Profiler owners - what makes you any different?

• This might seem like a funny title until I explain a little history about Kemper. For many years Mr Kemper was responsible for a hugely successful synthesizer the Access Virus. There have been a number of iterations of this synth but it currently retails as the Access Virus TI2. TI stands for total integration - namely that the synth is completely integrated with a computer via a plugin window and the audio is transmitted via USB. This synth is everywhere in popular music. Look it up!

So what? You say..... Well Access have abandoned owners of the Virus by not bothering to update the software. As a result the synth doesn't work with any Mac with a Catalina onwards OS. Despite numerous requests from owners to continue to support the synth (which is still for sale new) Access has gone quiet for several years. Many people now own a £2K piece of abandonware. So be warned Kemper Profiler owners. Don't expect to be treated any differently when it suits Access/Kemper to ditch you because it is convenient for the company.

• Well, the KPA works great as a stand alone unit. It does not have to be

connected to a computer to work ..... :rolleyes:

Upgrading / updating is optional, no one forces you to update ..... ;)

( BTW , I´m still on OS 6 and have no problems what so ever with my KPA 8o )

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• I have a Mac from 2011. High Sierra is the highest they go. That was 2017. I do not begrudge Apple for moving on and still use the machine every single day.

The KPA operates as a standalone unit just fine. A computer isn’t a necessity by any means.

I’m not sure what you’re in about, but ‘to be helpful’ wasn’t it.

What makes us different, you ask? For one, we’re not petty.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Midi on Virus works with macOS Catalina+ so the only inconvenience is that audio has to routed via external interface (which many people do anyway in studios).

It is abandonware but still very capable and sounds very good.

Any company can stop supporting any product at any time - happens all the time. Calculate your risk and enjoy the ride while it lasts!

• I had quite the opposite issue when I bought my Stage. Rig Manager only worked with Windows 10. My studio PC was Win 7Pro. So I ran a 2nd PC just for Rig Manager. It was quite annoying. Especially because RM is not doing anything that should require more than Win XP. So if they update RM to go past Win 10, I will be completely screwed and need to buy a new PC just for RM.

Which is still much better than my old Line 6 software that runs its core/thread 100% all of the time. While it sits idle... 100% CPU usage.

• I've never owned a Mac (or Apple) product and never will. So, I need no warning about Apple products.

My whole house runs on Apple stuff. Phones, iPads, AppleTV, Etc. And I hate it all. But they are the lesser evil compared to Google.

But for PCs, I have never even seen a Mac. The phone OS sucks so bad I would never even think about a Mac. But Logic seems almost worth it. It seems to do all the things I would want in a studio package. So maybe one day... maybe???

• My whole house runs on Apple stuff. Phones, iPads, AppleTV, Etc. And I hate it all. But they are the lesser evil compared to Google.

But for PCs, I have never even seen a Mac. The phone OS sucks so bad I would never even think about a Mac. But Logic seems almost worth it. It seems to do all the things I would want in a studio package. So maybe one day... maybe???

Reaper does everything Logic does. It might just not look more pretty doing it. ;)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Reaper does everything Logic does. It might just not look more pretty doing it. ;)

Logic has a lot of virtual instruments in it that Reaper doesn't have. Logic is a great DAW for a guitar player to be able to create music all by themselves. It is a lot of bang for the buck. The biggest drawback is that you have to have a Mac to run it.

• This might seem like a funny title until I explain a little history about Kemper. For many years Mr Kemper was responsible for a hugely successful synthesizer the Access Virus. There have been a number of iterations of this synth but it currently retails as the Access Virus TI2. TI stands for total integration - namely that the synth is completely integrated with a computer via a plugin window and the audio is transmitted via USB. This synth is everywhere in popular music. Look it up!

So what? You say..... Well Access have abandoned owners of the Virus by not bothering to update the software. As a result the synth doesn't work with any Mac with a Catalina onwards OS. Despite numerous requests from owners to continue to support the synth (which is still for sale new) Access has gone quiet for several years. Many people now own a £2K piece of abandonware. So be warned Kemper Profiler owners. Don't expect to be treated any differently when it suits Access/Kemper to ditch you because it is convenient for the company.

You must never have purchased a Fractal unit. I have an Axe FX Ultra that has been out of support for many years. There are a few other units that they have made that are no longer in support. Their fanboys keep lining up to buy the newest unit when it is released.

• From my perspective, Kemper has always treated every support ticket in a timely manner and provides explanation of the issues and tries to resolve them. I agree with V8guitar's perspective as well: 8)

Thanks for the warning.

I've had my KPA 8 years with fantastic support.

If it stopped tomorrow, Id still be happy because it works.

• The profiler is a hardware unit that will carry on working whether updated in future or not in the same way any amp or other piece of digital outboard will.

Think a few JD 800's are still going ;)

Anyway, is it Kemper's or Apple's fault?

• I use the Kemper live mainly and think of it as an amp with occasional upgrades. When those upgrades finish, it will still work like my old amp heads.

Seven years of perfect service and hundreds of shows means it paid for itself already.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Reaper does everything Logic does. It might just not look more pretty doing it. ;)

Does it have a real time FFT spectrum analyzer? Do freq sweeps and create IRs? Those are the killer things for profiling on the Kemper.

THREAD HIJACKED - Sorry OP - Still getting eyes on your original post though right???

• You must never have purchased a Fractal unit. I have an Axe FX Ultra that has been out of support for many years. There are a few other units that they have made that are no longer in support. Their fanboys keep lining up to buy the newest unit when it is released.

Little did I know when I posted this..... Fractal announced yesterday that they have finally obtained some processors and will be shipping the FM9 again. The interesting part is they had to move up to a more powerful processor because that is what they can get. The new processor is 10% more power. So, the FM9 I bought less than a year ago it technically outdated already. I swear this is the last unit of theirs that I spend my money on. I now know how the folks that purchased the FM3 without the headphone jack feel.

• Little did I know when I posted this..... Fractal announced yesterday that they have finally obtained some processors and will be shipping the FM9 again. The interesting part is they had to move up to a more powerful processor because that is what they can get. The new processor is 10% more power. So, the FM9 I bought less than a year ago it technically outdated already. I swear this is the last unit of theirs that I spend my money on. I now know how the folks that purchased the FM3 without the headphone jack feel.

it’s not outdated it’s just have 10% less of cpu power.

They changed the cpu certainly because they couldn’t get the previous one anymore.

The « turbo » is purely Marketing.