More realistic gain & eq please (frontpanel knobs)

• This is an experience that everybody complaining about the learning curve on a modeler/profiler should do. Studio 22, Mark II, Mark IV and LS....Mark IV was like the Rubik Cube...

I have a Roadster. Man, that thing is beautiful and as much frustrating. Soooo many options on it and everything feeds off of everything else in it. You get it close to what you want then adjust one knob and start over.

To be fair, it is isn't just Mesa/Boogie. I have a hand built Marsh amp. It has the Overlord mod on the left side. That basically adds a Dumble circuit into it. All 3 knobs on the front for that channel are push pull knobs that affect tone. There are two additional knobs on the back for Overdrive. I can get that thing sounding really good but need to turn it up a bit and I get to start over. You really have to dial it in at the volume you will be using it at because all of the knobs feed off of one another.

• I am in favor of consistency with gain and eq. The high level of detail built into many of the modelers make them more difficult to use IMO. Simple and consistent is my preference.

I have designed and built many tube amps with different topologies. One thing that can make a real amp 'tweaky' is cascaded gain stages. It would be difficult, if not impossible, for the Kemper approach to address cascading in detail anyway. Get a modeler if you want to go down that rabbit hole.

• In my case I use a lot of clean-ish tones and small, old Fenders. I don't want the Midrange control to do nothing just because the source amp didn't have one. I'm not a traditionalist, just looking for tones.

• what could be great would be to have some pre set eq type templates in the amp block.
    like - original eq - mars eq - etc. Not replicating the complète eq circuit but just mimicking those.

It’s only a matter of frequencies, range and peak after all.

Wish my EQ-Button could be used to switch the EQ or add an basic EQ like the stomp ones. Currently my KPA has an EQ-Button that is really useless and I do not get it why … why not make something useful out of it…

• So suppose we (or at least some of us) would want to make more of different use of the gain and EQ knobs, the question is how. I made a schematic of a profiling process that has been going around in my head for months, wondering if it would be possible to include this in the Kemper. To me it seems like a reasonably straightforward idea, but of course there may be reasons why it wouldn't be doable or why it would not be preferable.

The suggestion is to offer "basic" and "advanced profiling". The basic profiling would be what Kemper currently offers, and the advanced profiling would be based on setting various gain/EQ levels on the original amp and creating a comprehensive profile that takes these various gain and EQ inputs into account. It would perhaps even be possible to create a hybrid advanced profile, where the gain and EQ stages are smartly combined with gain and EQ-features already offered in the current functionality. The schematic is attached as pdf.

Happy to hear your thoughts!

• This is an experience that everybody complaining about the learning curve on a modeler/profiler should do. Studio 22, Mark II, Mark IV and LS....Mark IV was like the Rubik Cube...

I had a MK IIC+ combo with an EV speaker back in the late 80's early 90s. I stumbled upon a tone I could live with and never touched the controls again until I sold it. I bought a new and heavily discounted JP2C head in 2017 simply because it was so marked down I figured I could sell it to get my money back if it didn't sounded as amazing at home as it did in all the YouTube videos. It made me misty eyed for my MK IIC+. Largely collected dust for two years. I traded it for a mint Kemper powered toaster, remote and bag. Best gear deal I ever made in 45 years. Do not miss those Boogies.

As far as Rhett is concerned, he's complaining that the device won't do what the device was not intended to do. I've seen a fair amount of his content. You have to wonder sometimes "Is Rhett Still Worth It In 2022?". I used to watch a lot of these YouTube presenter videos until I realized that most of them are just shills for the manufacturers and honestly none of these guys would be on anyone's radar if it were not for YouTube. It's hard to find a video from any of them of a new product they don't like. In this case, Rhett is not and has never been a Kemper guy. Life goes on.

• So suppose we (or at least some of us) would want to make more of different use of the gain and EQ knobs, the question is how. I made a schematic of a profiling process that has been going around in my head for months, wondering if it would be possible to include this in the Kemper. To me it seems like a reasonably straightforward idea, but of course there may be reasons why it wouldn't be doable or why it would not be preferable.

The suggestion is to offer "basic" and "advanced profiling". The basic profiling would be what Kemper currently offers, and the advanced profiling would be based on setting various gain/EQ levels on the original amp and creating a comprehensive profile that takes these various gain and EQ inputs into account. It would perhaps even be possible to create a hybrid advanced profile, where the gain and EQ stages are smartly combined with gain and EQ-features already offered in the current functionality. The schematic is attached as pdf.

Happy to hear your thoughts!

A) you wouldn’t need to profile the gain at various points. Just profile at max gain. The Kemper gathers enough information to produce realistic results when reducing gain.

B) It’s more complex than that as the B/M/T controls are highly interactive. Changing Bass also affect Mid and Treble. Changing Treble also affects Bass and Mid etc etc etc. There are almost infinite combinations.