[Answered] Is true Mono always on Left Out?

• Is true Mono signal always on Left Out even when using Master Stereo and not on the Right Out also?

When double tracking in a DAW, I have two separate tracks for stereo; Left and Right. However, if I delete the Right recording and double track over it then is sounds tonally different than if I would just add a second Left track as the doubled part.

I like to record the first track in stereo for the benefit of listening pleasure, then delete the right channel track, and then just double track over the right.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• To rephrase:

If I record Kemper in stereo (with no effects) and hard pan to left then will this tone (left) be exactly the same as the tone on the hard pan right?

Or is it like left = mono, and right = mono + some delay algorithm and EQ.

• Okay done. The Left and Right channels are different when using Stereo Out on the Kemper mains. If I phase invert "flip" one of those wav files in DAW then their is no cancelation of sound to the other. In fact, it actually broadens the stereo field if you phase invert one channel (a neat trick to know).

Only when I duplicate one of the channels and then phase invert (see arrow in pic below) the duplicated track is when I get total cancellation of sound. So playback of Track 2 and Track 3 result in no sound at all.

So I answered the main part of my question. I will assume that the Left channel will always play in true mono whether Kemper Main Out is set for Mono or Stereo, and the Right Channel has an algorithm applied by default.

This was weird because even when I enlarged the wave files of the Left and Right in DAW before, they looked exactly the same at a glance but my ears was telling me different, and I thought I might need to see the ear Doctor.

• I don't think I have to "prove" something that is as basic as stereo being dedicated left channel and right channel.

And when it's mixed down to mono, a pan law is applied so you don't get a +6dB level bump when summing left and right channel into mono. I don't know what the actual pan law applied by the Kemper Profiler is, haven't measured it. But it's likely -3dB because that's "common practice".

• I don't think I have to "prove" something that is as basic as stereo being dedicated left channel and right channel.

And when it's mixed down to mono, a pan law is applied so you don't get a +6dB level bump when summing left and right channel into mono. I don't know what the actual pan law applied by the Kemper Profiler is, haven't measured it. But it's likely -3dB because that's "common practice".

Then this is a non answer for me. My OP was not about "basic" stereo practices, but about how mono vs stereo behaves on the Kemper main outs. I answered my question that satisfies my needs.

Cheers.

Edited 3 times, last by BayouTexan ().