DIY Powered Kemper Stereo MOD

• I haven't been very active on this forum... but I did make a DIY stereo MOD for the powered rack and head that I sell on my website. https://withanell.com/store/kemper

I also have it available on Reverb.com at https://reverb.grsm.io/withanellMOD

I kept it solderless...because of this it does require you to drill 2 holes and there is an external y cable. The cool biproduct of that is you get access to both channels of the amplifier and can actually use it to amplifier other fx if needed.

If you aren't afraid to take apart the Kemper, it is a relatively easy MOD. I've sold a bit under 100 units so far and haven't ran into any problems with installation.

Kemper Power rack with Remote
    TASTY JAMS!! :D

• It should be noted that not only do you void any remaining warranty by applying any type of modification to the specifications of the Profiler but you also lose permission from your local authorities to use it. Any hazard that is caused by a modified Profiler is not covered by any insurance.

• I made sure to plaster the warranty issue all over my website before actively selling.

As far as losing the permission to use it from the local authorities... I understand that the Kemper was submitted for testing and class compliance in its current configuration. My MOD just reroutes the input of the amplifier and bypasses the Bridged mode on the internal amplifier. Technically the MOD isn't modifying anything permanently except for the two extra holes in the chassis. The amplifier inside is still operating within its OEM specs.

Any damage caused by negligence during DIY install is the sole responsibility of the customer. No implied warranties are given or expressed.

P.S. I love all my Kempers. I just wanted stereo :)

• Just an observation. This mod could be performed with a little reading of the ICEPower literature, and rather than drilling holes in the Kemper for discrete output jacks a TRS jack could be used. Either way it voids the warranty of the Kemper and something I would not recommend.

An alternate approach for stereo is to use an external ICEPower module, and turning off the internal power amp. This would not void the warranty and the $299 could be deferred to buying the new power amp.

• The Mod went through several revisions before settling on its current configuration.

Originally I didn't want any cosmetic change and was going to do exactly as you stated with a TRS and Y speaker cable.

In order to do that, I would have to instruct the person doing the mod to solder 4 connections on a non discript board. As I could not gaurantee the ability of the end user to do so, I instead decided to go 100% solderless.

Solderless requires you to have an extra Y cable hanging off the back of the Kemper so a hole would have to be drilled anyway. I decided to have descrete outputs to clean this up a bit. (two Y cables off the back didn't appeal to me and I wanted to clear up any possible confusion)

The added benifit of having the Y cable with my Mod is I can amplify my Kemper and a Stage because I have access to both ins and outs of the poweramp.

You are 100% right. I do not recommend my mod to anyone who is worried about their warranty or cosmetically changing the appearance of the Kemper.

There is more than one way to skin a cat... I'm just providing another option.

• This looks like something I could be very interested in. I was about to buy a separate amp unit to power my second Boogie.

Warranty is a worry. Do you have a video showing the mod installation and if you don’t mind me asking. How long have you had this installed and in use?

• This looks like something I could be very interested in. I was about to buy a separate amp unit to power my second Boogie.

Warranty is a worry. Do you have a video showing the mod installation and if you don’t mind me asking. How long have you had this installed and in use?

I don't know why I'm no longer getting notifications from this forum, my apologies for the delay.

I am in the process of making several videos and will make one for the installation, however, I have not as of yet.

I have had this MOD installed since I made the prototype back in February. I also install and test every single one I build. It's currently installed on both of my Kempers. It sounds fantastic!

-Les

• Main concern is compliance. How do you get around your local certification for high voltage appliance mods?

As it is not modifying the ICEpower amplifier in anyway other than switching it back to stereo, no compliance is lost. It operates within the OEM spec of the amp. The only actual modification is the drilling of the holes in the chassis.

-Les

• As it is not modifying the ICEpower amplifier in anyway other than switching it back to stereo, no compliance is lost. It operates within the OEM spec of the amp. The only actual modification is the drilling of the holes in the chassis.

-Les

High voltage isn't the only concern here. Putting holes in the unit and adding wires(soldered or not) could alter the compliance of the device in terms of radiation and/or reception of external radiation. In general, mods like this are not valid from a certification point of view. One cannot legally claim that compliance is lost, gained or unchanged. This is not for any individual to claim. By definition. only a licensed certification house can make these types of statements.

Ignoring strict compliance and certification - is it safe? Definitely maybe. Let the buyer/modifier beware. And it seems the OP is making his customers aware. However, the statement by the OP, quoted above re:no compliance is lost, is not accurate and is deceptive at best. The OEM spec of the amp is part of the full certification of the Kemper unit and is not itself what the Kemper certification is based on.

• As far as I am concerned the fact that Kemper did not make the powered version stereo is a mistake, especially since the amp module inside is actually stereo capable, and it is obviously not very hard to do. I take it Kemper do not endorse the mod by British Audio either?

• It should be noted that not only do you void any remaining warranty by applying any type of modification to the specifications of the Profiler but you also lose permission from your local authorities to use it. Any hazard that is caused by a modified Profiler is not covered by any insurance.

I totally agree with the first statement, but I cannot agree with the later part of the statement. In the US, mods are indeed covered by insurance even ones performed by the owner.

I would like some clarification on this. I would not doubt that insurance companies policies are very different outside the US.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.