My 1 month KEMPER review!

• - WARNING LONG POST -

FULL DISCLOSURE - The AxeFXII is mentioned and I am in no way slamming it. Since I have both the AxeFxII and the KPA I am merely stating my personal opinions comparing both units and whats best for me. Others may totally disagree with me and thats cool, this is just what I think based on my side by side experience playing both units.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been playing my Kemper for about a month now and I wanted to give my review for any people who are interested. -

I sold my Axe Fx ultra a couple years ago when I heard the Axe FxII was going to be released. I ended up getting on the waiting list for a good 6 months! The wait nearly killed me but I really wanted the AxeFxII. During this time I started hearing about the Kemper and I was intrigued. The more and more I heard of the KPA the more impressed I got but for me it was all about the AxeII! There was no doubt in my mind that is what I wanted and what I was going to get it. As the months waned on I impatiently waited for my name to come up on the Axe waiting list. Finally my name came up for the Axe but I was out of money! It took me a couple months before I had enough and when I did I finally got my AxeFxII! I loved it! I couldn't believe I finally had an AxeFxII! Yeah! Best piece of gear I ever bought! Until.........

I kept hearing about how the KPA had such great tone and I started listening to these awesome Kemper clips on youtube to see what it sounded like. The more I listened the more I got interested in trying one out for myself. I ended up ordering one to see how it stacked up to my AxeFxII. I figured I have 30 days to try it out and see what I think. I plugged in and turned it on. My first impression was way beyond my expectations. It sounded so good! That tone I have been seeking in my AxeII but so far eluding me was there right off the bat! I played through every profile it shipped with and there were so many stellar profiles it was hard to choose favorites. It was new so maybe I was just very excited and I was overstating how good it really was? I needed to cool off and take my time with it. I played and played and didnt want to ever stop. I kept playing my AxeII as well and decided to keep my Axe because I really liked the effects. Best of both worlds I figured.

As the weeks went by I learned the good and the bad of the KPA and just the other day I expierienced a glitch when I turned on the KPA and all the profiles were low volume and clean. I turned it off and back on and that went away. I figured maybe I need to upgrade the firmware and maybe that glitch wont happen again. One of my biggest gripes is the lack of a library! KPA NEEDS a library! I pray that they will be making one. Every other competing unit on the market has one and KPA needs it more than any of them. The amount of quality profiles you can amass begs for an organized library of sorts. I am confident one will eventually be made and then for me the KPA will be near perfect!

I intended to keep my AxeII. The other day I decided to spend some more time on the Axe. I upgraded to the 7.0 firmware. Sounds good but I found myself searching for an awesome preset, something on an equal level with what I was getting out of my KPA. Seeking....and seeking.......and seeking. :) I got frustrated. I have been spoiled by the TONE of the KPA! I could not find any preset in my Axe that made me get the same feeling of 'Tone' awesomeness that I was getting from the Kemper so I plugged back into my KPA. I scrolled freely to an unknown profile and hit a chord. BLAMO!!!!!!! I was hit between the ears with one hell of an awesome hi gain tone! I smiled and right there I said why am I holding onto the AxeFxII? I really have no reason to. I thought I wanted to keep it for the effects but for me it just doesnt match the tones of the KPA. Tone is the most important quality I am looking for and I get that a hundred fold with the KPA. The Axe is still amazing for what it does and it does alot of great stuff and the effects are amazing but for me personally its tonal realism while good just doesnt do it for me like the KPA does. With that said I have decided I no longer need it and I am going to sell it. I know someone else will appreciate and enjoy it much more than I will.

I am now a 100% Kemper user and I couldnt be happier. The KPA is hands down the best piece of music gear I have ever purchased and it keeps getting better!

Now for my good and bad list

THE GOOD -

- TONE - The KPA is a tone monster. What I primarily want is great tone and thats what I get with the KPA. I have never found another similar unit that can deliver tone like the KPA can. Its what you expect when you plug into a real amp. Its an in your face sound, full, rich, powerful and dynamic. Just what I want to hear when I play. If your primary focus is on tone do yourself a favor and try the KPA out.

- PROFILES - There is a huge library of profiles to choose from. Pretty much every major amp you can think of and you can find an rig for pretty much any style you play. I mostly play metal and the hi gain amps you will find on the KPA are to die for! If you like hi gain, check out the 82 profiles from 'Juanma Blanco' in the Rig exchange. Some of the best out there! Getting new profiles is almost like getting a new amp! You can even change cabs around if you like for lots more tonal variation! For killer cabs check out 'Tills' cabs!

