DI Box for Kemper Stage XLR Out?

• Hey Everyone,

I heard someone recently mention they use a DI box between their Kemper and audio interface. They ran XLR out to the DI box and then 1/4 inch to their audio interface.

Anyone try this? I hadn’t heard of needing one before.

is this even necessary?

• totally unnecessary because the XLR outputs already deliver a balanced line-level signal.

If your interface only supports TS inputs you can go straight from the TS outputs of the Profiler into the TS inputs. If the interface supports TRS inputs use XLR to TRS cables.

• totally unnecessary because the XLR outputs already deliver a balanced line-level signal.

If your interface only supports TS inputs you can go straight from the TS outputs of the Profiler into the TS inputs. If the interface supports TRS inputs use XLR to TRS cables.

Can you run just run XLR from the Kemper Stage to the XLR inputs on the interface? My interface can handle TRS or XLR inputs. But -

After digging into my setup more, my interface manual does say not to use XLR +4, to use 1/4 inch if XLR is +4

• Can you run just run XLR from the Kemper Stage to the XLR inputs on the interface? My interface can handle TRS or XLR inputs. But -

After digging into my setup more, my interface manual does say not to use XLR +4, to use 1/4 inch if XLR is +4

That’s why support mention XLR to TRS cables as an option. In your case these would be the best solution.

• is it recommended (by kemper?) to use a transformer DI box as an isolation-device from phantom power if phantom cant be turned off?

i was led to believe that it is not recommended to apply phantom power to the rack unit as it can lead to unwanted side-effects.

If the phantom can't be disabled you should use the line level inputs on whatever the Kemper is plugged into, not the mic inputs. There should be no device that forces every input to use phantom power, otherwise it's only useful for things like condenser mics.

• If the phantom can't be disabled you should use the line level inputs on whatever the Kemper is plugged into, not the mic inputs. There should be no device that forces every input to use phantom power, otherwise it's only useful for things like condenser mics.

Fair point, but in a live situation where the stage box is all XLR there is a higher risk. Back in the day, the BBC audio systems had phantom on as standard so all gear was treated the same. (quote from ex BBC engineer, Hugh Robjohns, of SOS magazine, if i recall correctly)

The cautionary tale (certainly in commercial and "big-stage" productions) here is that often we are able to be responsible for the device at the other end and can not always guarantee what we are plugging into, especially if another engineer is taking care of cabling-up. and routing. The assumption that no phantom is present, or at least there is a risk it may be unavoidable must therefore be treat with caution if it could have an adverse affect on the gear connecting to it.

i guess the XLR outputs of the Kemper are electronically balanced rather than employing isolating transformers and would therfore have some protection to block DC entering given this is a "pro" bit of gear.

• i guess the XLR outputs of the Kemper are electronically balanced rather than employing isolating transformers and would therfore have some protection to block DC entering given this is a "pro" bit of gear.

I'm also interested in whether the line output drivers are happy to repeatedly take phantom power being applied. Seems fine but I don't want to test the theory more than once. A line isolating transformer rather than step-down D.I. box is what I've used. I recall a gig where an analogue console power supply let go spectacularly mid-soundcheck, taking out some connected monitor wedges and an outboard effects unit. I had an amp miked up then, so a suitable air gap, but it made me keep a Radial Stagebug in my bag for the Kemper since.

Also, have just visited a BBC studio and any stage box inputs around the facility have 48V on as standard. As long as it's not a ribbon mic or an iPhone, it seems the approach is that it needs to be able to take it.

Ed / Audio Systems Engineer / Kemper Stage + Fender fan

• Fair point, but in a live situation where the stage box is all XLR there is a higher risk. Back in the day, the BBC audio systems had phantom on as standard so all gear was treated the same. (quote from ex BBC engineer, Hugh Robjohns, of SOS magazine, if i recall correctly)

The cautionary tale (certainly in commercial and "big-stage" productions) here is that often we are able to be responsible for the device at the other end and can not always guarantee what we are plugging into, especially if another engineer is taking care of cabling-up. and routing. The assumption that no phantom is present, or at least there is a risk it may be unavoidable must therefore be treat with caution if it could have an adverse affect on the gear connecting to it.

i guess the XLR outputs of the Kemper are electronically balanced rather than employing isolating transformers and would therfore have some protection to block DC entering given this is a "pro" bit of gear.

I have heard this before but having gigged on many stages and venues over the last 8 years with my KPA I've NEVER had a phantom power issue. I think its overplayed as an issue or risk.

• Also, have just visited a BBC studio and any stage box inputs around the facility have 48V on as standard. As long as it's not a ribbon mic or an iPhone, it seems the approach is that it needs to be able to take it.

On a similar note, (slightly off topic) i've witnessed phones and other devices being connected to desk inputs whilst on charge destroying the input preamp owing to a high "floating" potential from the feeding switch-mode power-supply (ever got that tingling feeling touching a device whilst holding an earthed device with another part of your body?) What i've learned from this is never connect an un-earthed device to your desk whilst its on charge- you take change especially with more sensitive/digital equipment.

As mentioned by EdwardArnold , an unbalanced cable from a phone or device wired to phantom-powered input could damage that device, DI box will add some protection.