Really (!) good sounding reverbs

• Getting and tweaking a really good sounding reverb is hard! So I looked for good options in this forum and I think I found the right place for this. It's quite an old topic from 2015, initiated by meambobbo Jan. 25th:

MAB Advanced Reverb Release 3 + 4 - Rigs

In his topic he adds 2 links which contain all his worthwile presets, as he calls them. I opened these links with WINZIP and see a number of his MAB reverbs. See picture.

They are typed als KPR files but also as KIPR files , so real rigs.

">[Blocked Image: https://www.imgdumper.nl/uploads9/634276b210808/634276b20dc37-reverb_rigs.png]

But trying to open these in Rig Manager for importing them to my profiler, they all fail. Message every time: THE IMPORT FAILED. 1 RIGS WERE DAMAGED.

So I can't get it done... Anyone a solution?

My aim is to get these awesome sounding kind of reverbs. Listen to the examples with the Telecaster (reallly beautiful!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZGpvQaT93Y

(Kemper's tune has a bit of these good sounding reverbs.)

Of course these rigs are all in conjunction with really clean profiles which are also very hard to find (or absent!) in my 976 rigs...(or is this due to using a Les Paul instead of a stratocaster...?)

• In the early days we used the file extention .kipr for Rigs as well as presets.

Later we differentiated between .krig and .kpreset for better clarity.

However, the old files are still compatible.

The size of Rig files has also evolved. It started with 4KB. Nowadays it's more towards 6KB.

And again old files are still compatible.

The size of preset files varies depending on the preset class. The size of an effect preset file is just about 300 Bytes.

• If these files have extention .kipr, I doubt these reverbs are leveraging any of the new reverb effect types like Spring Reverb or Natural Reverb. I guess, these must be based on Legacy Reverbs.

• Thank you for your replies. So I found me some old and probably not suitable reverbs. But my qustio remains. How / where to get those excellent reverbs as heard in the video examples?

And what is the differenc beween a preset and a rig? Can I add a reverb preset to a rig , like all other kinds of fx?

• A rig consists of everything that would be your "rig" in real life ... guitar amp, cabinet, effects AND their settings.

A "preset" is basically just the stored setting of a particular effect type (plus a few more that are irrelevant here).

When you add the effect type "Legacy Reverb" in a slot, it will load with some default setting. Adjust it to taste and store your settings as a preset. Now you can always use that custom made preset on a slot with "Legacy Reverb". Nice thing is, you can even export these presets and share them with others. But they need to go to the presets category in Rig Manager, since they are ... well, presets ... not rigs, not performances.

• The size of preset files varies depending on the preset class. The size of an effect preset file is just about 300 Bytes.

All those files a 1 kb, so they would be presets. But because you mention and doubting these reverbs aren't leveraging any of the new reverb effects, it seems to be of no interest to get them into my profiler. I have to search further...:(

• These reverbs based on Legacy Reverb could be nice. At the end it's a question of taste and application. I would just be surprised, if these are the only "good sounding reverbs" you can find - created before we innovated the reverbs. Have you tried the reverb presets, which are now permanently embedded in the OS?

• Are you tweaking the reverbs against a mix? Once you add a drum track, which will have it's own natural reverb, you might find your original verb setting needing to compensate for that. It may be the same for a live setup depending on the acoustics of the showroom. I find getting that right reverb the most challenging of all effects. You can quickly go from too little to too much.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• These reverbs based on Legacy Reverb could be nice. At the end it's a question of taste and application. I would just be surprised, if these are the only "good sounding reverbs" you can find - created before we innovated the reverbs. Have you tried the reverb presets, which are now permanently embedded in the OS?

I found out that there's another file from meambobbo which contains also quite a number of rigs,

almost all of them 5 kb each. I imported them through RM and they sound very good, much better than I expected, even after 7 years and probably from the pre innovation era of reverbs. Here's a sample I recorded.

https://drive.google.com/file/…TXqOlgve/view?usp=sharing

I guess the new reverbs are in my OS (how to be sure?) but tweaking to a good sounding one is not easy.

But is it possible (because they are named "rigs") to add the ones I have found in the OS for using them as an fx in a random rig want to use? I mean between the new reverbs in the OS?

• Are you tweaking the reverbs against a mix? Once you add a drum track, which will have it's own natural reverb, you might find your original verb setting needing to compensate for that. It may be the same for a live setup depending on the acoustics of the showroom. I find getting that right reverb the most challenging of all effects. You can quickly go from too little to too much.