- PLAYABILITY - I plugged right into the KPA and was playing right away. The controls on the unit feel like a real amp and its instant live action and alot of fun! Scrolling through profiles is very fast and simple with the turn of the dial. Plug in headphones or monitors and your good to go! With digital S/PIDF, hook into your AI and record your playing! Couldnt be easier. I also love the dedicated 'gate' knob. It really cleans up some tones if they need it.

- UPDATES - When you get a KPA you are purchasing a unit thats in constant evolution. Its always getting improvements and new additions of amps and effects, etc!

- KPA Rig Exchange - Currently you can choose 1,767 different rig profiles to put in your KPA for free! So many great rigs to choose from! And more are being added almost everyday. I've got about a 1000 profiles in my KPA and so many are great! There are some not so good though so I need to do a bit of housecleaning soon.

THE BAD - (Not too many bad)

- LACK OF LIBRARIAN - The KPA desperately needs a software librarian so you can get on your computer see all your rigs, organize them into groups such as clean, hi-gain, blues, bands, effects etc. Also it needs a better way so you can delete alot of profiles in bulk that you no longer want. The lack of an editor is my main gripe.

- EFFECTS - I want more effects in the KPA. It has your basics covered but I'd like a more extensive collection of them.

In closing my Kemper is here to stay. I originally got it to test out and I didnt expect it to be as incredible as it was. It blew my mind and in the 'Tone' department it exceeded all my expectations. Everytime I play it It impresses me more and more and It really is infectious. Once you start playing you dont want to quit! I'm completely satisfied with it and I look forward to experiencing its continued evolution! Its only going to continue getting better from here on out.

• Great read, Im Glad its working out for you.
    Im with you on hoping for more fx for the kemper, especially pitch/whammy/harmoniser and a looper.
    A librarian would also be great although the new favourites and my rigs bookmarks are a big help.

• I played and played and didnt want to ever stop.

... same here! Have it for a week now and played live last Saturday ... impressive feeling.
    Never got this from my POD.
    Yesterday I tried (under earphones) some new loaded profiles (I can recommend packs from ampfactory - espacially try the "Reinhardt Storm Amp" Rigs !!) and my wife heared "unbelievable" and "crazy" from me from time to time but with the next rig it was getting even better and better with the next and ..... :D
    Think this is the end of searching for an amp modeller ...
    :thumbup:

• Ive had my Kemper for about a month too, love the tones out of it - AFD100 profile is one of my favorites using the Sigi CAB - when AXE2 v7 came out with an AFD100 model i was excited to check it out.. went back to the AXE2 when v7 came out, created a simple patch with the AFD100 was imediately impressed with the tones vs what i was getting on v6 for Slash and other similar types of Marshall tone.. started tweaking this to improve that, started tweaking that to improve this and so on, then stopped, as i realised i was going right down the rabbit hole again.. turned on the kemper, put on my AFD100 profile and straight away i was 'there it is' - realised i was spending time tweaking my AXE patch to sound as good as the Kemper, (I) couldnt get there, back on the Kemper now - above is not a reflection on AXE potential, more a statement of my inability to use it to that potentialy - but then, F it - i just turn on my Kemper and its there so for me, think the Kemper suites me better. haven't decided whether to sell the AXE or not yet, still to early to determine that.. but really enjoying the Kemper experience so far

• Well i hadnt seen a good Kemper vs Axe thread in a couple of days so seemed about right time get at it again :D V7 Axe is in my opinion the biggest improvement via firmware there has been, and ive had Fractal since Standard v4. something or other.. its a really (REALLY) good bit of kit.. im at most a hobbyist with a day job that keeps me far too busy, so for me, for the relatively small amount of time i get to spend pretending ill someday be a guitaris :thumbup: Kemper fits the bill...

• 100% agree - I miss the crystals effects from the AxeFx - as well as nice spring reverbs and pitch effects.

Tone AxeFx vs KPA - can't be compared :D

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Wow, so many!

As being mostly a Metal player , I love most everything done by Juanma Blanco, think thats the name. His profiles were some of my first ones besides the factory installed rigs that really blew me away.The Engls are killer! I am trying to slim down my profiles as I now have over 700 and there are so many good ones that I am having trouble picking out favorites! I also love lots of great clean tones and man those are there in droves on the KPA! The KPA is truly the best guitar amp I have ever bought. My AxeFXII has been gone for a week now and I dont miss it one bit!

Speaking of great profiles, last night I listened to And44's profiles that are available for purchase and they sound awesome! I plan on getting some of those. I'm hoping he profiles some more Hi-gain amps, hint hint. ;)