Kemper Desktop Amp

• I've been using my Yamaha THR30II basically everyday for last 18 months. Unfortunately Kemper went to the closet. Really, throughout this time I haven't switched it even once. But I decided to keep it, it served me for 10 years and will for another decades.

What made me play THR everyday? Ease of use and functionality overall.

1) It starts in no time

2) It has builtin speakers and great streaming audio quality

3) It is portable, you can take it with you, because you love guitar you take it with you

4) It has Bluetooth, launch backing track on YouTube on your phone and you're ready to play

5) It has built-in battery, you can move it around, even do small busking

6) It looks beautiful (although beauty is subjective)

7) It has an app to load profiles, edit parameters

Few days ago suddenly I couldn't power it on anymore and sent back to the dealer, so I took Kemper back and played it. Yes, it has better sound quality, what people instantly noticed when I publish me playing guitar. But it is a different beast.

I can see desktop amps market is still growing, BOSS just launched Cube Dual LX. If Kemper would build such amp, I'd buy it. Having THR funcionality and Kempers sound in a box, sounds like what every home musician needs. With THR my playing skyrocketed. Mostly because of ease of use, I play using 1 or two presets. Who knows, maybe ckemper has already something in R&D department, or maybe some working device with v1.01 firmware....

• Each to his own. I don't nothing else than the kemper. I don't move around in the house and play . I don't play guitar in the couch when watching tv when I'm alone(not very often).

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• My Kemper IS a desktop amp already. It sits on my desktop.

IMO, I think people get hooked on the THR for it's "stereo" speakers. Even my Tablet sounds great with Dolby stereo speakers compared to my cell phone speaker. THR is a Toy Home Receiver.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Each to his own. I don't nothing else than the kemper. I don't move around in the house and play . I don't play guitar in the couch when watching tv when I'm alone(not very often).

Sure, your needs may vary. But I know how playing desktop amp, just made me play.

• My Kemper IS a desktop amp already. It sits on my desktop.

IMO, I think people get hooked on the THR for it's "stereo" speakers. Even my Tablet sounds great with Dolby stereo speakers compared to my cell phone speaker. THR is a Toy Home Receiver.

But Kemper has no speakers. Surely Kemper's sound is better compared to THR. But you cannot take Kemper, and play while travelling. You cannot quickly power it on, and play to backing track which wirelessly streams to it. I got hooked to THR, because I played it more for 18 months, than Kemper for 9 years. It does NOT mean in any way, that Kemper is bad, just THR's simplicity and functionality, made me play it over and over. Kemper stays with me. I just wonder, what desktop amp would that be... Kemper DesKemper...

• So, I'll tell you my THR/Kemper story...

The THR10X was my main home practice amp. The Brown II setting was godly. Great 3D sounds, tuner, batteries, portable, etc. Only flaw? It sounded hideous through headphones.

So I go and try the new THR30ii in July 2021 at the local Mom & Pop music store. It sounded good, and there was some definite improvement in some features. Bought it. Then within 2 days, I A/B'ed it with the 10X tones & preferred the 10X. Go back to the store, returned it, feeling defeated...

Then a couple of days later, I go to the big box music store uptown & what is sitting there, used? A Toaster! It was returned after 2 weeks, and it was $800 off the new price. Put some money down on it & then a payment plan for the rest.

Wow.

The Kemper has literally changed my life, my playing & reinvigorated my love for the guitar. Opinions are subjective & I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade - but the Kemper *wipes the floor* with the THR amps. Better/more realistic tones, editing flexability, more outputs, better 'real amp' feel, multiple noise gates, pedals, EQ's & a headphone out that is absolutely god-like.

The tones this amp has under it's hood is incredible! Just my 2 cents & glad you love the Yamaha so much, man!

