Kemper identifying file types.

• If I'm not mistaken, Merged and Studio profiles have the same extension. If there wasn't a S or M in the name, how would you know what type of profile it was? I wonder how the Kemper knows if the profile is merged or studio, guessing something in the program? One must signal cab driver off and one on but it has to know if it should or not. I may be overthinking this..

• I may be overthinking this..

of course you are. That’s what you do. Wouldn’t be you if you didn’t. Doesn’t make you a bad person though :)

The Kemper doesn’t need to know whether its a Studio or Merged profile as it handles them both the same way.

One must signal cab driver off and one on but it has to know if it should or not.

The cab driver doesn’t need to be on/off differently for each. I’m fairly confident that it only matters when creating a rig.

With a Studio Profile cab driver has to estimate what is the cabinet and what is the amp during the profiling stage and saves the results as part of the rig. In use you are just turning off this cab split which is already saved as part of the rig.

With a merged profile cabdriver makes the split at the merging stage and saves the cab. Once a Merged profile is created the KPA will switch off the cabinet in the same way as for a studio profile.

• Thanks that helps. So both are handled the same way but one is split "more accurately". Is there a way to tell if a profile was created as a merged or studio profile other than the title?

• No, not as far as I know.

I was thinking maybe the programming would indicate somewhere if it used the merged profile data to make the split or cab driver. Example: If someone gave you a profile, and said it was merged but really was a studio profile, you'd have no way of knowing if they were telling the truth?

• The PROFILER OS can distinguish Studio and Merged internally.

That's what I was guessing. So there has to be something in the "program string". Is there a way a human can see if a profile is merged or studio besides opening up the data in a profile? Or even opening up the data in a profile?

• No, you can't see it and we didn't conclude how to present it. Showing "Studio" and "Merged" is just half of the story.

You could combine an amp from a Merged PROFILE or a Direct PROFILE with the cabinet of another Merged PROFILE or an impulse response. The result would be a stack with two components of high accuracy, but not a Merged PROFILE in its true sense. You could also create hybrids combining components with normal accuracy and high accuracy and later combine these again with other components.

We don't want to make this overly complicated. At the end of the day people need to judge with their ears subjectively anyhow.