Hi, my name is RiotBadger and i'm a valveoholic...

• Or tubeoholic depending on which side of the Atlantic you're on!

After many years of playing valve amps way louder than needed for the application/venue and being told off by every sound engineer in the land for having my backline on more than 1 and a half I've taken the plunge and got a Profiler Stage and have a powered Kabinet on the way.

Up until now I've been a massive contradiction in terms when it comes to technology: Outside of music i've been an early adopter of a lot of digital technologies and I wor in an industry that thrives on networking and technical expertise. Inside music however i've been suspicious about any technology that isn't rooted in stuff designed in the 50s and 60s.

I'm now playing smaller venues with different challenges every night set up wise so i'm hoping the Stage can help me achieve harmony with my bandmates by having the goldilocks level of onstage monitoring and a good in-ear mix without loads of bleed from whatever fire breathing beast i'd chosen to take out that night.

I've not played with the stage very much since getting it and i'm nowhere near comfortable taking it out to a show but i'm hoping when the kabinet arrives i'll have more time to play.

Does anyone have any tips for someone starting from scratch other than RTFM? I am reading it but it feels like a whitepaper rather than a user manual. 8o

• Does anyone have any tips for someone starting from scratch other than RTFM?

Welcome RiotBadger :)
    my tip would be to start with a sound that most guitars players will be familiar with - a glorious, dirty Marshall
    The best rig IMO on the PROFILER for this would be '1971 Mars Golub Crch'
    I'd even get rid of the fx for now tbh.

Activate 'Kemper Kone' in the OUTPUT menu page 8 and see if you like it better with the profiled cab or (by activating 'Monitor Cab Off' on the same page) if you prefer an Imprint. If for exsample you have been playing Celestion V30s for years, selecting this Imprint might make it easier for you to get a good (great) tone quickly.

Don't try to grasp the whole unit all at once, a lot off stuff has been added over the years and some areas (delays and reverbs for exsample) are pretty deep ;)

Have fun!

• Welcome!

How much sonic variety do you go for generally? If you're at the Angus Young end of the spectrum I'd recommend starting with just 1 Performance with 5 Slots and Rigs that have the different amp/gain settings that you want.

If you need a bit more flexibility, add a Morph to adjust several things at once (eg: increase reverb, boost mids, etc).

If you need a lot of flexibility then multiple Performances with a couple of Slots per song (verse, chorus, bridge) might be the way, but it will be a bit more like tap dancing at times.

• If you can position the Kabinet on stage in front of you, pointing straight at your guitar you can get a bit of the extra "juice" that happens when the speaker interacts with the guitar, without flooding the stage too much.

• Does anyone have any tips for someone starting from scratch other than RTFM?

- Put Rig Manager on your computer/ipad. Makes tweaking a no brainer.

- If a tone feels like it is missing something, put a Treble Booster with MIX at 8-15 AFTER the amp.

- Legacy Reverb has some small room options you can use to get a little amp in the room sounds. Set decay and delay as low as possible adjust with mix at 100% then pull it back to taste.

- The OCD pedal is pretty amazing. Adding a pedal and/or using the AMP MIX to let some clean in can help you get a little more dynamics and feel.

I do not play out live or have a Kab so I have no good tips for that stuff.

Welcome to the family!

• How much sonic variety do you go for generally? If you're at the Angus Young end of the spectrum I'd recommend starting with just 1 Performance with 5 Slots and Rigs that have the different amp/gain settings that you want.

I think to start with I want to build a performance that is a facsimile of what I take out now which, bar a sprinkling of effects, is Clean, Pushed clean, Dirty, Solo (with all the gain to mask the lack of talent) and then work from there.

• the 2011 More Gain AC20 is great for pushed clean right into dirty territory. Simply adjust the gain/choose your pickups and right hand technique as needed.

As already stated, the 1977 Mars Golub is a great dirty sound that I also use to solo live. Push it with a drive if you want 'more'.

Generally, my experience is, that using fewer Profiles sounds 'better' - meaning four sounds made out of two Profiles, instead of four sounds where each consists of another Profile - if you use the sounds in one song.

just my experience ;)