All Profiles sound the Same Please help

• I am new to the profiler and all profiles sound the same, they all sound like a wha pedal or some kind of crunch effect I even went so far as to restore to factor but seems like all profiles are using some kind of effect that I have not set up, how can I resolve this. Thank You

• Can you post a clip with several profiles?

Have you checked if some Lock is active?

How are you scrolling between profiles?

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• Padlock on one of the effect, I am running it into a Fender Amp

Are you running the Kemper into an actual (physical) Fender Amp or using a profile of a Fender amp?

Which effect has the lock on it? And what block is it in? (A,B, C, D or X, MOD, DLY, REV)?

You need to supply much more information if users are to help you.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Are you running the Kemper into an actual (physical) Fender Amp or using a profile of a Fender amp?

Which effect has the lock on it? And what block is it in? (A,B, C, D or X, MOD, DLY, REV)?

You need to supply much more information if users are to help you.

I don't know enough about it yet to provide exactly what is asked sorry :/

Yes actual fender amp

The only lock I see is on the distortion effect in block B of the 4 effect blocks.

Does plugging the kemper into a tube amp alter the profile that I am trying to play in that the tube amp will shape the sound causing what I perceive as they sound alike ? If this is correct what should I plug the kemper into ? What does the cab vs amp setting do

The reason I purchased the kemper was mainly to get the tone and sound of some of my favorites and I have a few guitars set up custom for instance my Tele has been modified to match Keith Richards Micawber and my Les Paul has been set up like Slash and I purchased the Top Jimi Profile yet as I said that and tons of others I have purchased all sound the same other than gain and effects but tone nowhere near.

Thanks again don't beat me up to bad I'm new at this and watching lots of videos but have not got my brain locked around it yet.

MICAWBER

Edited once, last by bbheli ().

• Hi there!

You don't want to plug the Kemper into the front of a guitar amp as the amp will add a preamp to an already complete sound, expecting a raw guitar input.

What Kemper device have you got?

Also, what Fender amp? Does it have an effects loop?

• I have a vintage reverb Deluxe and a Kemper Profiler Rack - Unpowered

• As Finally Said. You don't want to use a real amp with the Kemper that way. Of course, that will make all profiles sound the same because what you are essentially doing is making Kemper just a big fat effects box in front of the Fender amp.

Try this first; Plug in only your guitar to the input of the Kemper and use a good pair of headphones on the Kemper headphone jack. Now, play thru different profiles with no effects on at all, and then you will hear a whole lot of difference in tone from one profile to the next.

If you have powered monitors, you can hook them up to the Main Outs of the Kemper instead of using the Kemper Headphone jack. If you want to use your Fender amp as a cabinet for sound then we can help with that too.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• As Finally Said. You don't want to use a real amp with the Kemper that way. Of course, that will make all profiles sound the same because what you are essentially doing is making Kemper just a big fat effects box in front of the Fender amp.

Try this first; Plug in only your guitar to the input of the Kemper and use a good pair of headphones on the Kemper headphone jack. Now, play thru different profiles with no effects on at all, and then you will hear a whole lot of difference in tone from one profile to the next.

If you have powered monitors, you can hook them up to the Main Outs of the Kemper instead of using the Kemper Headphone jack. If you want to use your Fender amp as a cabinet for sound then we can help with that too.

Thank You that seems to make sense now. I was half thinking that, so would the kemper 200 Watt powered Kab and Kone be a good alternative, how could I use my Fender as a cabinet as you mentioned. Thank You!

• I think the Powered Kab is a great choice.

In the meantime if you get the output level from the Kemper low enough going into the Deluxe, and keep the volume on the Deluxe low enough to keep it from breaking up, and keep the reverb on the Deluxe at zero, and disable the Cab section on the Kemper you may have something not too terrible just for having fun.

• Every amp sound comes from the gain stages and frequency controls of the amp and the speaker frequency response. The whole idea of the Kemper is to recreate the tone and gain of the amp and match that with the freq response of the speaker of that amp being profiled.

By running the Kemper thru the Fender, you are undoing all of the Kempers tone by recoloring it to your amps tone.

