Transpose with harmony??

• I'am rehearsing a guitar solo but two steps lower than original down. So I use the rig button for transpose to -2. But through my headphones as wel as through my speakers I hear a harmony of tones and this not what I want. How to get a clear tone with transpose?

• Couple of things to be aware of/check:

1) 90% of the sound side is still being able to hear the acoustic sound of your guitar. This is very common and possibly catching you out EVEN with headphones on. Just make sure you are loud enough to drown out your original guitar

2) Transpose is not perfect. You will always get some artifacts and latency. This is the same for any transpose effects/pedals

• OK, Thanks. I indeed am rehearsing with earphones and sometimes with my speakers at home. But for my family I want to keep everything on low volume. So harmony at low volume is normal...

• OK, Thanks. I indeed am rehearsing with earphones and sometimes with my speakers at home. But for my family I want to keep everything on low volume. So harmony at low volume is normal...

Yes, you are hearing your guitar acoustically and creating the harmony/dissonace I suspect. Its suprising how much the acoustic strings cut through!

• There are also tactile problems with transpose. The guitar is vibrating at the a different frequency than the transposition. This is an issue for me. I can feel the dissonance between the two and it is not natural. So, it is not only a hearing problem from my POV

• My advice is to monitor through in ear headphones. Make sure that they seal your ear canal while playing using transpose. The tonal clash otherwise is just headache inducing. Even with in-ears you can still make out the actual guitar tuning if you monitor quietly.
    Good luck though, it’s a really useful tool once you get around this issue.

Cheers

Pre-Amp

• As others have said, it sounds like you are simply hearing the acoustic sound of the guitar along with the transposed rig. This is a problem of physics which even the Kemper can solve. You need to be loud enough to drown out the acoustic guitar sound. Sealed headphones or IEM definitely help but be aware that if any part of the guitar is accidentally touching the headphone cable the sound with travel up the cable and you will still hear it. Do you remember the old plastic cup and string “telephone” from childhood? The same thing can happen with headphone cables even when the volume is blasting.

I find the best way to practice with tracks in a different key is to transpose the track rather than the guitar. I use Transpose! seventhstring.com which is relatively cheap and the single best practice/transcription tool I have ever bought.

• ...I find the best way to practice with tracks in a different key is to transpose the track rather than the guitar. I use Transpose! seventhstring.com which is relatively cheap and the single best practice/transcription tool I have ever bought.

I agree. VLC is free and can transpose the track. To be honest, I normally just retune. Takes a few seconds on a fixed tail piece guitar. A bit more on a floating trem system. I keep a wedge on my desk for that.

• For transposing songs (not the kemper itself)I often use a browser plug-in. several good ones available out there for free. That way if you’re on any site you’re streaming from you can transpose the audio coming out on the fly from the site without having to download the song and import into other software.

• I agree. VLC is free and can transpose the track. To be honest, I normally just retune. Takes a few seconds on a fixed tail piece guitar. A bit more on a floating trem system. I keep a wedge on my desk for that.

[tt]

Yes, you're right. I use it often for rehearsing when a song must be sung higher or lower