Change of use of my profiler?

• For many years now I use an old Roland FC midi controller to access my profiles, ie, I make one rig for clean (with some reverb) the next rig with distortion and the third with more gain for solo and in System I assign these under 3 different numbers on my midi controller. I have been wondering if this is the right way to deal with the profiler? I see people using pedals with their Marshalls when they need an fx for enriching their sound. It looks more flexible than what I am doing.

How can I use my profiler to be more flexible an maybe more useful in the right way, like pros do? With something else (if necessary) than an old midi controller. Or is there no need to?

• Unless they have about 200 pedals on their board I can't see it being more flexible. Each pedal is usually set for one thing.

If you want that sort of set up I'd say just lock your Stomp and Effect slots and use the remote to turn them off and on individually.

Combine that with Morph to provide solo boosts and you've got a more traditional set up.

• When you use effects live, you are going to want to set it once and forget it. You will see pro players dialing in their effects to their specific settings and leave it and not mess with it during the show. Notice pedalboards on stage and how they put tape or markings on each parameter in case someone moves it. They do the same on amp parameters. Super Pros pay staff to mess with effects backstage as Finally mentions.

The Kemper gives you the flexibility to create Performances where you can have a rig sound different ways for the intro, verse, chorus, etc, and then you go into the next song with something completely different. So you are free to set the Kemper effects at each point (Slot) anyway you want, and do this with one foot switch press at a time.

If you are playing live or to a particular setlist then you want to run in Performance mode. Think of Browser mode as your test mode for tone.

Now, I've never created a Kemper Performance myself, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. ;)

See this...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Hi guys, Thanks to each one of you. I understand it's not quite deviant from what you all do. Concerning Performance mode, like Bayou Texan , I haven't any experience with that either. But thank you for the video! :thumbup:. It has to come that I have to change into this way of new playing and changing sounds for me, at least to take full advantage of all capacities of the profler and where it's designed for.

I'm sure your video will get me on my way.

• Hi guys, Thanks to each one of you. I understand it's not quite deviant from what you all do. Concerning Performance mode, like Bayou Texan , I haven't any experience with that either. But thank you for the video! :thumbup:. It has to come that I have to change into this way of new playing and changing sounds for me, at least to take full advantage of all capacities of the profler and where it's designed for.

I'm sure your video will get me on my way.

For me performance mode is the best way to use the profiler live.

Combined with the remote, its a killer solution. Simple to set up, totally integrated/plug and play, all the sounds in the KPA at your feet. I'm not pro, but I gig very regualalry and apart from having a tech switch for me, I can't think of anything else I'd need.

• Combined with the remote, its a killer solution. Simple to set up, totally integrated/plug and play, all the sounds in the KPA at your feet. I'm not pro, but I gig very regualalry and apart from having a tech switch for me, I can't think of anything else I'd need.

I'm not a pro neither but I like to play like a pro.

https://soundcloud.com/theplay…m_campaign=social_sharing

https://soundcloud.com/theplay…m_campaign=social_sharing

But what keeps me a bit from going is that I worked so many years with my midi board (and Browser Mode!) that spending $ 450 is a lot for something I don't know at all, probably also with a long learning curve. It's the best solution for you but will it be also for me... concerning all of this...

BTW what do you mean with a "tech switch"?

• Do you already use pedals' inputs ?

You could try the morph function first. I think it's more complicated than the stomp switches on the Profiler remote but it'll be a cheaper solution.

I hope you don't already use inputs for volume and Wah...

• I think we all want to play like a pro, hence I found the remote very difficult to beat. $450 is a lot, but to get the most from your $2000 investment, I think its worth it. I can assure you there is very little learning curve but that is up to you - its just a suggestion.

As Wheresthedug said, I meant having a guitar tech do your switching - this is what high end pro's do, I'm not suggesting its a solution.

BTW your recordings - Beat It is a great solo to play, its hard to nail those first tapped harmonics at the start. Ironically I recorded the same solo off the backing track, great fun!

