KPA, SPDIF, and Interface

• Hello,

I am brand new to the Kemper Amp. I sold my Axe FX III after falling in love with the Kemper. I am currently building my studio desk and home and I want to connect my Kemper to my interface using SPDIF. If I connect my Kemper to my interface with SPDIF, will I be able to just use my monitor lines out of my interface to my studio monitors for playing while not recording? I would like the ability to easily record, but also to practice through my studio monitors without opening my DAW. Thanks

• I was looking at the focusrite 18i20

This interface has an onboard (software controlled) DSP mixer and it also features standalone mode.

Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of their Focusrite Control software ... but don't worry too much about my opinion.

I'm sure you can do everything you need once you get your head around that software and how it works. I'm an old audio engineering fart and I think differently in terms of what I want to see when I deal with a software controlled DSP mixer with lots of I/O channels. :)

• The Focusrite UI is <X (in a bad way).

You don't need an 18 input interface unless you are recording a full band. I would look at Motu products as well. They have easy UI and one of the lowest latency around. And how can you not like their LCD screens!

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.