Is it possible to hire someone to custom build exact tones / profiles needed?

• Hi there,

Not sure if this is in the right category, but are there people out there who one could hire to build profiles with FX (or tweek ones that are close) to try to match the tones to lets say an album? Someone who is a kemper expert for hire so to speak to recreate them?

Not sure if I will truly need this, but I figure I would see if there is a resource like this out there.

I just bought my first KEMPER and I'm having a little trouble being able to authentically re-create the tones from my last modeler/the album with the kemper. I can get great tones from here on out, but re-creating has been difficult.

Thanks!

• Good question.

Have you looked at the Kemper Tribute packs. They are in Rig Manager. Wont be full songs just generic tones that T.Dill demos to sound like an artist. Search the YouTube videos for the demos or look on this website.

Could look at Live Play Rock as well for some artist presets. I have never used them so I cant vouch for quality.

You are describing my dream job. But my ears are trash, so I would be terrible at it ;(

• One thing I've found is, there are so many variables that unless someone does it in person it wouldn't work.

There are already profiles based around artists and yet they often don't seem to sound the same.

Because its digital, the KPA takes some variable away but other variables exist e.g. monitoring, guitar, technique etc.

There is a company that does song based profiles. However, I'd love more classic sounds commercially available :)

• Are you wanting to do this for an album of yours? Or one that was released by another artist that may have had hit songs on it?

If it is the first one, if you have the amp that was used, you can profile it then work with the effects from there. If it is the second one, a good place to start is to look for profiles created by the big name profilers that use the same amp that was used on the album. I have seen quite a few people creating tones for famous songs. The best place to start is researching the equipment that was actually used for the recording.

One thing to consider though...depending on what you are playing through or into the tone will sound different in different playback scenarios. Playing live at a higher volume will sound much different than playing into an interface for a recording. It may also sound different depending on the monitors you have vs the ones someone else has.

• Guitar, pickups, pick, technique...all makes a huge difference, and you always need to make specific adjustments to accommodate for it.

The only way it would work, would be to have the person setting the KPA while you're playing...

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• I think the history of ‘celebrity made’ presets demonstrates the difficulty with doing this.

As Kellerblues points out, there are so many variables involved that have nothing to do with the amp/effect sounding the way it does. It’s frequently useless .

I’ve tried presets that were purported to be near-exact re-creations of an effect. I never found one I considered even close. With *their* gear? It probably does….but not with mine.

With few exceptions (Eric Johnson being one), a player’s live sound is….kinda-sorta-not-really like their recorded sound.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited once, last by Ruefus ().

• I'm for hire! I will build you custom profiles. Depending on what you want it can get very expensive. Example: If you want a 59 Plexi profile then that will cost you several thousand dollars for me to get the amp unless I can rent one a little cheaper And then I charge a $100 mic setup fee and $200/hr to profile, but you don't have to pay for delivery of the profile since I give you a free download. :P

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• One other point which I found interesting is context...I bought an Ozzy pack, listened to the sounds, particularly the Randy Rhoads sounds and hated it...sounded nothing like it to my ears....until I really listened to the Ozzy tracks and played over the backing tracks and boom, there it is.

In other words, worked perfectly in the mix..

• One other point which I found interesting is context...I bought an Ozzy pack, listened to the sounds, particularly the Randy Rhoads sounds and hated it...sounded nothing like it to my ears....until I really listened to the Ozzy tracks and played over the backing tracks and boom, there it is.

I found Hendrix like that. I heard an iso track of his guitar and thought is was a bad cover tone of someone else playing only to find out it was him. It was totally awful outside the mix. LOL.

There are some isolated guitar tracks of Randy on YouTube and they sound like shit on their own. They sound epic in the mix with the band though.

• Are you wanting to do this for an album of yours? Or one that was released by another artist that may have had hit songs on it?

If it is the first one, if you have the amp that was used, you can profile it then work with the effects from there. If it is the second one, a good place to start is to look for profiles created by the big name profilers that use the same amp that was used on the album. I have seen quite a few people creating tones for famous songs. The best place to start is researching the equipment that was actually used for the recording.

One thing to consider though...depending on what you are playing through or into the tone will sound different in different playback scenarios. Playing live at a higher volume will sound much different than playing into an interface for a recording. It may also sound different depending on the monitors you have vs the ones someone else has.

Thanks for the response! I was hired to play with an act and I m trying to recreate 3 specific tones with FX from their album. I am playing a powered Kemper through a guitar cab and Going out stereo to front of house.

I dont believe I have access to the guitarists amp used on the record. '

Thanks that was really helpful.

• I'm for hire! I will build you custom profiles. Depending on what you want it can get very expensive. Example: If you want a 59 Plexi profile then that will cost you several thousand dollars for me to get the amp unless I can rent one a little cheaper And then I charge a $100 mic setup fee and $200/hr to profile, but you don't have to pay for delivery of the profile since I give you a free download. :P

Ok, very cool to know. The tones are not very complex. I'm not sure what the original amps were, but I dont believe they were boutique or anything. The band are friends of mine that I was hired to play for and just trying to re-create a few tones from their album. Great to know you offer this !

• Thanks for the response! I was hired to play with an act and I m trying to recreate 3 specific tones with FX from their album. I am playing a powered Kemper through a guitar cab and Going out stereo to front of house.

I dont believe I have access to the guitarists amp used on the record. '

Thanks that was really helpful.

I suspect that the key part of the tone will be the FX. If you get the amp somewhere in the ballpark that will generally be plenty good enough as long as the FX are right.

Maybe if you could post examples of the sounds someone on here could help you create them yourself. If you have the isolated tracks even better.

• All of the above is sage advice. I think that as long as your overall tone is close, effects like delay etc are authentic and faithful to the essence of the record, it’s your playing attitude, delivery and style that will either carry or crush your performances. I suspect (as it is a friend you are playing for) you will be all over the parts and do a great job of that. Furthermore the sound engineer will probably eq you, messing with your sound anyway. Tone is only a tenth of the deal when convincing a crowd. It’s the icing rather than the cake.
    Having said that, cake sounds rather good to me. Lemon drizzle or triple chocolate…. Decisions decisions…

Good luck on your quest!

Cheers

Pre-Amp

• Ok, very cool to know. The tones are not very complex. I'm not sure what the original amps were, but I dont believe they were boutique or anything. The band are friends of mine that I was hired to play for and just trying to re-create a few tones from their album. Great to know you offer this !

My post was made in jest. Whenever I make a profile, I plan to give them freely away.