Looking for a simulation of a bass guitar profile

• I currently do not own a bass guitar so have been trying to create one using the transpose and compression and eq effects. It does an “ok” job but wondered if anyone here has had success and willing to share their tips

Thanks in advance

Dan

• ToonTrack EZ Bass works for me. I play bass parts using my Strat, link it to the EZ Bass track, via a plugin that comes as part of the EZ bass package, then hit the play button. It converts your guitar part to midi, so you can edit it and apply whatever bass model the you want from the list. It's REALLY convincing. Yes, I'd love a decent bass and all that goes with it, but, depending on your needs, I find this a quick, more wallet friendly solution.

I think you can download a fully functioning, time limited demo.

https://www.toontrack.com/product/ezbass/

"It were in tune when I bought it."

• Chromatic Pitch in Slot A
    Voice 1 Pitch -12 (obviously)
    Voice Balance -50%

completely wet signal

use the Formant Shift Soft Button and control to adjust the tone

have one of our many bass Profiles loaded in the STACK section

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Get a real bass. Even a cheap one is better than nothing.

I did exactly that a few months ago. I picked up a cheap Squire Precision Bass from Sweetwater. Kemper makes it easily sound like a $1000 bass. If I could play better, Kemper could make me sound like Geddy Lee. :)

The problem with string instrument plugins is that it takes you 10-20x longer to make a track then just picking up a guitar and play the thing.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• a great 'cheat' for bass playing guitar players is the Wedgie Rubber Pick https://www.wedgiemusic.com/co…ubber-5-0mm-medium-3-pack
    I gives you the picking control you're used to, while sounding like a finger/thumb.
    It has a bit more friction than you will be used to, so it is a little harder to play until you get used to it.

I played bass in a few projects and this pick really made it so much easier...
    The rubber will actually even out your attacks a bit, so it's almost like a built-in, super-soft sounding compressor.

Highly recommended.

• I did exactly that a few months ago. I picked up a cheap Squire Precision Bass from Sweetwater. Kemper makes it easily sound like a $1000 bass. If I could play better, Kemper could make me sound like Geddy Lee. :)

I just picked up a Squire 60's Jazz direct from Fender last week for $239. Sound is perfect (also a Geddy fan). My other favorite bass is an Ibanez, GSR200 also around the $200 mark. Last week the short scales (GSR20) were on sale for $139 at Adorama I think.

I have heard Fender was laying people off after the bug surge of people buying guitars over covid so they have too many guitars. Now is the time to catch a sale. Dont pay full price because they are all bloated.

• I just picked up a Squire 60's Jazz direct from Fender last week for $239. Sound is perfect (also a Geddy fan). My other favorite bass is an Ibanez, GSR200 also around the $200 mark. Last week the short scales (GSR20) were on sale for $139 at Adorama I think.

I have heard Fender was laying people off after the bug surge of people buying guitars over covid so they have too many guitars. Now is the time to catch a sale. Dont pay full price because they are all bloated.

This high inflation is going to cause a lots of items to drop in price eventually but maybe not for another 12 months.

For just using in the studio, the Squier basses are perfect.

• Not to take this post off track (apologies' if I do)

I have a Fender Jaguar bass, quite nice but I really struggle to get a consistent tone from it,
    By consistent I mean resonant frequencies just pop up all over the place, so much so that I will record a phrase then
    changer Kemper patch (same profile but different eq, dipping out the offending frequencies)
    The bass has had a set up and my room is treated pretty well.
    I've used all kinds off profiles and quite often DI, different picks, thumb, finger etc.

I usually get what I want in the end but it's a right pain and kills creativity.
    Any advice or workarounds please?

• Most of the time the problem is with the nut. The most overlooked part when bassists, guitarists guesses and not a warped neck, fret wear or the bridge. :rolleyes:

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I only play bass when I am ready to finish a mix, so I have very limited skills with them. I always use a pick and a lot of compression with the bass. I've done my own setup with it, and the tone is always consistent from one day to the next. The included Kemper bass profiles are more than adequate for mixing.

You may want to check the pickups with a meter to make sure one is not going bad. Bring it to a shop and let a good bass player play it and see what he thinks.

• Thanks chaps.
    Is there any way I can check for these issues myself?

I normally get my guitars set up locally but I do tweak them occasionally so I can do a certain amount if the checks are simple,
    I'm just not that knowledgeable about basses though.

• Thank you! Never heard of these picks and after reading the link looks very interesting, not only for Bass but Guitar as well.

• Thanks chaps.
    Is there any way I can check for these issues myself?

I normally get my guitars set up locally but I do tweak them occasionally so I can do a certain amount if the checks are simple,
    I'm just not that knowledgeable about basses though.

I have video to start when he shows how to test pickups without removing them. Test with volume and tone all the way up. You can find out what the ohm rating is from the manufacturer or online search. You can unscrew the input jack out to make sure there are no issues there.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by BayouTexan ().

• Thanks BT, I'll have a look at that.
    I should have mentioned, I try and play most basslines on the same string (A) for consistency and there is still quite a frequency poke on different notes. Obviously, frequencies change with notes but these seem to be too different, i.e. resonances.

Also should say that I have a rattle on the open A string that I fixed with a bit of paper at the nut.
    Does that suggest the truss needs tightening?

• As GearJocke suggest, you should not be playing with paper over your nut unless you are dating a nun. Get a guitar shop to put in a new one and have them slot it correctly.