2 Kemper Stage units for performance - must have the tools for the job...

• This is more of a confession post.šŸ¤£ In my pro music life I always have 2 of what I use in performance - one on stage one backup.....two marshall heads ..two same guitars

So instead of getting an AMPERO 2 or any other cheaper unit I am thinking I will get what I want - another stage unit...you only live once

And I guess it prompts the question..what are other folks using as a backup rig??

• If I had money and the need of a back up, I would buy another Stage loaded with the same configuration.

The idea is to keep your habits, reflexes and switch to the backup in few minutes.

• If you have to play a lot of different styles in a gig with a lot of complex FX chains switching in each songs then I would say that it's the logical choice. Total peace of mind backup rig! Of course if you have the money and don't mind about carrying your equipment in double.

For my part, as I didn't experience a lot of problems with my Kemper head thru the years, I choose to go for the lightest backup rig. But I agree that it is far less confortable in the ''peace of mind'' department... ;)

• I have a rack and remote at rehearsal, and a stage at home. I bring the stage as back up for gigs. Got it for 800$ used which I consider a steal.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Oh yeah! sweet setup - I use the GLXD16 as well - very similar to how I will be running

The Voltoā€™s I use work great to power the receiver. They are used to power the GLXD only.

You get at least 5 hours out of each one. I use one for soundcheck and one for the gig.

It gets rid of the wall wart from onstage which isnā€™t easily replaced at a gig and is always vulnerable to getting crushed by flight cases and monitors being moved.

Then, I have a 50ft backup guitar cable that is on the backup Kemper Stage that can be used with either pedalboard if there is a problem with the wireless.
    They are working on a version 4 of the Volto but not available yet and all the ones I use seem to be sold out now.
    Anyway, itā€™s a nice solution for the future if you maybe want to go that way.

• I would even let them run in parallel with an A/B switch before the inputs. If something happen, just switch over to the backup and keep playing

I was talking to Bob Bradshaw about the possibility of him making me a box that would switch guitar signal and XLRā€™s for front of house with just one switch.
    Bob advised me to keep things exactly the way they are as by using another interface, you are then bringing a commonality into the equation that can render both systems to not work.
    He advised that an A and B rig should have nothing in common.
    Once I thought about it, I tended to agree.

• Nice I like that idea - I also like the GLXD as I hot swap guitars - I prefer to MUTE from the GLXD than hot swapping direct from KEMP STAGE input.

Definitely will have a cable ready in case of wireless issues.

• You guys are on another level and hence probably need this level of sophistication in a backup.

For me, I've never had a failure with the KPA, so just have a sans amp as an "emergency get me through the gig" backup...

• You guys are on another level and hence probably need this level of sophistication in a backup.

For me, I've never had a failure with the KPA, so just have a sans amp as an "emergency get me through the gig" backup...

With our band, most of the gigs are abroad so I always worry about everything getting there.

Saying that, did one in Sweden a couple of weeks ago and with the way things are with airports and baggage handlers at the moment, I took just one Kemper stage. I took it on the plane with me though inside the green Kemper Stage gig bag.

• Yeah awesome....to be honest I would do the same.take one on the plane and see what backline options I have at the destination.

Unless it's a tour maybe???

But hey we can basically take a USB stick now and plug in to a Kemper backline or Hire unit..

• The KPA took this "back up panic" from many,many players I know. Just recently a hardcore marshall nut head friend of mine left his two "battle rigs" (as he calls his 800/plexi with marshall cabs since 30 years) at home and just took a toaster for his bands 4 week touring through all of Europe. No back up. 'Says with the KPA he does not need any..That made me think indeed..

The KPA is a great reliable tool. Full stop.

• The KPA took this "back up panic" from many,many players I know. Just recently a hardcore marshall nut head friend of mine left his two "battle rigs" (as he calls his 800/plexi with marshall cabs since 30 years) at home and just took a toaster for his bands 4 week touring through all of Europe. No back up. 'Says with the KPA he does not need any..That made me think indeed..

The KPA is a great reliable tool. Full stop.

There is no doubt in my mind that the KPA is way more reliable than a regular amp hence why I have a very cheap emergency tool rather than a duplicate as I can;t really imagine ever needing one.

I only do pub gigs/small festivals so a bit lower end though :)

• The KPA is orders-of-magnitude more reliable than even the best tube rig and survives physical abuse quite well. At the beginning of August, my rack profiler was tossed 5 feet when a welded joint on an On-Stage amp stand broke during sound check. Scared h*ll out of me, but after setting up again it worked just fine and has continued to do so in the following weeks. Try that with a tube amp and let me know how it goes.

On-Stage really needs to improve their quality control, IMHO - but that's a different subject entirely.