DI Profiles + Monitoring with Combo Amp

• Hello!

Many people say that it is not convenient to monitor with a traditional guitar amplifier. At the same time, I have read countless users using poweramps, 4x12s, combos, etc. as personal monitoring, as alternatives to popular FRFRs, including Kemper Power Cabinets. Can someone tell me if this configuration is consistent? At least in theory...

A) DI Profile of a VOX AC30 (Read that DI P. works better if you are going to use traditional amps)

B) CAB Celestion IR Cream Alnico 2x12

C) Monitor output to a VOX AC30 with Cream Alnico entering via FX Return.

So the formula, I think, is the relationship close as possible between the profile and the cab used, and whatever it is using for monitoring.

Does this make sense?

I read you. Thanks.

• If you are searching for authentic sounds, your DI PROFILE should be in fact a DI preamp PROFILE not including the tube power amp. You would receive such a PROFILER if you picked the signal at for example your AC30's FX Send.

DI PROFILEs picked from a DI box plugged between speaker out of a tube power amp and guitar cabinet, do include the tube power amp, which isn't neutral. If you run such a PROFILE into the FX return of your AC30, it results in applying the sound shaping of a tube power amp twice, once virtually and once physically. Therefor it's not absolutely authentical, but perhaps you like the tone. At the end of the day, your ears decide.

• As above - there's no need for the actual Vox amp in that situation. It's just adding lots of weight and messing with your sound. A simple powered cab or Kemper Kab is a much better idea unless you want the weightlifting effect and a tone that doesn't sound like what the audience hears.

• The balance is still tipping towards a Kemper Power Cabinet... although there is still a bit to go. The fact is, I find the sound I get from headphones so pleasing, that I want the same in an FRFR, and I don't want to make a mistake when buying it. Ultimately, it's all testing, testing, testing, amps, profiles, settings, configurations, until I find what I'm looking for. Thanks friends.