Solution #1:

If your amp is super clean you can run it like you are already.

Solution #2:

If your amp has an effects loop, you can run the Kemper into the EFFECTS RETURN. This will bypass the amplifiers preamp and frequency controls and give you the best uncolored sound that amp can recreate.

NOTE: Both #1 and #2 will still be colored by your amplifiers speaker.

Solution #3:

You buy some form of FRFR (Full Range, Flat Response) amp/speaker setup. This can be anything from a powered PA cabinet to powered studio monitors. Due to physics, each speaker size recreates a certain freq response well. The ubiquitous 12" Guitar Speaker can't recreate high frequencies very well. It starts to roll off (reduce) high frequency at around 5kHz. So if a Kemper profile has freqs it needs to make above this, your amp will not play them. And all the profiles will sound the same. You will need an additional smaller speaker to recreate the high frequencies correctly. This is why you end up with an FRFR solution that is usually a woofer tweeter arrangement.

BEST FRFR SPEAKERS - Guitar World

Solution #4:

You get the Kemper solution you quoted above. This is an extended range speaker designed specifically for the Kemper. And has additional things that help it work to its fullest potential when used with a Kemper profiler.

I have a low range studio monitor set. And I still feel like a lot of the profiles sound similar. That is how much of an effect the speaker has on your tone. So do a little homework, maybe visit a music store where you can try some options out. Or go for the Kemper setup as an easy button.

It all depends on your needs. If you are setting up a home studio, a nice set of studio monitors would be great choice. If you play loud or with a band, the Kemper solution would be a much better option.

A lot of the pros here use In Ear Monitors (IEM) since they are playing on stages. They really seem to like that option as well. Not so good for jamming around the house where you want to feel a speaker moving some air.

Congrats on the Kemper it is truly a remarkable device!

• The only lock I see is on the distortion effect in block B of the 4 effect blocks.

this means this effect is locked (always active) on all rigs you select, this will of course make rigs sound similar.

press and hold the LOCK button and press the according STOMPS button (B in this instance) to remove the lock.

also, playing through a guitar amp will impart the characteristics of that amp (preamp, power amp, eq) depending on what input you use (front or fx return if available) and of course everything will be highly colored by the speaker.

• The guys have already given you great advice.

One thing that is super important though is to make sure you have the cabinet turned OFF at the Kemper end. Finally mentioned this in post 13 but you may have missed it in amongst all the other good advice.

If you don’t turn off the cabinet section you will have the sound of an amp AND speaker going through another amp AND speaker. As the speaker is the biggest single contributor to the sound of a guitar amp then this will obviously make thing sound weird and probably very similar.

If you are using the Main Outs of the Kemper to connect to your Fender you will need to turn off the Cabinet section in each rig or turn it off and lock it.

If you are using the Monitor Out make sure you have Monitor Cab disabled which will turn the cab section off for all rigs but only at the Monitor Out.

• Longshot here but I am a new Kemper Profiler Head owner. One thing I noticed was on the front display, even though I was scrolling through different profiles, nothing actually changed 'audio-wise'. I then noticed the 'Autoload' selector on the display. Set that. Then push the 'EXIT' button after highlighting a profile using the scrolling. I had watched a couple videos and this was never mentioned.

Edited once, last by PSGfan ().

• Longshot here but I am a new Kemper Profiler Head owner. One thing I noticed was on the front display, even though I was scrolling through different profiles, nothing actually changed 'audio-wise'. I then noticed the 'Autoload' selector on the display. Set that. Or push the 'Enter' button after highlighting a profile using the scrolling.. I had watched a couple videos and this was never mentioned.

Did you download and read Main Manual 8.5? It is really comprehensive source of information including the autoload feature.

• Did you download and read Main Manual 8.5? It is really comprehensive source of information including the autoload feature.

Yes. I am reading it. Just have not finished it yet. I figured out the 'autoload' on my own. One thing about the Kemper is it is not the most intuitive interface for a total newbie. As I progress, I see how it comes together and has a lot of logic to the interface.