• Could some user explain how to use the remote live/at home? I still have quite some remarks and questions, before buying one.

1. I miss a (volume) pedal. My Roland FC 200 has a dedicated one.

2. Will all my rigs have the same way of access with the remote as with my midi controller?

3. With my Roland I now have 10 banks of each 10 rigs to access. Does the remote work the same?

4. How to go from a clean rig part to a lead part with the remote? Does it need 2 switches for this and a third or fourth for delay and reverb and another for reverb and/or delay (as an example)? And is there still a need to store 2 rigs for this (like I always do now_?

5. Do you access a rig by pressing a switch? and then what about fx for that rig?

6. How to generally assign rigs to the remote? (I now use System - Browse Mode - PhgChg. Works great for me)

7. Do I need to change my way of storing rigs: without any fx because of all those switches?

All those questions... As you can imagine... I'm totally blank of using such a remote and my concern is about the years of using my midi pedal which will it make hard if not impossible to understand something completely new and different...

• you can assign up to 4 effects per switch

Morph allows you to change many parameters at the same time

You can use any 2 expression pedals

In Performance you can set up 1 or several pedals to different sections of a song

And easy to setup

• I had to play with midi with my Helix to command the Powercab + when they launched it but it desappeared after an update, for my greatest pleasure.

I've got the stage but the behaviour is the same as the remote.

Following what you said, it means, you stay in browser mode.

IMO, you will have to change your process but the remote is really simple to understand.

If you stay in browser mode, you can select your preferences to restrict the number of Rigs but the remote works 5 rigs per 5 rigs.

It means you won't be able to pass directly from rig 23 to rig 1...You have to press arrows many times to go back to first level and the switch 1 to go on the right rig...

The easiest way to work is to create Performances. There are 125 ones.

Each can accept 5 rigs. So you can program Performances following the songs you have to play and obtain what you looking for each song's part (intro, rythm, solo...). If in one part, you want to activate/Disable some effects, you just have to program this. Nothing's easier ; just press the switch and the profiler effect button ; done (in the state it was(ON or OFF). You can put many effects per switch. So you can have a chorus ON and a comp+drive+delay OFF. When you press the effect switch the opposite arrives ; chorus OFF, Comp+Drive+Delay ON.... You can not put an effect on two FX switches.

If it's not enough you can create morphes. It's more powerfull, cause you can change parameters themselves. Change the amp's gain to pass from 5.5 to 2, change the delay time, mix, etc....All at the same time just pressing the same Rig switch (the upper led will be brighter).

If you use a pedal you will have all the values between the mini and maxi programmed (or first and second state i should say).

You can do all this with a computer and rig manager (except program FX switches (for the moment)).

• 1. I miss a (volume) pedal. My Roland FC 200 has a dedicated one. - you need a separate controller, the remote supports up to 4. I use a Moog EP-3 which cost me £30

2. Will all my rigs have the same way of access with the remote as with my midi controller? Broadly. You can scroll up and down but its best suited to performance mode. In performance mode, you load up to 5 slots ( amps/sounds) per performance. Plus you can access morph as well. I have mine set up with Clean, crunch, Main rhythm, solo. I have morph on each one with a bit of boost.. You can have up to 125 performances. I use 2 as I have 2 very different guitars and I have them set up to reflect them.

3. With my Roland I now have 10 banks of each 10 rigs to access. Does the remote work the same? 125 banks, 5 rigs each in performance mode.

4. How to go from a clean rig part to a lead part with the remote? Does it need 2 switches for this and a third or fourth for delay and reverb and another for reverb and/or delay (as an example)? And is there still a need to store 2 rigs for this (like I always do now_? Complex question but basically 1 touch. You are just switching between rigs. You cna have the effects on or off when you select and then switch effects on as you would with stomps. You also switch multpile effects on with 1 switch. For example you have a clean rig in slot one, reverb on, phaser and delay off. You can switch phaser and delay on as one stomp switch

5. Do you access a rig by pressing a switch? and then what about fx for that rig? As above the rig has the effects as par the KPA. You can select the fx on and off with one switch.