• But Kemper has no speakers. Surely Kemper's sound is better compared to THR. But you cannot take Kemper, and play while travelling. You cannot quickly power it on, and play to backing track which wirelessly streams to it. I got hooked to THR, because I played it more for 18 months, than Kemper for 9 years. It does NOT mean in any way, that Kemper is bad, just THR's simplicity and functionality, made me play it over and over. Kemper stays with me. I just wonder, what desktop amp would that be... Kemper DesKemper...

My Kemper has 85watt speakers on the desk and 112watt speakers that stand on side of my desk. You could travel easily with the Kemper with a descent pair of headphones and never bother anyone. ;)

If you really want good tone to travel with just get an original Rockman!

• My Kemper has 85watt speakers on the desk and 112watt speakers that stand on side of my desk. You could travel easily with the Kemper with a descent pair of headphones and never bother anyone. ;)

If you really want good tone to travel with just get an original Rockman!

Your Kemper doesn't have any additional speakers, or you have some custom made version 😉 mine is only a preamp, very good one. I'm really sorry, but playing on headphones should be forbidden by law. It's inconvenient and fake. Music needs room. I don't have a problem to bother anyone, in fact people like me play 😉

What Rockman you have in mind?

• Thanks for describing your story FearAbsolute. I also had a chance to compare THR30II to THR10X and Brown II setting was indeed godly. But THR30II received firmware update some time later, with "Open" speaker tuning which made me keep it (without that it was inferior soundwise to older brother).

I agree that headphones output on Kemper is stellar. Didn't care about THR's because I don't use headphones.

I have Kemper since 10 years and have no interest in trying new gear. It's GREAT for what it is. But if I'd see Kemper Desk Amp, I'd shell out my cash.

• Headphones output on Kemper is stellar, bit still I think nothing beats sound in the room

after playing a lot of gigs since may this year I have to disagree - nothing sounds better than a good band with good IEMs and a top notch sound guy
    plus, I can move around and go anywhere on stage while the sound stays exactly the same...
    I can hear everything in glorious stereo :):thumbup:

• Thanks for describing your story FearAbsolute. I also had a chance to compare THR30II to THR10X and Brown II setting was indeed godly. But THR30II received firmware update some time later, with "Open" speaker tuning which made me keep it (without that it was inferior soundwise to older brother).

I agree that headphones output on Kemper is stellar. Didn't care about THR's because I don't use headphones.

I have Kemper since 10 years and have no interest in trying new gear. It's GREAT for what it is. But if I'd see Kemper Desk Amp, I'd shell out my cash.

If Kemper makes a mini version that is similar to the THR, they will dominate the world, lol.

• The total sensory immersion you get with headphones is hard to beat. I think the best listening pleasure anyone can get is good headphones for immersion and then cranked cabs and sub for the inner body feel. That's like musical heaven!

ooh! I'm getting excited! :)

• It's personal taste. Since I have my kemper I only play with headphones or iem. I can't hear anymore the sound of a cab and I don't like playing loud.

If a want to travel in my house with a quick start device, I play acoustic :)

• I'm dont usually do Me-Too posts, but yeah me too. I have an older THR-10X that also gets used everyday. I love that thing.

• after playing a lot of gigs since may this year I have to disagree - nothing sounds better than a good band with good IEMs and a top notch sound guy
    plus, I can move around and go anywhere on stage while the sound stays exactly the same...
    I can hear everything in glorious stereo :):thumbup:

DonPetersen, sure! For live situation IEMs are great solution. But still my post was for us, the bedroom players 🙂

• I don't get why you think the Yamaha is easier, or why you'd accept that level of compromise in your sound. Does the Yamaha PC app have the same level of control?

It starts in no time, it has app for Android, it has speakers, it's portable with built-in battery. It's pretty loud and sounds good for these 4" speakers. Yamaha PC app, does the same as Android app. Controls presets, allows to change amps, cabs, edit effects, etc. Yes, it doesn't sound as good as Kemper, but I played it daily since I bought it. I don't say Kemper is bad in any way. I just request hereby for Kemper Desktop Amp.