Why don't I sound like [insert favourite artist] even though I am using profiles of their amps????

• I saw this video recently and it made me think of all the posts about rigs not sounding like XXXX (artist or profile pack demo).

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

There is no denying Alex Skolnick is a fantastic guitarist. But even playing Lukather's own guitar through Lukather's actual rig and playing a few Toto riffs he doesn't sound like Luke. The rest of us mere mortals should be too hard on ourselves :D

• Just watched that a couple of nights ago when it popped up on YouTube and it was a little underwhelming. I've seen a lot of videos over the years of Skolnick playing and it's usually quite inspiring and entertaining, he's a monster player. This didn't really compare to most of the videos you see of him as far as showing his capabilities as a player but it might have been one of the most fun to watch. A player of his caliber doing Toto licks with a big grin, gotta wonder if he was thinking "Dude, I'm playing Lukathers rig", I thought it was pretty cool.

• I've seen some guitarist play and sound almost exactly like an artist. If you closed your eyes, you couldn't tell the difference. One played EVH and another played Angus Young. Sorry, can't remember their social sites.

These guys are really good, however, I would not want to go through life as an Elvis impersonator, or someone who can paint exact copies of the Mona Lisa. I want my own identity - good or mediocre. I believe you loose your own creativity and uniqueness portraying someone else.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I've seen some guitarist play and sound almost exactly like an artist. If you closed your eyes, you couldn't tell the difference. One played EVH and another played Angus Young. Sorry, can't remember their social sites.

These guys are really good, however, I would not want to go through life as an Elvis impersonator, or someone who can paint exact copies of the Mona Lisa. I want my own identity - good or mediocre. I believe you loose your own creativity and uniqueness portraying someone else.

Agree 98% ... The exception is this guy :

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• Agree 98% ... The exception is this guy :

Cheers !

Erm, I might be missing the point....Randy does an amazing job of covering Hendrix. Not sure he adds "himself" much. What he does do ( of the little I've seen of him) and many people who cover other artists, is improv the way Hendrix does. In other words, I don't expect him to tap or play extreme pinch harmonics because Jimi would never have done that.

So It feels like you are emphasizing the point BayouTexan is saying, he limits his personal creativity to be within the context of the original.

I'm in the same camp ( but no where close to Randy). I'm in a tribute to The Cult. I want to play as close to Billy Duffy as I can because that what we "sell" ( along with sanctuary - bit of a Cult joke there).

Conversely I'm also a bit lazy so sometimes my solos are not identical, and like any artist neither are Billys live. But I try to play within the confines of how Billy plays. By definition there is a bit of me in there and Billys playing has influenced me significantly but its probably not my true voice....and Im Ok with that because Billy writes better songs than me and I love playing his stuff.

I think this is the same for any covers band, and there is a risk of sparking the whole originals vs covers discussion. I'll try to put that one to bed by saying:

1) Covers ( tribute or fundamental re-writing) always require some level of input from the individual but also provides some level of limitation

2) As a result this does not mean that is no creative input into covers, just less than original material

3) Playing covers vs original - neither is better. They are preferences as to how we enjoy playing music

4) This ( the original video) shows that most of the sound is in the hands.

• A distinction between cover and tribute is the experience.

A cover band will play all manner of artists, with varying degrees of adherence to the source material. At least for me, I'm not expecting a cover band to sound like the record. Make it recognizable.....but go somewhere with it. I know the recording....gimme something unexpected. Ear candy, if you will.

At least I hope that's what others enjoy, because that's how our band goes about it.

Tribute bands tend to play one artist's stuff and strive to recreate the experience of the specific band. Randy Hansen goes all the way. He doesn't want you to see Randy Hansen. He wants you to feel as if you've seen Jimi Hendrix. Similar to the way an actor performs in a movie or play. They portray someone else. There is *plenty* of artistry there. Being yourself is actually easier, I think.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• His bass player is a good friend of mine.

One night he brought Randy to this blues jam bar in Düsseldorf (Germany)which actually is more a meeting point for hardcore alcoholics and crazy freaks of all kind..anyway..

Randy went on this "stage" grabbed a cheap strat copy and played with no pedals or anything over this bad serviced Twin which sounded awful no matter who played over it. Every player had to bring some pedals to be make it "usable ".

Long story short..

Randy sounded awesome. Insanely good. Don't know if he sounded like he sounds with his gear but this is not the point. Point is he sounded like him. No excuses and no "man ..this is not my guitar " and stuff. Nothing of all this. He just rocked the house with what he had at his hands in this moment and he made it work.

• A distinction between cover and tribute is the experience.

A cover band will play all manner of artists, with varying degrees of adherence to the source material. At least for me, I'm not expecting a cover band to sound like the record. Make it recognizable.....but go somewhere with it. I know the recording....gimme something unexpected. Ear candy, if you will.

At least I hope that's what others enjoy, because that's how our band goes about it.

Tribute bands tend to play one artist's stuff and strive to recreate the experience of the specific band. Randy Hansen goes all the way. He doesn't want you to see Randy Hansen. He wants you to feel as if you've seen Jimi Hendrix. Similar to the way an actor performs in a movie or play. They portray someone else. There is *plenty* of artistry there. Being yourself is actually easier, I think.

Well put.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.