Factory profiles vs. third party profiles

• Rather than look for a specific amp and ‘that’ sound (like certain Marshall or Fender or whatever), I just go hunting for the sound in my head.

Amp is overrated and cab underrated . 80-85% of the sound is the cab and how it was mic'd that matter the most.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• There are a lot of very good factory profiles and free ones in the rig exchange. If you're a professional you want to avoid the ones that sound great in a bedroom, but have never been road or studio tested.

• Amp is overrated and cab underrated . 80-85% of the sound is the cab and how it was mic'd that matter the most.

Agreed. But not even the best V30 will make a Fender Champ sound anything like a Marshall.😁

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I've enjoyed the Kemper factory content that includes carefully curated third-party profiles. I've also purchased lots of third-party profiles, not because I found them better, but to support the ecosystem.

• I primarily use paid profiles. Even then I purchased packs from a variety of sellers before I settled on one seller's profiles that worked for me. If I only had the factory profiles and the Rig Exchange profiles available to me I likely would have sold my Kemper within a month of getting it. As you can see from the responses there are many folks for whom the factory and Rig Exchange profiles work quite well. It's all a matter of personal preference. I've quit purchasing profiles after having settled into a handful that serve my needs well. It just takes some patience and a little trial and error to find what works for you. Sorta like shopping for a guitar or amp to find the right fit.

• When I first bought my Profiler in 2013, there was only one person offering Commercial Rigs for sale. A second soon followed, and then many more. I have since bought many Rigs from many sources, to use when recording genre-specific music intended for film/tv/commercial use.

Most of the sounds I use live are Profiles of my own Marshall and Fender amps, Factory Content Rigs, several favorites from the Rig Exchange, and Commercial Rigs. My main gig has been being in the same band since before I bought the Profiler, and I'm still using most of those same rigs from the 20teens.

So, another tip comes to mind: Those older Rigs on the Rig Exchange are still worth a listen :)

• When I first bought my Profiler in 2013, there was only one person offering Commercial Rigs for sale. A second soon followed, and then many more. I have since bought many Rigs from many sources, to use when recording genre-specific music intended for film/tv/commercial use.

Most of the sounds I use live are Profiles of my own Marshall and Fender amps, Factory Content Rigs, several favorites from the Rig Exchange, and Commercial Rigs. My main gig has been being in the same band since before I bought the Profiler, and I'm still using most of those same rigs from the 20teens.

So, another tip comes to mind: Those older Rigs on the Rig Exchange are still worth a listen :)

can we get our ears on your own profiles ? :)