank you very much for your responses. It doesn't sound like there is a rule of thumb for recording stereo guitar FX. I had assumed that if the device was outputting stereo effects, then you would record it in stereo by default, but it seems more nuanced than that . Thanks again.

• The Dr Bob videos are always full of great info but this one in particular should have you covered

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Love Dr. Bob videos. Always so practically applicable.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Hi!

I expect that if you always set up to record both your main outputs including any wet signal (modulation, delay, reverbs) and your dry guitar input with no processing, then you can re-amp as much as you like to get the tone/part you want.
    Just set up your Kemper outputs as explained in the manual. You can even choose just ‘Stack’ if you love the amp sound but want that tracked dry.
    Then set up your Daw to record the Main Outs on one stereo track and the other Direct Out or Monitor Out (whichever you choose) to a separate track. This will be a mono rendition of your dry signal.
    Now your wet recording acts as a guide so that the producer/mix engineer/mate who’s doing you a favour/yourself in your back room, can create the same sort of sound/vibe but with greater overall control as Dr Bob said. Or it might just work anyway! I think the sound Dr Bob ended up with wasn’t that great really! Pretty sure that if you were doing this yourself using Re-Amping with the Kemper right in front of you, the results would be superior.
    Use your ears and monitor quietly and carefully knowing your room sound signature.
    Just my thoughts.
    Good luck!
    Pre-Amp

• Then set up your Daw to record the Main Outs on one stereo track and the other Direct Out or Monitor Out (whichever you choose) to a separate track. This will be a mono rendition of your dry signal.

As Pre-Amp said, it is easy and practical to record a safety DI all the time. When using this method it also helps to group the two tracks and link the Record status and editing status of them . This way you only need to arm one track for recording and the other automatically goes into record at the same time. Likewise, if using comp edit tracks having these linked in a group means that you only need to edit one track and the edits are applied to both simultaneously which makes sure that the DI safety track and the amp track are always in sync with each other.