Getting the Kemper (powered) Kabinet to sound right...?

• Hi everyone!

I am once again asking for your support ^^

I've been using the Kemper Stage for a while now, and last year I got the Kemper Powered Kabinet to go with it.

The Kab is pretty cool, but I am having some issues with getting the "right" sound out of it.

When I use my main guitar, an ES335 type, the sounds I get from the Kab are very "shrill" and sort of uncomfortable (mainly when using the bridge pick up and some higher gain profiles).

When I go through my DT990 headphones and leave everything unchanged, it sounds absolutely amazing, truly...

I do play mostly through my headphones, but I think I would play more through the Kab if I got it to sound right. The other day I was in the store trying out some guitars, and noticed that the tube amps I was using (e.g., Fender HotRod deluxe, but also smaller and cheaper ones) had a much more pleasing sound to them (warm balanced).

Maybe I need to change some EQ settings?

I was using the Grammatico profile from MBritt (it's slightly better with ToneJunkie profiles, but I like this one) with the Creamback imprint (I tried all of them) and Kemper Kone active, Bass Boost active, directivity around 3 to 4, going through Monitor out and using "Master Mono" output.

Help would be much appreciated. Do you guys get the Kab/Kone to sound like your headphones?

Thanks!

• I use a powered Kemper with the passive Kabinet so not quite the same setup but should be the same unless there is a physical problem with your Kabinet.

Make sure that the Cab section of the Rig is ON. Turn off the Rig cabinet section only by using the Monitor Cab Off button in the Output Menu. If the cabinet is turned off in the Rig’s Stack section the Kabinet will go into Full Range Mode not Imprint and (as there is no speaker simulation in the rig because it is turned off) the sound will be very bright and possibly shrill.

• I use a powered Kemper with the passive Kabinet so not quite the same setup but should be the same unless there is a physical problem with your Kabinet.

Make sure that the Cab section of the Rig is ON. Turn off the Rig cabinet section only by using the Monitor Cab Off button in the Output Menu. If the cabinet is turned off in the Rig’s Stack section the Kabinet will go into Full Range Mode not Imprint and (as there is no speaker simulation in the rig because it is turned off) the sound will be very bright and possibly shrill.

Hey thanks for the reply!

Yes I have the Cab section on and Monitor Cab off, using the Creamback or V30 imprints :)

I have been fumbling around with the global Low Cut/High Cut, and especially putting the High cut to around 9K does improve this "shrillness", but I guess also changes the sound somehow?

• How is the Kabinet positioned? Like the amps you played in the store, or aimed at your face?

The Kab: On the floor, aimed slightly upward with the built on tilt-feet (more toward my face and slightly off-axis). In the store they sat square on the floor.

I sat a similar distance away from them as I do from the Kabinet.

Do you think this would make such a big difference? Thanks!

• Couple of comments from me ( not sure how helpful this is):

1) Don't expect headphones and Kabinet to sound the same. I know you already know this but I do wonder what, if anything, you have done to EQ/tweak your sounds for headphones which won't necessarily work for the Kabinet.

2) Because of point 1, some profiles will sound better through different monitor solutions, so try other profiles. MBritt profiles are notoriously dark but come alive at volume ( although I know you are saying its a problem with shrill sounds). Hence I would avoid any big EQ changes before trying other profiles

3) Volume plays a big factor - see point 2 :)

4) Try different imprints

5) Kabinet placement is definitely a consideration

Hope you resolve. I use my Kabinet at every gig and love it.

• Hi,

had the same "issue" while ago with stage and powered cab.

The solution for me was to set a high cut around 8-9 and mainly try every rig with imprint set in amp section to Frfr.

If the rig was Profiled with a V30 for example, using the V30 imprint is an nice improvement (most times at least).

Having V30 as a global imprint setting and go through rigs which are Profiled with a different speaker, Sounded harsh and shrill here and there.

Unfortunately, it is not possible yet to set Frfr as a global imprint to go through the rigs and manually improve the rigs you like by changing the amp section imprint.

But anyway it's just a few more clicks, nothing I would moan too much about as I am still happy how many Features Kemper introduces FOC without one has to purchase New Hardware.

Keep on rockin

• Don' forget the Deeflexx or the ToneShield.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Thank you everyone for you helpful replies!

This is nice advice, it definitely improves the issue to a certain extent. Thanks!

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I don't expect them to sound the same, but I would expect if my guitar sounds amazing over headphones, for it to sound atleast acceptable over the Kab.

It is weird, because I don't have this issue with my Telecaster, which honestly sounds quite good, however very thin compared to my Eastman T386. Also very thin over headphones. The pickups are much lower output though. Maybe I have to adjust the height of the pickups on the Eastman. I just don't fully comprehend how it can sound so different in quality - heaphones = amazing, kab = shite.

I have also tried a bunch of profiles from ToneJunkie, which are definitely more suited to the Kab than MBritt, but ultimately face the same issue...

Don' forget the Deeflexx or the ToneShield.

Well this is pretty interesting to be honest. But I don't see myself spending 350€ for a piece of plastic, seriously what are they thinking :D

• For those of you who find your powered kabinet too bright - i realized no matter which profile or guitar i use it has an annoying frequency at around 2.4-2.5khz. I play mine super loud because of our drummer and definitely hear this as a piercing bright ringing.

So lately i’ve been using a studio eq locked across all profiles with 80/8000 for lo cut and hi cut and a minus 2.5-3dB at 2450hz with q=5. The funny thing is i can raise the hi cut up to like 12k and it still sounds great now.

Try and do this with your units just set it to plus 14 dB and sweep around 2.4-2.5 once you naim that you will know and then kill that shit. It actually has improved even my live FOH sound because it no longer annoys the shit out of me and i can just enjoy playing.