Less features - Focus on solid OS -

• Less is more - I don't need a pedal in the pocket that can loop for an hour and maybe bluetooth with my aircon

I like what I got - a nice solid chunk of guitar pedal hardware with a plain LCD screen (stage) that creates absolute sonic havoc - stable OS always preferred over MORE MORE MORE -

100% respect to anyone's wishes for extended features but as is, it blows my fricking mind!! Its a life changer.

Had a few hiccups but all OK at this moment

• I agree with you !

I'm coming from Helix and i've lost many possibilities but i don't care cause i didn't use them

I'm not afraid of OS stability, when there's a bug, Kemper Team corrects that pretty quickly.

Thing i want is not too much possibilities to be lost and programm a lot of menus in every Rigs.

On the same time, since three years i have been owning my stage, there have been a lot of big improvements and Kemper kept it simple !

• What pushed you more toward the Kemper? I had a helix when it was first released and returned it due to reliability issues but have been curious about how the Helix has developed since my first experience with it

• What pushed you more toward the Kemper? I had a helix when it was first released and returned it due to reliability issues but have been curious about how the Helix has developed since my first experience with it

In fact, i've bought many things before the Kemper. :evil:?(

I began with a L6 Firehawk in 2016. It convinced me to use modelers.

I switch for a Helix LT cause prices decreased and i had a B-stock one at a lower price.

Then i played with a Yamaha DBR 10.

I bought a Variax and a Powercab plus to have all the package....^^

The sound to the FOH was really really good, but i was never satisfied when i played alone at home... I was still turning knobs to improve something....

I favor amp/cab sims and Helix can do crazy things but i didn't use them : having many amp in parallel at the same time or sending one amp sim on many cabs sims, using IRs, etc.... My chains were not so complex as what Helix can bring... 32 blocks/4parallel paths....

Kemper Stage matches better to my philosophy

A simple preset ; one amp/cab, some effects but not so much... And the simulations :love:, WOW....The first time i receive it, i've played for hours <3

I had no reliability problems with all my L6's devices ; it had been the opposite in fact, i had some with the new Kemper Stage, but everything's OK today ; I keep it :thumbup:

• Its funny because for every person that says this, another 10 go "but it doesn't have dual amps" or "I need better delays".. :)

I think Kempers philosophy has been around base sound and functions rather than gadgets but they will continue to be under pressure to keep up with other digital devices.

I think the base product is very stable. I have had no issues with the profiler. I think RM continues to need work BUT this is less imporatnt to me as it doesn't affect the core sound, just the functionality

In fact I think this is the first time I've heard of sound drop outs since I've had mine and they have leapt on it, so software stability in my mind ( and I work in IT) is pretty robust.

So I'm with you!

• So what features would the OP shaved off?
    No matter what features are removed, they would be integral to some users setup.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• It’s not a coincidence that this thread was created now. I think it’s pretty unfair to imply a steady stream of problems due to the team pushing untested and unfinished software. It’s just not true.

If stability is all that matters to you, why upgrade at all?

• No reason why they can't walk and chew gum at the same time mate.

Stability tweaks have been numerous-and-ongoing.

I always load up my Profiler with a pack of Wrigleys. :) It keeps me from biting my tongue on hard solos.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• It’s not a coincidence that this thread was created now. I think it’s pretty unfair to imply a steady stream of problems due to the team pushing untested and unfinished software. It’s just not true.

In light of recent events, it is obvious that the FW was not tested fully. Either the FW team failed to execute the tests or the test suite is incomplete. There should be regression testing to avoid precisely the situation that recently occurred. This is a significant failure, period. The fact that Kemper responded is certainly good. The fact that they responded with a new revision containing a bug is bad. Again, this should not happen with proper regression testing and all the indications show that Kemper's regressions are problematic. In addition, this is mature hardware and the use cases are well-known and defined. After all these years, the regressions should be solid. This is not a prototype at this point. Sorry, but this points to significant deficiencies in the FW release flow and Kemper should be apologetic and embarrassed.

• That might be so, but it still has nothing to do with Kemper focusing on building unnecessary functions. And even though this shouldn’t happen, with everything implemented over the last ten years, it obviously haven’t impacted core performance more than occasionally and then in the betas.

How do you know they aren’t regression testing properly? An edge case will sneak through every now and then, no matter how much money you through at it.

• ...How do you know they aren’t regression testing properly? An edge case will sneak through every now and then, no matter how much money you through at it.