6. How to generally assign rigs to the remote? (I now use System - Browse Mode - PhgChg. Works great for me) - click and drag in RM into performance mode or you can do it on the KPA. You can have a play with this without getting the remote or impacting your rigs by trying this now. These will just appear on the remote. The only thing you need to save on the remote is effects on and off which all you do is select the effect on the KPA, press the stomp uyou want to assign to on the remote and boom done...dead easy!

7. Do I need to change my way of storing rigs: without any fx because of all those switches? No, its basically the same.

The key really is performance mode. If you are really concerned, have a play with performance mode. This will not break your current browse set up because it takes a copy and then is essentially a new rig. You can manually play around with this without getting the remote and get your head around on whether its for you.

Personally, the remote is the best thing I bought for the KPA. I had a FCB1010 and its streets ahead. Midi is great but it requires more "programming".

Hope that helps.

• Hi V8guitar and Steve5478, Thank you both for your response and taking time to answer my questions. Particularly V8guitar for you very detailed explanation. The remote has indeed a lot options under its hood. I'll go to a Kemper shop and try out this remote. :thumbup:

• Hi V8guitar and Steve5478, Thank you both for your response and taking time to answer my questions. Particularly V8guitar for you very detailed explanation. The remote has indeed a lot options under its hood. I'll go to a Kemper shop and try out this remote. :thumbup:

As I said, I would just get familiar with performance mode first before getting the remote because I think this is as much about that as it is the remote. The remote just replicates that.

You can use the remote with browse mode but its real power is in performance.

• As V8guitar and others have said, the key is in using Performance Mode rather than Browser Mode.

You can use performance mode with your existing Roland Pedal if you want.

Personally I find the Remote so simple and well integrated with the KPA that I dumped my midi controllers for the ease of use which the remote offers.

A good midi controller can undoubtedly do more than the remote but you need to be good at programming the controller and spend the time and effort to achieve what you want. The remote just works straight out the box. However, as you already have the Roland pedal, I would experiment with this in Performance Mode first to get comfortable with the concept THEN decide of a Remote is necessary to make life easier. You may find that you are totally happy with your Roland.

• Hi Wherestedug, You make a very good point there. Reading carefully all about the remote and looking at the video instruction I see that My midi controller can also work with performance mode, just as in browser mode. I notice that, in that case , there isn't much difference between one or another, except for the fact that the remote seems to have has a lot more memory places.

The remote has a screen where the name of the rig also in appears. Since my midicontroller has no screen this is not possible. But I don't need that because I know which song I'm playing(!) and I can also take a look at Kempers screen (which I never have to do because I know my programmed switches on my board).

If you start with your new remote, then after a certain time you can deal with it and some will never had the the experience to work with a midi controller. I have one and I think they both have their own way of use and pro's and cons, no better or worse.

OK, the remote seems to be ready out of the box (but need a cable to be connected). My midi controller also needs a cable and needs program changes for rig assign. And all of this I do at home in a few seconds per rig. I guess also with a remote you can't directly enter the stage and start playing all your songs. You have to know where all of your specific rigs are hidden so I guess have to program also (at home?)

With the remote you can access different fx and/or rigs with the touch of a button but who needs that much switching in a song. In my case I know which fx I need for a certain part and when I'need a clean of a distorted sound. I program all of these parts and divide them over 2 (or occasionally 3) pedal board switches so there's no need for tap dancing. For a a couple of gigs I therefore have plenty of store space

With my midi controller I can control volume with my footcontroller. The remote lacks such a controller and needs an extra pedal. And my expression pedal (wah) goes directly into my profiler at the back.

So in the end I really doubt if it will be a big improvement for me, at least for now. I hope this all will make sense.

Edited 2 times, last by theplayer ().