How do you choose?

• Hi there!

Maybe a stupid question.. But how do you guys choose all your tones? With al the possibilities and limitless options for profiles, effects, tones, settings....

When I browes through the profiles I own, i sometimes do not hear if a profile is good or not. And when I find a good profiles for that moment, a day later it doesn't sound good for me anymore, or it doesn't fit in de band mix as i expected.

I am courious how you guys handle with this stuff. Looking forward to your stories!

• like dMatthews said, I play in a very similar band, I chose 4 basic amps from several different venders.
    a clean twin

A bass man with slightly pushed tone

A jtm 100

A Friedman

I also have a few specific to certain tunes

• Much will depend on the genre you play. Fender and Vox like amps for clean. Marshall and Mesa like amps for dirt. Peavy and EVH type for brown sound. etc. However, the Kemper can push any one of those models into the same territory as the other. So, I don't get hung up on what amp model I use.

I believe you need to create your tones to a mix or backing track for best results. Find the cover on youtube and then tweak your profile as it plays. Works for me.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Allround coverband; top 40 and classics. Some funky disco shizzle, some rock, etc.

I'm in a similar situation. I've settled on two primary profiles, both from Guidorist and both of which (I think) have at least one example included in his Rig Pack in Rig Manager. Guidorist's stuff just agrees with me where others have not.

Use the free packs on Rig Manager to sample various Profile makers. Even the identical amp, with the same settings and mics can (and usually do) come out very differently.

Bognar XTC (Bogner Ecstasy)

- His group of Soldano Hot Rod 50 profiles is also very good

Vendra Show (Fender Showman)

- I like it better than his Deluxe Reverb, but they're both really good

I also swap the Fender for a JC120 of his at times. He calls them Rolando. Certain dirt pedals work really well at getting a different kind of gain from it.

Guidorist also periodically does a 2 for 1 special on individual amps. Around holidays, it seems. Normally an amp pack is 6 bucks....which is dirt-cheap.....but 2 for 1? It's legalized theft in my opinion. There aren't a lot of profiles in his packs - but at least for me it's quality over quantity.

I also tend to use one of two cabinet blocks. A 412 1960x Marshall with Greenbacks and a 212 cab with V30s. Not sure where they came from. I'm also not picky/precious about studio or merged profiles. I'll mix and match anything to find a sound. Like a '67 Fender Champ (by HAYS) into that 412. With a Tele.....epic.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I browse a pack until I find something outstanding : that means as good as my collection of classic profiles accumulated starting 10 years ago , these are my references.

I only keep the best in my profiler and personal directory in RM , often 1 in 50 test profiles.

The guitar matters a lot for me ,as the amp & pickup interaction may sound glorious or dull given the guy who did the profile has same tastes in guitars , pickups and dialing the amp. There is a luck factor to it & you'll find some incredible tones , these will be the basic profile for lots of tweaking and numerous sub profiles.

• Dumble, dumble dumble 😎

The Kemper the only way I will ever be able to afford to play one anyway.

Any recommendations for good profile?

I’ve never found a Dumble profile that seemed to do one justice.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Mbritt's Dumble is my goto for cleans and edge of breakup. And +1 for guidorist's soldano hot rod.

TimEkkelboom I think everyone has the same problem, but over time the list of useful for you profiles will become shorter. Give a solid try to stock profiles first before buying anything else. Many are fantastic (like EVH with Hesu cab for metal - I love it).

• A YouTube video featuring Mars Golub Crnch (well before it was a Factory Profile) was the main reason I tried a Profiler in the first place, back in late 2012. I used it for Marshall sounds until I profiled my own Marshall (my Rigs are available on the Rig Exchange).

I still use an old Factory Matchless Rig for Clean to break up (depending on my guitar volume) sounds.

• Thanks for your comprehensive answer! I'm going to look them up and give them a try. I'll get some rigs ready for rehearsal so I can hear in the band.

In terms of guitar I (I think) have made a big step forward. Recently purchased an Ibanez az2204nw. A great guitar with many options in terms of pickups.

Funny thing, Last night I bought the Bogner Ecstacy and Orange Rockaverb profiles from Guidorist to try them out. Read a lot of good stories about his profiles on the Kemper forum.

• And those are all Rig Pack profiles?

• I have gone backwards many times by first finding a cab sound that I like, even if I have an amp type or sound in mind. Cab and mic can be argued about exact percentages but the range seems to be somewhere between 50 to 80% of your tone will be from the cab and mic section. So I start there as best as I can, then lock the cab section and flip through either whole presets or the Amp block only. I also save a few cabs in the "from presets" section of browse menu of the cab section.

• Well I tought it would be nice to give you some feedback. I looked up a couple of your profiles (and bought some of Guidorist, didn't regret that).

I ended up making a couple of rigs, all from clean to break down the house:

- Bogner Goldfinger 45 (M Britt)

- Bogner XTC blue (Guidorist)

- Orange Rockaverb 50 (Guidorist)

- Marshall JCM800 (M Britt)

- Friedman Pink Taco (M Britt)

Will try them all during rehearsal and gigs. Will catch up with you after!