Is it possible to get a great searing lead tone and a great rhythm tone without making adjustments for each?

• STYX, you know it’s a band I was always aware off but some how never really paid attention before, fantastic, they are the real Spinal Tap🤟🏼

Hehehe! I've just laughed the whole video/song thru. :D

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I have a few profiles that will do it, Mister May from rig exchange is a great example.

Set it to max gain on the KPA, this is your lead tone, roll back the guitar volume and you got a great crunch.

Pedal gain is another fantastic option :

best option is a morph profile with volume compensation

here is a pre-morph method that works well :

the function is right here in your KPA, I use it a lot :

setup your exp pedal in system menu like you do with the wah

setup your gain at max desired gain level ( set up at lead level for me)

choose this fx : wah pedal booster ( type knob)

set the pedal range to MINUS 100

now adjust the gain by foot smile.png clean , dirty , lead ... with just one rig

one drawback = there is no volume compensation

• I think I am close to making a single rig for searing lead and crunchy rhythm without messing with volume knobs and morphing but it is hard on my fingers. I am using modulation which I was trying to avoid, and the sustain knob on my Keeley Compressor. I just ran a test track and liked what I hear so I may record this rig for my next mix to critique. I'm still on the fence about using the modulation though and would like to be able to eliminate it for other songs.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I would have no problem doing this with the GB - Mars VM OD2 profile from the Guido factory pack. The rest is in the fingers.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• How is the modulation helping?

It is smoothing out the gainy chord progressions allowing the individual strings to be more pronounced. Normally, I would have to drop the guitar volume in half to keep the chords from getting mushy and overwhelmed with overtones at high gain -- this is what I've been trying to prevent without making adjustments.

• I would have no problem doing this with the GB - Mars VM OD2 profile from the Guido factory pack. The rest is in the fingers.

I'm working with the GB - Mars CM 800 808. Once I get my settings locked in, I will start swapping out the amp modules to compare.

• Hehehe! I've just laughed the whole video/song thru. :D

I've never seen this before and had to chuckle myself watching it.

BayouTexan To me the solo sound on the vid is a different sound and so whilst he's not physically switching himself, to me points to a different sound that you will struggle to get purely from the guitar volume. Personally I'm against using the guitar volume as its too fiddly, returning back tot the right position etc. I prefer single click, instant sound change.

We gigged on Sat and our previous guitarist was in the audience - he previously used to switch slots whilst I was crowd "pleasuring", so a slightly comedic moment when he came to the stage when I was in the crowd to do the honours :).

Alternatively I switch before I disappear and then race back. If I don't make it, I pick very gently until I switch - TBH I'm more worried at that point on navigating my way back without tripped over and looking a prat :)

Hope you get it sorted!

• I am so very close to making it happen. I've been making micro adjustments each day. It is aggravating but worth every bit if I get there.

• Good luck! I really think the examples you've given have a guitar tech doing things and the FOH engineer is probably nudging the volume up a bit. 🙂

It looks that way after some more research on the guitarist. However, I am about 95% their with my all-in-one tone. I'm only having trouble with the low E string being a bit too muddy for me. I'm trying to use very light modulation to correct it. I'm even thinking about yanking that string out and going with a hybrid size for the low E. I can hear my wife now bitching about all those wasted string packs.

• It looks that way after some more research on the guitarist. However, I am about 95% their with my all-in-one tone. I'm only having trouble with the low E string being a bit too muddy for me. I'm trying to use very light modulation to correct it. I'm even thinking about yanking that string out and going with a hybrid size for the low E. I can hear my wife now bitching about all those wasted string packs.

If the pickup in question has adjustable polepieces, you could just try to lower the low e one one or two turns :)

• If the pickup in question has adjustable polepieces, you could just try to lower the low e one one or two turns :)

I'm using a SD Custom TB5 trembucker. The lower coil has screws. Isn't higher to strings brighter and further away more bass (which I equate to muddiness)? I know too high gets you into warbly territory.

• I'm using a SD Custom TB5 trembucker. The lower coil has screws. Isn't higher to strings brighter and further away more bass (which I equate to muddiness)? I know too high gets you into warbly territory.

I believe it is more complex than that and that what happens also depends on the pickup. It's a very easy thing to try and since there is no soldering etc. involved you can compare the results pretty much in real-time. It *might* do something you like.

• Pole piece adjustments are for fine-tuning the relative power of each string. If the E's pole is not raised already then you should try lowering the bass side of the pickup a bit first. The farther away the less power, which doesn't exactly translate into more/less bass but lowering the power of the E string in relation to the others would probably help.