Hi Bayou Texan, To start with your last remark: it's indeed a hell of a job to compose a reverb that suits your demands. That exactly what I replied to Burkhard and that's also the reason that I look for examples, made by experts and dedicated users with the right know how...

I don't know what you exactly mean with "tweaking reverbs against a mix". In the past I tried (just as any other fx) to tweak a random reverb to be a natural, essential and useful part of a rig, with trial and error.... mostly error.

• Bayou Texans point was what works in solo might not work in a mix or a band context. Just like a rig sounds killer on its own but doesn't gel in a mix or with a band.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Hi Bayou Texan, To start with your last remark: it's indeed a hell of a job to compose a reverb that suits your demands. That exactly what I replied to Burkhard and that's also the reason that I look for examples, made by experts and dedicated users with the right know how...

I don't know what you exactly mean with "tweaking reverbs against a mix". In the past I tried (just as any other fx) to tweak a random reverb to be a natural, essential and useful part of a rig, with trial and error.... mostly error.

I do all my practice with guitar and Kemper through my DAW and playing a backing track (drums and bass). I'll have the drum track playing while I noodle my guitar tone over it so I can see how much reverb to add or subtract based on what genre I am playing. And I mostly do this for any effect. If I practice in the studio with just guitar and nothing else then I might be too much or too little on the effects, and I have to readjust again playing along with the backing track. This will help you to dial in your effects when taking your tone live for a tone check where you might need very little or no adjustment at all.

Another thing that helps me when using ambient effects like reverb and delay is to know that those effects will sort of push your guitar backwards in a mix (backing track). So , the more effect then the more the guitar settles back against the other instruments. It's the same when you boost or cut mids on the EQ. Boosting mids brings your guitar forward like you do for solos, and cutting mids sets the guitar back like what you would do on the rhythm guitar parts.

And again, the genre of what you are playing determines a lot of how you use reverb.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• If your PROFILER OS is current, all reverb effect types are included and can be selected via the standard effect selection screen. All related factory presets are persistent and also available on that screen. Those cannot get lost.

You can also select all effect types and presets via Rig Manager: right click at an effect module e.g. REV and follow the selection from Category, via Type, to Presets/Load Default/Load Type.

If you load an older Rig including a reverb based on one of the old reverb types or an old reverb preset, these will be automatically migrated into the current effect type Legacy Reverb without any sound changes. You can tweak these, create effect presets from it, which you can pick at any time in any other Rig and any other effect module.

It's a bit surprising that you are searching old data for reverbs without awareness of the current set of reverb types and related presets embeeded in your PROFILER - assuming your OS is current. You seem to be lacking awareness of some basic functions explained on the very first pages of the Main Manual.

• It's a bit surprising that you are searching old data for reverbs without awareness of the current set of reverb types and related presets embeeded in your PROFILER - assuming your OS is current. You seem to be lacking awareness of some basic functions explained on the very first pages of the Main Manual.

I'm mostly a player and, like many people, I don't like to spend much time in reading complicated phrases and technical words. I know my English skills in writing but understanding everything that is written in a non Dutch langauge manual is quite a long journey with a lot of big bumps on the road... I've learned to work with my profiler by doing and have come a long way ever since.

I'll check my current OS for the latest update version. Thank you!

• I do exactly the same as you do, but I rarely use backing tracks. I play along with the original and raise my guitar's volume a bit so I will sound slightly louder. And like you, I loop phrases in my DAW for rehearsing parts and finally I record the whole song again but now with my guitar.

And like you, everything is done with my profiler, connected to one of my mixers, a Soundcraft Notepad mixer with usb to my computer and my midi controller combined with 2 KRK studio monitors 100 W each. And all of this in my recording studio at home.

• I don't understand how you can not find a great sounding reverb easily with the Kemper. Have you tried adjusting the reverb parameters or are you just looking for one in a profile that's exactly what you're after?

• I'm mostly a player and, like many people, I don't like to spend much time in reading complicated phrases and technical words.

When you load a preset, you don't load an actual reverb. All you do is to load a description on how the parameters of the reverb are set. And setting those parameters to taste will not result in a god or bad reverb. It will result in a reverb that more or less suits your current need. What I want to say is: there is no magic reverb you can load up.

The parameters for the reverb are explained in the manual. So, if you like it or not, you will need to take the time to read up on those things. Unless you already know those parameters (and what they do) from working with other reverb.

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here