Need your advice on a new set of mix tools on my latest track

• Hi folks !

I'm trying new mix tools, let me know your thoughts on my latest grungy track. My vocals ( leads & back vox ) stand out more , but I'm not sure about the rest.

Basses, guitars and even vocals made with the KPA.

Guitar rig is " Mister May" by Jen still so awesome after all these years

https://audius.co/chillfrogz/insurrection

• To me the sound is well balanced, it sounds really good. I also like your vocals being more just natural, you sound more relaxed, no affectation just raw and the result is really polished and good on your voice. In terms of mix feedback to me here could be a touch less reverb on the vocals. I’d reduce the effects on the rhythm guitar and go for a slightly less compressed profile and instead add the chorus like sound via a synth if necessary. The overall impression is that you’re covering up what doesn’t need to be covered up on both the vocals and guitars, allow it all to be a little more dry.

I really liked this one where it is, it feels summer-ish and soulful and has great hooks, but just in case, if you wanted to go for a more modern mix and arrangement then raise the drums a little more and adjust the guitar phrasing to be more staccato and drop out completely behind the vocals, i.e. just play the chord change, then possibly increase the compression and treble on the vocals to make them sound close mic’d. Add a drop where there’s no backing at all and the vocal carry’s over for a bar before the chorus and only there have full guitar backing but add a higher jangly part as well.

• VERY quick notes - haven't listened too intently, so these are my very immediate thoughts.

Agree with Per :) I'd also add some more room sound (compressed) to the drums and raise them a bit.

I'll add that the guitars seem a bit narrow to me, which may be panning or may be similarity of tone+playing.

Playing/arrangement-wise, I'd allow the guitar to "live" a bit more, i.e. lesser amount of strums (letting it ring a bit more, taking the back seat to the vocals in that sense). They can be more busy when the vocals are not there, but when both vocals and guitars are there it takes a bit away from the song (both things are trying to get my attention, as opposed to serving the song the same way, making it clear where to listen). Same can be said for the bass to an extent.

Cool song, don't take my input at criticism - and thanks for sharing :)

• excellent advice from you , I really appreciate your insights.

I agree with drums, they need to be more prominent and in the room/ compression.

The vocals were hard to mix , you couldn't understand the text before a switched to a preset that made all words understandable ( with the help of an exciter ) . I'll reduce the verb as the preset was way too huge on time & verb mix .

The Rh. guitar : it's just a simple stereo take with the double tracker panned hard L/R , detune engaged for chorus. I'll try to let it ring a bit more and without staccato , maybe enhance the chorus vs the verse, in a typical grunge style.

Mister may is a terrific rig and super rich in harmonics , it can fill a whole range of frequency , I played the E/A strings parts of my chords while letting some open strings ring a bit , maybe with too much delay and verb. I don't find it narrow myself on my monitors , quite the opposite TBH.

I'll test all your suggestions , you're welcome guys !

• Very nice! 8) I would nit-pick on the bass and add more compression. The lows are just a tad strong. I would also try a tape drive either over all tracks or the brighter tracks to try to add warmth and remove the tight processing that digital seems to do. It feel that digital mixing keeps a lot of rawness, and warming that rawness up is the key. But I am just a noob with opinions and you asked. :)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• The lows are just a tad strong. I would also try a tape drive either over all tracks

Thx BT, I used lots of compression on my bass , but I like a deep bass on my mixes, most of my basses were made using the latests DI profile from the Dean pack, great pro stuff.

Tape drive , also , I'm addicted to the one from arturia , yeah mandatory on all my guitar takes now :)

I think your balance is great and your vocals are better than ever

Thx Mud , my voice is still recovering from covid, I'll go back to my singing class soon, but I'm afraid the new mix tool has a lot to do with the improvement ;)

• The Rh. guitar : it's just a simple stereo take with the double tracker panned hard L/R ,

That's probably what I'm hearing if I understand you correctly; a "sameness" due to it being the same performance.

Double tracking the stuff would help in that regard.

You can go two ways with that (at least!); either play them as tightly and as "equal to each other" as possible, or try to approach it like you were two different guitarists with two different approaches to what to play (with the two guitars complimenting each other of course). For something like this I would probably go the second route, personally. There's room in the arrangement for some amount of variance, especially if you dial back on the "busy-ness" of the rhythm guitar part(s). One could guitar could be very laid back, with the other being slightly busier. One could play full chords and the other one power chords. One could play the chords higher on the neck or on the higher strings, the other one lower string/on the neck. Etc etc etc :)

For tones, you could use different profiles from left to right (listen to what your favourite profile offers, and go slightly in the other direction for the second choice - i.e. balance of bass, mid, treble, gain etc. Consider what each guitar is playing (if you do as I suggest above), and select the best match based on that.

If you're married to using just the one profile, you can still switch things up a bit by how you strum the strings, or even just a different pick thickness/material. Again, consider which tone best fits what the guitar is playing.

You could also see if changing cab on one of the sides still gives you something you like - then you'd have the same amp, but different cab/mic position.

• Great advice Michael, most of the time I make natural double tracking, but I fount that the double tracker with detune fx engaged sounds very large & full on cleans and is very convenient , it will also get rid of phasing issue . This dimension D style chorus is really something I like.

I'll always double track the dist rhythm parts especially PM and power chords using the processes you describe, you're right , it's great to mimic 2 diff guitarists & tones. I love natural double tracking , it's something the KPA doubler will not replace for me , at least on heavy stuff.