Still the One Orleans

• Does anyone know of a good profile and effects for the song Still the One by Orleans. Have a show coming up and will be playing the solo by myself so harmonizes will be needed for solo and fills. Has anyone developed a profile or performance for this song. Paid or Free.

Thanks

• That guitar solo was doubled so tuff for one guitarist to do.

Read this...

https://johnhallmusic.com/my-favorite-recorded-guitar-solos/

Still The One

By Orleans – Waking and Dreaming

I was going to stay off the beaten path, but this is a solo I get a lot of questions about. Larry Hoppen and I first met playing harmony lead guitar at a jam session in NYC, and we had a blast doing it for years. This is easily the best known example of that.

After the track was cut on the third try, with Jerry Marotta on drums and Wells Kelly playing percussion, Lance Hoppen on bass and Larry and me both playing rhythm (me the Chuck Berry variation and him the percussive chops) and after the upbeat Fender Rhodes part, we plotted a solo that would get attention. I played first, lower melodic voice, with Larry coaching me from the control room and suggesting what to keep and what to punch in over.

Once my lead was finished, he had the hard job. Larry learned my part one or two bars at a time, and played harmony above it. I sat in the control room and did the same “it’s good up the the fourth bar, let’s punch in on the downbeat” or whatever moved the ball down the field. Eventually his high guitar harmony was just right, a third, fourth or fifth harmony to mine and had his stamp on it despite being constructed to match mine. Learning to do the song live was a bear. Today, Fly and I play the same parts as closely as possible. Thanks, Larry and RIP. You too, Wells.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• It's really impossible to re-create with one guitar but it's one of my favorites to play. I use a mid-gain profile with a small amount of chorus and delay (300ms). For the harmony I apply a harmonic pitch stomp set at -3rd in the key of E (dbm) and play the high part. It's enough to get by and always a crowd pleaser!

• It's really impossible to re-create with one guitar but it's one of my favorites to play. I use a mid-gain profile with a small amount of chorus and delay (300ms). For the harmony I apply a harmonic pitch stomp set at -3rd in the key of E (dbm) and play the high part. It's enough to get by and always a crowd pleaser!

I think you've got the right approach there. The original is extremely complex, with the guitarists doing different bends.

OP - There are some really wide bends that are a real feature, so I'd make sure you find a way to do some of that.

• I think you've got the right approach there. The original is extremely complex, with the guitarists doing different bends.

OP - There are some really wide bends that are a real feature, so I'd make sure you find a way to do some of that.

Yep for sure! Those crazy bends is what makes it really fun to play. I’ve toyed with the ideal of recording the low part on my looper and playing the high part along with it, but I just feel that would be cheating lol