First, I don't know if they do regression testing at all, but I assume that they do. So there is that. More importantly, an edge case failing to be caught is an improper regression test by definition. The goal of regression testing is to make sure that the system is FULLY(not partly) functional after code changes are made. You can argue that since it is beta the full functionality is not guaranteed. Even so, it's an opportunity for improvement.

• First, I don't know if they do regression testing at all, but I assume that they do. So there is that. More importantly, an edge case failing to be caught is an improper regression test by definition. The goal of regression testing is to make sure that the system is FULLY(not partly) functional after code changes are made. You can argue that since it is beta the full functionality is not guaranteed. Even so, it's an opportunity for improvement.

The goal of regression testing is to reduce the risk of defects in the systems.

No system is completely immune, even after a full test programme. For systems consisting partly of software, this is doubly true (well, much more than doubly). A full test programme will also not cover any conceivable error that might occur.

Although I agree that the first bug fix not being effective is unfortunate (assuming the same root cause).

It may be that the area of defect and root cause should have been higher on their radar (either due to previous bugs, or parts of architecture being subject to recent changes. But ensuring something like this will never ever happen is utopia.

• Can we keep this in context?

The OP is relatively new to Kemper ( I believe ) and his first experience is sound drop outs, which is pretty significant. Hence raised the legitimate concern that perhaps the focus is on features rather than quality. With nearly 30 years in software dev, I actually think the opposite.

I have never seen this type of problem before since I have had my KPA, including loading every Beta since release. Also the sound drop outs only impacted some users, I never had this a issue.

So this tells me:

1) This was an edge case, else everyone would have it

2) Kemper's software release process and testing is pretty robust - x number of released

Anyone who thinks any kind of testing can be 100% perfect will ultimately be disappointed.

• I'll state it again - the GOAL of regression testing is to make sure that the system is fully functional after changes are introduced. Whether 100% coverage is achievable in practice is a different question. That depends on the complexity of the system, the talents of the designers and time allotted. In any case, I've had my powered Kemper for about 1 year and have suffered with several issues which I believe are FW related. These include the recent dropout issue, no sound through the power amp into cab requiring multiple power cycles to resolve, distorted sound on all patches requiring one or more power cycles and/or a reset to resolve, USB connectivity while in RM. I am not listing the plethora of RM issues as I don't believe those are likely FW related. Some of the issues I experienced may be related to the power amp section and interface. This could obviously result in differing experiences for those with and without the built-in amp.

Long way of stating a different opinion regarding the OP's concern about quality vs features. This has much to do with relative experience. V8's post is positive regarding quality. The OP experienced a serious issue very early on in his experience. I use mine live for both bass and guitar. Much to my chagrin, I am always lugging a backup head based on my experience. I don't trust that the powered Kemper won't fail. During a gig last week, I power cycled 3x before sound check to get any output. Then another power cycle right at the moment of the first song because the sound went dead again. A major point here is that someone else's positive experience has no bearing on issues that I am having in the moment. "Hey everyone, I have no sound, but a lot of other Kemper users do" said no one to the audience.

I'm gigging with it tonight on bass. I'm wishing myself luck.

Edited once, last by lbieber ().

• I fully understand and, I suspect so do many people, understand regression testing - I can bore you with my experience further if needs be. No one challenged the definition of regression testing, just the expectation that it can fully eliminate bugs. The goal is irrelevant because its aspirational and in fact not possible to achieve 100% of the time for every software release. Testing itself is a replication itself of live so can never be truly representative, which is only one reason that statement is a fact.

The ONLY reason I flag that I've had few issues ( with my power rack) is to give the wider view that the platform and process is generally extremely stable. Of course that doesn't help at a gig if it fails and me saying " well mine is fine" doesn't directly help the OP.

I am merely pointing out that its not systematic and not normal behavior. I have ultimate confidence it will get sorted, so I added it only to encourage people to persevere as it will get resolved. I believe shared experiences help...conversely, if the platform was "wobbly" I would expect people to tell me.

• Yes, I have a new stable product due to good service and outcomes - but important to note, I did supply videos and a lot of detail which really helped, in some ways it was an example of teamwork between customer and creator.

I am just a fan of simplicity which I love with this product.

I rarely use RM. BUT each to their own and I wish everyone gets a piece of what they want or wish for from their Kemper journey

Every day with my Kemper is better than a day without it... 🤣😊