Guitar wireless system for Kemper Stage

• I'm using these cheap-a$$ Lekato WS-50's from aliexpress ... never let me down 1sec ... USB charging plug & play ... no need for a powersupply

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• I was using a line 6 g20 but it crapped out on me. I’m now using some inexpensive Ammoon from Amazon that run about 50 bucks and transmit on 5.8 GHz. I’ve compared the sound quality with a guitar cable and it is very close. They are cheapie plug-in play things but I’m really impressed how well they work and how inexpensive they are. Played the last 15 gigs with them without a glitch.

• I was using a line 6 g20 but it crapped out on me. I’m now using some inexpensive Ammoon from Amazon that run about 50 bucks and transmit on 5.8 GHz. I’ve compared the sound quality with a guitar cable and it is very close. They are cheapie plug-in play things but I’m really impressed how well they work and how inexpensive they are. Played the last 15 gigs with them without a glitch.

I've been considering getting a wireless system of some sort for a while.

Trying to wrap my head around a $50 'no-name' system competing with something 5 or 10 times the cost drives me nuts.

I keep thinking "I've spent how much money on guitars, the Profiler etc. I own *cables* that cost nearly as much. Am I just being cheap....or are these worth it?"

Free digital amps (Neural Amp Modeler), $50 digital wireless, stainless frets on sub-$1,000 guitars.

Strange time in the gear world.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Even the expensive systems are not faultless so it makes the challenge even harder. This is also the same with IEM systems - compare LD systems to Sennheiser and the cost difference is significant.

For wireless I went Sennheiser purely because I wanted the bug type and digital. I was close to going for the Xvive because they are a 3rd of the price but the Sennheiser had more range and more channels - but I suspect the Xvive would have been good enough...

I would recommend going wireless though, I can't imagine being tied to a wire anymore. The considerations are batteries vs rechargeable, bug vs belt pack etc. which then at least limit the choice a bit.

If I hadn't gone for the Sennheiser, I would have gone Boss WL-50..

• PSA on wireless guitar systems: Some aren't compatible with active pickups.

The Lekato is one of those. I've got a guitar with Fishman Fluence pups, so its a concern for me.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• The Shure systems, both 1/2 rack and pedal, are my favorites just for the "no AA needed" format. The 1/2 rack version of the GLX16 even has a slot to put a battery in and charge it, right on the front. So I bought a 2nd and simply keep one charging always. It's really a great way to do that. Even using rechargeable AA batteries is less fun for me. Not to mention the insane battery life of the Shure transmitter. 10+ hours easily on a charge.

• I’ve been using a Shure GLXD4 wireless system for some years, gigging with a couple of Strats fitted with EMG SA active pickups, and an SG.

This system works perfectly with everything, including my Kemper Stage.

It also works perfectly with a couple of acoustics, one with a Lloyd Baggs pickup, the other with a Headway pickup, both under saddle powered piezo type.

Some of the guys in the bands I play with have tried using various different cheaper wireless options, but experienced problems with drop-outs and noise pickup, plus battery life issues.
    Some products just refuse to work with active pickups.

I’ve had absolutely none of this with the Shure system.
    The rechargeable battery from the body pack fits into the receiver for charging and it lasts for 16 hours. There is a current charge display on the receiver so you always know where you are working.

I’m dreading it breaking down, I don’t know what I could replace it with that comes close. 😐

• The Shure systems, both 1/2 rack and pedal, are my favorites just for the "no AA needed" format. The 1/2 rack version of the GLX16 even has a slot to put a battery in and charge it, right on the front. So I bought a 2nd and simply keep one charging always. It's really a great way to do that. Even using rechargeable AA batteries is less fun for me. Not to mention the insane battery life of the Shure transmitter. 10+ hours easily on a charge.

Funnily enough, I'm starting to think the other way....

As an example, I just bought the Sennheiser XSD - XLR solution for connecting a mike ( I have the same solution for my guitar wireless). I went that direction rather than the Boss because its rechargeable and don't rely on AA's....but....if I forget to recharge I'm stuffed. You have no option but to have a backup etc. Luckily I had a slight fault with the original and I was sent a replacement, so I use the old one as an emergency backup. Otherwise I'd have had to have spent a load more money on a backup..

At least with those driven by AA's, you can instantly swap out....To me AA's become viable because I use the Li-Ion rechargeables which hold their voltage and last much longer than Ni Cad's...so Im sort of coming back round to AA's...

• Do you feel any latency?

2 ms EW-DP + 4ms Bose + 3 ms Kemper

We use a digital mixer wirh additional 1,5 ms so I would have more than 10ms..

• i use lekato ws50, with 2 e-guitars packed with piezo System, works well. But the ws80 doesn't work flawless

Cry Baby Slash Classic Wah -> KPA -> main to FOH ->KRK6 -> Monitor out DXR10 -> EXP DVP3 -> Remote: Guitars: Slash Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop - James Tyler Variax JTV59 - Epiphone Les Paul with EMG 81 - Furch GN2 Nylon -> Maybach Lester 60 -> Kemper Powered Cab -/ Focusrite Scarlett

• Funnily enough, I'm starting to think the other way....

As an example, I just bought the Sennheiser XSD - XLR solution for connecting a mike ( I have the same solution for my guitar wireless). I went that direction rather than the Boss because its rechargeable and don't rely on AA's....but....if I forget to recharge I'm stuffed. You have no option but to have a backup etc. Luckily I had a slight fault with the original and I was sent a replacement, so I use the old one as an emergency backup. Otherwise I'd have had to have spent a load more money on a backup..

At least with those driven by AA's, you can instantly swap out....To me AA's become viable because I use the Li-Ion rechargeables which hold their voltage and last much longer than Ni Cad's...so Im sort of coming back round to AA's...

..and it happened for the first time at rehearsal...I was playing away and started to get some crackling....thought I'd blown my Kone, then noticed my wireless was showing almost flat. No problem, swapped over to my backup....few minutes later, that is also flat.

My original did not got enough charge in the interim, so....I'm dead in the water. Thankfully the other guitarist had a lead so I had to go "analogue"....

• Do you feel any latency?

2 ms EW-DP + 4ms Bose + 3 ms Kemper

We use a digital mixer with an additional 1,5 ms, so I would have more than 10 ms.

No, I don't feel any latency.
    EW-DP at 1.9 ms, the performance is right up there with the best. And in the context of the rest of your signal chain, 1.9 ms is a tiny difference compared to running wired.

10 ms is roughly equivalent to being 10 feet from a sound source (e.g., a speaker cabinet)

• I Just bought an Swiff ws-50, and it adds a lots of noise on my Kemper (Toaster amp version):

If no cable is connected to Kemper it makes noise, If I connect a guitar cable it turns down, but If I connect my new Swiff WS-50 wireless, the noise continues.

Does anybody can explain me this, please? And someone can help me with a hint to reduce/eliminate this noise with the Wireless?

Thank you in advance

Nuno